Esiar
F1RE

Christians (According to the Bible) Must Be Obedient

Esiar

Esiar

Pro

This is for anyone who believes that Christians can sin without repentance and still go to Heaven. Anyone who thinks they can explain to me why each and every one of these verses do not teach that obedience to God is required, can accept if they want to (Put your first argument in round 1)

Romans 6:1-2 - "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? Let it not be. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?"

Hebrews 10:26-27 - "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Matthew 7:26-27 - "And every one that hears these sayings of mine, and does them not, shall be likened to a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."

1 Corinthians 13:1 - "And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:4-5 - "Love suffers long, and is kind; charity envies not; charity vaunts not itself, is not puffed up, does not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil"
F1RE

Con

The Christian belief is that we follow Jesus. Jesus is the only person without sin. If we didn't sin, there would be no need for a savior in the first place. Some Christians believe that we only go to Heaven if we repent our sins and ask forgiveness, I'm not one to question their religion. But my Nondenominational Christian religion says that, say you sinned, and on the way home from work you get in a car crash and lose your life, you would still go to Heaven because you committed yourself to the following of Jesus Christ. I think that whether or not you believe you need to repent your sins in order to go to Heaven is all based on your type of Christianity. That's just mine, though.
Esiar

Pro

Biblically, you must repent. Jesus said, "except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.". (Luke 13:3).

On a side note, the Greek word used, means to change your mind, or your inner self changing their mind (In regards to sin).

http://biblehub.com...
F1RE

Con

Again, according to YOUR type of Christianity, you need to repent. Maybe you're Catholic, maybe you're Lutheran, Mormon, Protestant, etc. But in MY religion, we "need not repent thy sins to be accepted into the Kingdom of the LORD."

All I'm saying is, this is an open-ended argument and therefore, there is no correct answer. It is all based off of opinionated beliefs. There is no physical proof and/or evidence and you pretty much decide whether or not you believe in such things. This is all religion and therefore this debate is useless and cannot be answered correctly with substantial proof.
Esiar

Pro

The title is, "Christians (According to the Bible) Must Be Obedient". I showed you from the Bible that we must obey God and repent of our sins. Which means that Christians according to the Bible musy be obedient and repent.
F1RE

Con

I'm going to say this one more time, according to YOUR RELIGION!!! There are different bibles in correlation to different religions! I have a Nondenominational Bible, and Mormons have Mormon Bibles! That is in YOUR BIBLE!!! Not mine!
Esiar

Pro

I said according to the Bible you must be obedient. I showed where that was in the Bible. I was talking about the 66 book Protestant Bible. You'd either have to show why that Bible is wrong, and explain how you don't need to repent of disobeying an eternal holy God, thus meaning you don't have repent of the most unholy wicked act ever, and how you can continue in something God hates without feeling wrong, and still be in God's presence... Or argue out of the 66 book Protestant Bible.
F1RE

Con

Well, you should've stated in your original argument that you were referring to the "66 book Protestant Bible." You can't make me argue about something I didn't sign up for. If it's your religion and it's what you believe in, I can't argue with that! I restate one of my previous arguments when I say that this is an open ended argument and therefore cannot be won. Next time you create a debate, you should use specifics.
Esiar

Pro

You could still "explain how you don't need to repent of disobeying an eternal holy God, thus meaning you don't have repent of the most unholy wicked act ever, and how you can continue in something God hates without feeling wrong, and still be in God's presence. "
F1RE

Con

I asked my Bible Study Teacher (Elmbrook Church) and she said that there are only seven things that you need to know/believe in in order to go to heaven:
1. The Virgin Birth
2. The Sin-free life of Jesus
3. Jesus' death on the cross
4. The three days of Jesus' death
5. Jesus' Resurrection
6. His ascension into Heaven
7. The Holy Spirit

It doesn't say anywhere that we need to repent our sins in order to be accepted into the Kingdom of God. (Once again, this is MY religion. This is what I believe.)
Posted by Hebrew-Israelite 2 years ago
Hebrew-Israelite
If you don't have to repent, then why was Christ a sacrifice for your sins? You have to repent, other wise, there would've been no need for God to send Christ to die for our sins.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
EsiarF1RETied
Reasons for voting decision: The debate was about what the Bible says about obedience. Only Pro offered any biblical passages to support a claim, so arguments to Pro.