Christians should not practice gay marriage

Before I start going into rules, good luck to whoever accepts. I'd first of all ask that no hate speech be posted either in the debate or comments. Second, I'd like to ask not to debate on the validity of gay marriage in a secular society but rather pertaining to Christian teachings. I would prefer to debate a Christian for a more in-depth point of view, however it does not matter that much to me. Opening and closing statements don't have to stand in themselves, evidence can be presented in any of the 5 sections.

Romans 1:26-28 says:
26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. 28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.

Leviticus 18:22 reads:
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 says:
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Leviticus 20:13
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

1 Timothy 1:10
The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

Jude 1:7
Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

These are all of the Bible verses DIRECTLY relating to homosexuality. In addition to this, many others talk about how Adam and Eve were made for each other, and also that a man should marry a woman and vice versa to stop sexual immorality. So quite clearly, Christians are prohibited from practicing gay marriage.

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate. I am an atheist, though I have been a Christian before and I still admire the religion and the teachings of Jesus. First, I would like to focus this debate on the person that Christianity is based off of, Jesus. I will focus on Jesus's teachings and how Christians should completely forget about the old testament because it is not what Christianity was supposed to be.

1. The New Testament and Old Testament don't go together- If you have ever read the Bible you would know that the God in the old testament and the new testament don't go together. In the old testament it teaches of a God that punishes the evil and the rules you should follow. Noah and the ark is a story of how God wipes out the evil on the Earth. It stresses the idea of God being an all-powerful all-knowing being. In the New Testament, we see a different God. The loving father. Jesus teaches man to love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus taught a forgiving God. Jesus also died for our sins. But, take this sentence very seriously if you are a Christian. If Jesus died for all our so sins, than that would mean everybody would go to heaven. At first, I would be startled that the "bad guys" would not go to hell. But now I understand it clearly. Every human thinks that they are doing the right thing. Every human commits self-righteous acts. Hitler justified his acts in the name of Christianity. Criminals who steal justify what they do in saying that they were just trying to improve their livelihood. If Jesus died for our sins, than that would mean that there would be no Hell. New Testament and Old Testament don't mix.

New Testament-The New Testament is Christianity. If you focus on the old testament than your a Jew. The Torah is the old testament. Christianity was created to bring the love part of the Bible, not the hell part.

If Jesus died for our sins, than he also died for the gay Christians.

1. You have said in your first argument that the New Testament and the Old do not go together. However, that is slightly flawed: the Old Testament outlines many laws that Jesus practiced and taught. In one of the verses in the Bible (forgive me, I do not have the exact verse) the Pharisees challenged Jesus, asking which of the Ten Commandments was most important. Jesus responded by saying that the first commandment (to love God) was the most important, but that the second (love your neighbor) was next in line. Case in point, the Ten Commandments and some other teachings are still relevant despite the New Testament eliminating many. Jesus did die for all of our sins- but in order for a gift to be valid you must accept and use it, right? If you got a gift card for your birthday, you would most likely use it how it was intended- to spend. In this case, to get to heaven you must accept Jesus and strive to be like Him.

I would also like to clarify that I was not citing simply being gay as a sin, but rather engaging in homosexual acts and/or marriage. Jesus most definitely died for gay Christians but in order for them to be saved they must repent of any sin, just like the rest of us.

You say that my first argument is slightly flawed. I understand that Jesus said alot of of the things that the old testament said. But that still doesn't say anything. Jesus as you admitted eliminated alot of things in the old testament. Name one place in the new testament in where Jesus said anything about gays going to hell. Name one place in the new testament in where Jesus himself said if you do not accept me as your savior you will go to Hell(Doesn't that seem harsh. Your basically saying that anyone that disagrees with you will be sent into internal hell. I doubt Jesus ever taught that)

2. Here is where I am a bit confused. You clarify that being gay is not sin but engaging in homosexual acts is and if gay christains do repent there okay. Clarify this, because gay Christians can technically with what you have just said still be ingage in homosexual acts and repent and still be Christian.

You have asked me to provide times when Jesus says anything about going to Hell. I will oblige.

Mark 9:43-48
Matthew 23:33
Matthew 5:22
Matthew 5:29
Matthew 5:30
Matthew 7:13
Matthew 10:28
Matthew 18:9
Matthew 23:15
Luke 12:5
James 3:6

In addition to Jesus speaking about Hell, we also see it in these verses.
Jude 1:23
2 Peter 2:4
2 Thessalonians 2:3

So, even in just the New Testament, there is quite a bit about Hell. Now, you bring up the point that it is harsh for someone to go into eternal hell because they don't believe in Jesus. The thing is, it is not because they are bad people but because Jesus is the only way to repent of sins. One cannot achieve heaven by their own works, but must accept the gift.
Back on track, I apologize for my bad wording. What I mean by that is that one can't be a hypocrite and still expect the reward. It's all about the mindset. The mindset of "I can do whatever I want and Jesus will forgive me" is wrong. The correct mindset is "I'm not perfect, I will fall. But when I do, Jesus will be there to catch me." So yes, a person who commits a homosexual act can go to heaven. But only if he or she has the right mindset and corrects his or herself, and repents.

Ariesx forfeited this round.
Posted by crys 1 year ago
i dont think if a christian guy falls fr any1 . he has d choice to do whtever he wants .it his lyf he has d power to control his lyf
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff a round, so conduct to Pro. All other categories were even.