Christmas is the most important Christian holiday.

This round is for acceptance. Only if you believe in God (the Christian God) you can debate me.

First of all Christmas is not the most important holiday.
The most important is New Years. New Year emphasizes happiness.

Chinese New Year is a festive occasion that calls for celebration in many places around the world. "

What do people do?
Chinese New Year is the most important and longest of all Chinese festivals, celebrated in Chinese communities throughout the world. Chinese New Year celebrations have certain variations from country to country but they all usually include offerings to household deities, house cleaning, new clothes, a large banquet, ancestor worship and firecrackers. Families may gather for special meals on this occasion.

People may also wear red clothes and give children "lucky money" in red envelopes. Household doors are thrown open to let good luck enter on the first day of the New Year. Families go out to visit friends and worship at temples. Words are carefully watched to avoid saying anything that signifies death, sickness or poverty.

Chinese New Year may also feature lantern festival, where people hang decorated lanterns in temples and carry lanterns to an evening parade. Dragon and lion dances are performed around this time of the year with many people supporting the long dragons, which are typically made of silk, paper and bamboo. Acrobatic demonstrations, the beating of gongs and the clashing of cymbals are also popular activities as part of the Chinese New Year festivities.

Public life
Chinese New Year is a public holiday in China, where the public holiday lasts for about three days. It is also a public holiday in countries such as Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, North Korea, Singapore, South Korea, and Vietnam.

It is not a public holiday in countries such as Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom or the United States. However, some businesses may close early and some streets may be closed for a short while to allow for festival parades to take place.

The Chinese New Year festival is believed to date back to prehistory. It marks the start of the new lunar cycle and is called the Spring Festival (in the northern hemisphere) as it falls between the December solstice and the March equinox. China follows the Gregorian calendar for daily business but the dates of the Chinese New Year and other important festivals are determined by the Chinese calendar.

The Chinese New Year, which is the first day of the first month, in the Chinese calendar is assigned to an animal. According to one belief, Buddha promised gifts to all animals that would pay him homage. Only 12 animals came to honor Buddha so, to favor these 12 animals, each one was given one of the 12 years of the Chinese zodiac. People born during one of the animal's years are said to inherit distinctive characteristics of that animal. The signs repeat every 12 years. The animal signs are:

Rat " ambitious and sincere.
Ox " bright, cheery, and a leader.
Tiger " courageous and sensitive.
Rabbit " talented and loving.
Dragon " robust and passionate.
Snake " wise and strong-willed.
Horse " attractive and popular.
Sheep " aesthetic and stylish.
Monkey " persuasive and smart.
Rooster " pioneering spirit and wise.
Dog " generous and loyal.
Boar (or pig) " gallant and noble.
The Chinese calendar is based on astronomical observations of the sun's longitude and the moon's phases. It is believed to have been introduced by Emperor Huangdi (or Huang Ti) at some stage around 2600 to 3000 years BCE. According to legend, the emperor invited the calendar in 2637 BCE. This calendar predates the Gregorian calendar, which was introduced in 1582. The Chinese lunar calendar is used to determine festivals, so the dates of these festivals vary each year. Various Chinese communities around the world also use this calendar.

Chinese New Year has various symbols and traditions. For example, flowers are an important part of New Year decorations. Two flowers that are often associated with Chinese New Year are the plum blossom (courage and hope) and the water narcissus (good luck and fortune). Writings that refer to good luck are often seen in homes and business environments. They are usually written by brush on a diamond-shaped piece of red paper. Tangerines and oranges are also displayed in many homes and stores as a sign of luck and wealth.

Envelopes with money (Hong Bao, Ang Pao, or Lai See), often come in the color red, which symbolizes happiness, good luck, success and good fortune. The color red is also used on these envelopes to ward off evil spirits. These envelopes are mainly given as presents to children. Each Chinese New Year is associated with an animal name for one of 12 animals in the Chinese zodiac, as mentioned earlier.First day
The first day is for the welcoming of the deities of the heavens and earth, officially beginning at midnight. It is a traditional practice to light fireworks, burn bamboo sticks and firecrackers and to make as much of a din as possible to chase off the evil spirits as

Okay, firstly, you're supposed to be debating for Christmas, not New Years!

And by the way, Easter is the most important CHRISTIAN holiday because if Jesus Christ hadn't died to save us from our sins, then he would've just been some random mortal being who magically was able to perform miracles.

-Christian definitions-

Christmas-Jesus Christ's birth
Easter- Jesus Christ's death (33 years later)

Merry Christmas everyone!

I am saying that Christmas is not the most important holiday. So your response is invalid. Merry christmas and have a happy New Year!

Round 1 was supposed to be for acceptance. And because you've agreed to debate the pro side of the argument, you're supposed to be debating FOR Christmas, not New Year's! So, for your past arguments, you've actually been helping me instead of yourself .

Happy New Year's everyone!

ohh i forgot i was pro. ARGHH Christmas is one of the nation's most important holidays, the majority of Americans say, even more than those who listed the Fourth of July.
A Rasmussen Reports survey of 1,000 adults, conducted Dec. 15-16, found that nearly nine out of ten Americans celebrate Christmas. Only 7 percent consider the holiday one of the least important while 71 percent consider it one of the most important.
On a more religious note, 65 percent of Americans would like to see more emphasis on the birth of Christ during the season and 59 percent plan to attend a Christian Church service on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.
Another Rasmussen Reports survey found the 69 percent of Americans prefer stores to use the phrase "Merry Christmas" in their seasonal advertising rather than the generic "Happy Holidays." An earlier Zogby International poll found the 95 percent of Americans said they were not offended by a "Merry Christmas" greeting in stores.
Major retailer Wal-Mart welcomed back the Christmas phrase to their stores this season. And the war on Christmas is dying out.
After battling an "outrageous" attack on Christmas last year, Christians are happy to see a more peaceful Christmas season this year.

"ohh i forgot i was pro."-point for spelling and grammar-
"A Rasmussen Reports survey of 1,000 adults, conducted Dec. 15-16, found that nearly nine out of ten Americans celebrate Christmas. Only 7 percent consider the holiday one of the least important while 71 percent consider it one of the most important." You said ONE of the least important.

And this was supposed to be for the most important CHRISTIAN holiday! If Jesus hadn't died on the cross, he would have just been a regular mortal being who magically had the power to perform miracles.

I didn't expect you to report back so fast, so Happy New Year's again!

hat is Christmas?
The word Christmas comes from the words Cristes maesse, or "Christ's Mass." For Christians, Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus, and it is generally thought that the first Christmas took place in Rome in 336 A.D.

Christmas is both a holiday and a holy day. It is an important religious day for Christians and is one of six holy feast days celebrated in America. It is recognized as a major holiday by U.S. public institutions, including government and schools - even many businesses give people the day off for Christmastime.

(Thanks for howstuffworks for much of this information.)

For some this is what Christmas is all about

Source: By Botticelli ( [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Ads by Google
Explore Acer Chromebook
Boots in seconds. Virus protection built-in. For $199.
Corporate Events
Plan Your Next Event at Hard Rock Meetings, Launch Parties & More.
Become a Social Worker
With an Online Master's from USC. No Relocating Required. Learn More!
Top 10 Reasons Why I Love Christmas
Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. Not just my favorite holiday, mind you, but my favorite time of year, period. It's not necessarily because of the presents, although I do love buying presents and receiving them isn't bad either. And I'm not religious either. There's just something about the season, the time of year, and the atmosphere that makes Christmas my all-time favorite.

10 . The weather is one of a kind.

I live in the Bay Area of California, so we don't exactly experience snow to the extent the East Coast does. However, winter still means mittens and scarves for us. Skirts and flip flops get old (though there are those who still stick to them when it's cold).

9. The movies and music are unforgettable.

Christmas music has become such a significant part of my holiday experience. It starts when my mom and I wake up at 4 a.m. for Black Friday shopping (which we have done for years), and we drive over the river and through the woods to go to the stores - we listen to the same Christmas albums every year (including Kenny Rogers and Celine Dion), and it isn't Christmas to me without them.

"Jingle All the Way" is one of those movies the whole family can watch without getting mad (except when my parents gripe about Arnold's job as Governor of California). Otherwise, we all enjoy those holiday films and episodes we scrape out from the bottom of the VHS box and view... old school "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," Garfield and Charlie Brown Christmas specials, and, of course, "It's a Wonderful Life."

8. Things smell so good.

Christmas trees, cinnamon and spices, cold ground after rain and snow, baking hams... yeah...

7. The food is delicious and so special.

Besides fruitcakes, there are dozens of holiday treats that make my mouth water. Egg nog and Christmas cookies included... these are things I look forward to every year.

6. The decorations are fantastic.

Face it: nothing can beat the loaded window displays, the ribbons and garlands around every lamp post, the glittering lights of various colors and doilies, and nativity scenes, and the trees...!

5. ...Presents.

Need I say more? I'm a big fan of wrapping presents as well (not true for my dad though). I am known for buying my presents early and being able to find the best gifts. There's nothing like finding the perfect gift for someone and seeing their reaction when they rip open the wrapping paper.

4. It's not necessarily JUST for Christians and Catholics.

I am not of any denomination, yet I absolutely adore Christmas. It has become so commercialized that agnostics like myself can still experience it. But the devout can still enjoy the holiday for everything it symbolizes and celebrates religiously. To me, the wonder and glory of Christmas as I know it is something I want to share with everyone. And who knows? Usually I go to church with my Christian mother and partake in the songs too. I may not be very pious, but I respect what Christmas means to those who are.

3. It's celebrated all over the world.

While there are world issues that separate nations and peoples, Christmas is something that people around the world can share.

2. Family comes together.

Christmas is about the only time of year I see people outside my immediate family. They come to the house and we get to regroup for the first time in 364 days. It's the closest I feel to my family and it makes me feel so grateful to have them in my life.

1. Everything is so happy.

In spite of mad shoppers and grumpy retail workers, I revel in the air of Christmas. As cliche as it sounds, it really is magical to me. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

You were supposed to be debating that Christmas is the most important holiday for CHRISTIANS, not society! Society has basically ruined the true meaning of Christmas for Christians-the birth of Jesus Christ-and turned it into some fantasy Santa Claus crap that breaks little kids hearts when they find out that he's not real. And also, you were saying stuff about why YOU like Christmas!

Sigh* I have to do it all over again.

Anyway you said that i am suppose to say that Chirstmas is the best holiday and i told you now you want me to change it .

Posted by The_Master_Riddler 3 years ago
What the heck! Epic fail!
Happy Kwanzaa!
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: pro messed up the debate
Vote Placed by Stupidwalrus 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: No, you don't.
Vote Placed by DarckShadows 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I vote fairly