Christmas has lost its meaning

The 'Christmas' festival began as a Christian religious event celebrating the birth of Jesus. However in the current day, religion has become a lesser focus for most people and Christmas has become a festival of consumerism. A spend-fest where people are wastefully given things they don't want/need and people feel obliged to buy things.

Christmas hasn't, and will never, lose it's meaning.

Christmas is a time when you are all together as a family.

Grandma's came over, and she brings cookies.

Gramps is over, and he gives you "wise" advice that won't help you anytime soon.

For kids, Christmas is a lesson of family time, and celebrating the birth of our savior. That cannot be better celebrated by a huge family "reunion". When they buy presents, they are showing a sign of love. This is where you feel a sense of belonging, you're part of a family, something bigger than yourself or your toys.

For adults:

Maybe your kids have came over.

Maybe their kids have came over.

It's a time to reflect on the beautiful family you made.

Christmas has never lost it's meaning, it only adds something deeper. Instead of celebrating Jesus, you are celebrating Jesus and the blessings that God has blessed you with. It is a beautiful holiday.

I agree with you with regard to viewing it as a social gathering, or a celebration of family. However in the mainstream there are many other threads running through it which defeat this. A family gathering of the kind you describe does not need to cost a great deal.

What I see in the mainstream is people spending in excess, often putting themselves into debt because they feel obliged to due to peer pressure. In the UK, and I suspect elsewhere, there are a number of businesses, frequently advertising on TV, based entirely around the notion of 'helping people save for Christmas', and showing imagery of consumer goods to sway people. None of this is needed to have a happy family gathering.

How much of what people get landed with do they actually want? How much of that ends op getting resold, given to charity, tossed out, or sitting around as clutter? I remember after last Christmas, ebay was running a front page saying 'resell unwanted presents' or something to that effect. Most adults get what they need for themselves.

The festival has swayed from being a family and/or religious event in to a consumer spend-fest.

You can pose the same argument for Hanukkah. I don't know much about Judaism, but I know that it was a festival to celebrate the freedom of the Jews from the Romans. And it's turned into an eight day gift shower.

But while you are spending money for other people's gift, other people are spending money on yours. It's nice to know that somebody cares about you, and for me, at least, it feels good knowing I love somebody enough to want to spend lots of money on them.

You are celebrating your love of Christ through your love of other people. There is nothing better than that.

Even though this debate part was brief, I'd like to ask you a simple question: Are you looking forward to Christmas this year?

Because it sounds like you are questioning the nature of Christmas itself.

I'm unable to comment on Hanukkah as I know very little about Judaism. Though I guess that it's transformation, along with Christmas, is part of a seeming general trend in society towards consuming/materialism, instead of creating by one's self. It is not something that makes much sense to me as I've always been creative and find value in what I do/know, not in what I have. I don't feel it is necessary to spend in order to show that you care about your family.

Christmas is not something I take much of any notice of anymore, I see my family every day.

But Christmas is different.

You still celebrate Jesus Christ, you do.

You celebrate him through loving your family.

The sound of presents being opened.
The warm glow of your fireplace.
Tucking your kids in, letting them look forward to "Santa".
The smile on their faces.
The smell of the cookies you just took out of the oven.
God is with you.
Jesus is with you.
That's Christmas.
Posted by BarbarianLover 1 year ago
Because I'd only just signed up and I thought I'd posted it in the debate page rather than the comments page, hadn't quite figured out how the website works at that stage.
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
@barbarian lover, then why didn't you accept the debate to say that?
Posted by BarbarianLover 1 year ago
Firstly, a lot of the Christmas traditions are not Christian, the time of the year coincides with several pagan midwinter festivals which are held around the shortest day of the year, the celebration being the return of the sun as the days get longer.

I'm aware that in many parts of Northern Europe it was the feast of Odin/ Woden and the tradition of bringing a tree into the house is actually Nordic, the norse used to build their houses or great halls around a tree and the tree was meant to represent Iggdrasil the universe tree which the norse believed held the various realms of reality in it's branches.

Add to that Santa Claus/ Father Christmas which are both Christian sounding names with Saint and Father respectively, a sleigh or sled is far more useful in the snow of scandanavia than it is in Bethlehem.

So with this in mind is it right to consider the true meaning of Christmas to have a Christian focus?

Secondly what are the things that are said to be brought by the birth of Christ? Many people refer to "peace on earth and good will to all..." (it traditionally says "all men" but that feels a little sexist), now this is an attitude held by many around this time of year who wouldn't consider themselves Christian, indeed I'm at college today and I've seen muslim women in seemingly Christmas themed hijabs.

With these two arguments in mind I think the spirit of Christmas can be celebrated by anyone, but it's become more accessible and open to more people and this welcoming attitude, the bringing together of people, this inclusivity of modern Christmas feels like something which can absolutely be condoned.

And ultimately if it's said that Christmas is for Christians then perhaps the point has been missed even by Christians, if the focus is on the birth of Christ then surely that was something for everyone, it seems he did not come for one group but for the world, so why should it be denied to those who don't affiliate with that particular group?
Posted by JayConar 1 year ago
Christmas is still about religion, religious carols are sung etc. It has become less about religion than it used to be and more about consumerism and family, but that's a good thing.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Both had proper conduct throughout. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling and grammar. Arguments - Con. Pro presented a compelling case regarding Christmas turning into an excuse for excessive consumerism/materialism. Con rebutted by stating that it relates to celebrating Jesus and coming together with family. Unfortunately, Pro never really rebutted against this, but instead just kept re-iterating that it revolved around consumerism. What Pro should have done was show increasing trends in consumerism compared to decreasing trends of religious observation during these holidays. Unfortunately, this wasn't the course of action Pro took. Due to Pro never really rebutting against the Christianity point, Con wins arguments. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.