DylanKitson
Daboss_McSwag

Christians have awful, homophobic views on certain topics!

Daboss_McSwag

DylanKitson

Pro

The Bible, it has a few good points (Love thy neighbour, don't kill etc.) But to a Christian it is the 100%, divinely inspired, infallible truth. However, it is discriminatory, homophobic, sexist, pro-slavery. Here are just a minority of passages that back up my side of the debate:

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent." (1 Timothy 2:12)

"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel." (1 Peter 2:18)

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." (Leviticus 18:22)

By believing 100% in the bible, you must agree with the above statements - if so, then I wish hell did exist.

- DylanKitson 19:53 07/2015
Daboss_McSwag

Con

I accept the challenge, good luck to you.

Now my opponent has offered several direct quotes from the Bible that are seemingly totally against what Christian beliefs should be. He/she is making a mistake very often made and that is taking the words of a religious book literally. Almost all religious books were written (the Torah, Quran, and the Bible to name a few) in a time where these kinds of laws were commonplace and acceptable. Almost all groups that use such a dated text do not behave in this manner at all (with the exception of some extremists, the most well known being middle eastern terrorist groups) If you meet the average Christian, Jew, or Muslim today they are often kind people who believe in equal rights like everybody else. In my Catholic Church, quotes from the Bible are taught in a way that applies them to modern society, taking into account its laws and rights given to all. I guarantee the average religious person is not anything like these quotes may insinuate.
DylanKitson

Pro

Tell me, how can you take these quotes any way other than literally. Please, tell me how "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." (Leviticus 18:22) - can be interpreted in any way other than it's literal form. The Bible - as interpreted by all Christian denominations - is without error. By its definition it is without error, 100% true (no matter how interpreted).

What is the Bible? It is an ancient novel full of murder, corruption, homosexuality, bestiality, incest and cruelty. It is often read to children on Sunday. Anyone who tells a child this is truth is truely, and honestly an awful detriment to humanity.
Daboss_McSwag

Con

Again, my opponent makes the same statement off of a select few quotes in the Bible. These quotes have never been taught in any sermon I have ever listened to. Furthermore, my opponent fails to address my statement on the behavior of those of the Christian faith. I reiterate, there are some extremists who are an exception to this, as there are with any belief be it political or theological. The members of the Christian faith do not behave in this manner at all, nor do they hold belief in a literal interpretation of these quotes. They accept them as a part of the society in which they were written. My opponent is taking a small, obsolete portion of a huge book based on love and kindness and using it to judge a religion that has moved beyond that time period it long ago. The Bible also contains rules on how to properly collect a harvest in the desert, but are all Christians desert farmers? No, yet my opponent is basically making statements assuming they are the same as this old society.
DylanKitson

Pro

DylanKitson forfeited this round.
Daboss_McSwag

Con

I stand by my arguments
DylanKitson

Pro

DylanKitson forfeited this round.
Daboss_McSwag

Con

Vote Con.
DylanKitson

Pro

DylanKitson forfeited this round.
Daboss_McSwag

Con

Vote con.
Posted by mikethedebater 2 years ago
mikethedebater
It seems that Pro is too hard set on his opinion that us christians are homophobes that he doesnt want to listen to reason. shame :(
Posted by Alpha3141 2 years ago
Alpha3141
So, whats wrong with the Bible?
Posted by SeekinTruth 2 years ago
SeekinTruth
"Anyone who tells a child this is truth is truely, and honestly an awful detriment to humanity."

Those be fightin' words, friend.
Posted by Alpha3141 2 years ago
Alpha3141
Your problem is that you do not take into account the context of some of those verses
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
DylanKitsonDaboss_McSwagTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so I award conduct to Con.