Finalfan
Kinryu

Chrono Trigger vs. Final fantasy VI

Started: 3/20/2015 Category: Games

Finalfan

Pro

Which game is better.. should this be a rap battle? Are you familiar with both games and think you can defend Final Fantasy VI against Chrono Trigger?
Kinryu

Con

Look forward to an interesting debate. Final Fantasy VI all the way!
Finalfan

Pro

Wonderful! Thanks to my opponent for his enthusiasm and excepting this challenge! I would like to start by reviewing a little bit about my history with these two wonderful games. I will keep it short but sweet. Back in the mid 90's the Super Nintendo dominated my childhood. My fondest memories came from the gifted minds of Square Soft. Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI were arguably the best of this era. However Chrono Trigger has always had the edge in my opinion. Akira Toriyama
Nobuo Uematsu, Y$3;ji Horii, Kazuhiko Aoki, Hironobu Sakaguchi (aka The Dream Team) IMHO succeeded in creating the best game ever made. Nostalgia aside, I intend to defend its title and explain why it even beats out my favorite Final Fantasy game.

1. Characters: I want to be honest here and say I love Final Fantasy VI. Its character roster is a big part of what makes it a standout title in the series. However Chrono Trigger makes up for quantity with quality. Crono is a silent protagonist but that didn't help me feel any less attached to his journey. When he dies, try visiting his mom and try not to feel his loss. Watch the scene where you resurrect Crono with Lucca or Nadia in your party, powerful stuff. Lucca is such a B.A. nothing short of a genius. Not only does she invent a way to use the gates for time travel but she also gets awesome gifts from her father. Nadia (aka Marle) is my favorite video game "princess in disguise". With her perky adventurous attitude and courageous attempts at being a "normal" citizen, how can you not find this loyal team member charming and surprisingly original. Glenn (aka Frog) is your classic knight with emotional baggage. Normally I would find this to be clich"d or even boring but this frog has always kept me cheering. With his failed attempt at defeating his nemesis "Magus" he goes into hiding. With the help of Crono and the Masamune (Coolest weapon ever) he redeems himself and regains the confidence to become powerful enough to help stop an apocalypse. Ayla is so strong she doesn't need a weapon. I found myself with Ayla in my party whenever she was available. Her power and useful abilities make her a no brainer in configuring a tough as nails party. Her lovable prehistoric background makes her a very interesting companion, not to mention she can throw a heck of a party. Prometheus (aka Robo) is one of the most believable and emotional AI in all of video games. I never thought I would get so attached to a robot. This amazing robot even helped rebuild an entire forest which took him 100 years. Now I have saved the best for last. Want to know how Chrono Trigger beats out Final Fantasy VI in the character department.. You guessed it.. Janus (aka Magus).. This is in my opinion the greatest RPG character EVER!!! Not only is he one of my all time favorite villains he becomes one of my all time favorite party members.. I pity anyone who decides to battle him with Glenn. They would miss out on one of the most exciting video game surprises in history. Janus becomes a fully playable character and is easily better than any character in Final Fantasy VI (sorry Terra and Locke). Top that off with Lavos, Schala, Daulton, Ozzie, Flea, and Slash to round out an amazing cast.

Story: Final Fantasy VI is always famous for its villain destroying the world. Kefka aligning a few statues vs Lavos landing on Earth in the Prehistoric era and draining the planets energy finally releasing the energy causing the apocalypse. Lavos gives new meaning to the word parasite. Lavos's gut wrenching scream always beat out Kefka's telltale laugh in my opinion. Lavos even kills the main protagonist and lays waist to to a powerful civilization. Who could forget watching Zeal crash into the sea? One thing that makes Chrono Trigger stand out, not only as a game but as science fiction story: Time travel!!! Brilliantly scripted and balanced, you really felt as though you were changing events in history. Rarely does a time travel story weave such a complex web while remaining coherent.

Gameplay: One of my favorite parts of the game is after Daulton makes Epoch (time machine) airborne you have full access to all time periods and continents. How awesome is it to go back in the past with your magic pendant. Charge up the treasure without taking it. Then travel to the future to the same treasure that has been powered up into an awesome weapon or armor. The sun stone, the forest.. so many wonderful events that help create a storytelling masterpiece!

I need to cut this short so I don't run out of time.. I eagerly await my opponent!
Kinryu

Con

Characters:
While you said Chrono Trigger had better characters, I have to disagree. FFVI manages to have both quality and quantity with its characters. While I can't go over every character, I will try and hit the major ones.

I'll start off with Terra, the "main" protaganist. Terra was born in the Esper world, though she was captured by Emperor Gestahl. Kefka later puts a slave crown on her, which forces Terra to obey Kefka's orders. When she is finally rescued and free of the slave crown, she is amnesiac, confused, distrustful, scared. Terra is very emotional (sad) throughout the game, and leaves her friends twice. After failing to stop Kefka from destroying the world, Terra finds herself unable to fight.
"I don't know why these kids need me... And it's not like there's anything forcing me to protect them. It's the strangest
feeling... But once that feeling took root inside of me, I lost the strength to keep on fighting. "
Square Enix Final Fantasy VI Advance (in English) 2007-02-05
In the end she manages to pull herself together and joins the others to fight Kefka. When Kefka asks why they fight, Terra answers "love". When Kefka is finally killed, Terra uses the rest of her power to help the others get to safety. Because of her love for the children she took care of, she survives and becomes fully human (she was half-Esper, half-human).
Throughout the game she undergoes change, finds the strength she never had. "Thank you... You all helped me understand what it means...to love. I'll fight! I'll make this world a place where life can flourish, and children can grow up in peace!"

Next up is Shadow, a lone mercenary who would "kill his best friend for the right price". His only companion is his dog Intercepter, and shows disdain to everyone else. However, he saves other party members multiply times, one example being where he saves the group from a burning building. His 'ultimate sacrifice' is when he faces Kefka so the other party members can escape. (You choose whether or not he lives or dies. I assume you wait for him). When the group goes and faces Kefka again, Shadow says "friends and family are nice to have..." Under a facade of a cold blooded killer and loner, Shadow has proven to be a trustworthy 'friend'.

Celes is another interesting character in FFVI. Celes starts out independent and aloof from the group, but begins to become attracted to Locke. Throughout the game we see their relationship flesh out. One of her more memorable scenes was at the opera house, with Celes impersonating Maria.
https://m.youtube.com...

The last character I will go over is Cyan. He arguably has the most tragic story of all, the entire nation of Doma, including his wife and son, killed by Kefka. He later has to see the spirits of the victims of Doma, including his wife and son, board the train he was just on (Phantom Train). He is forced to watch them depart, only further adding to his grief.

I'm running out of time, so I'll stop there for now. Sorry for taking so long, will be writing more in the future.
Finalfan

Pro

Finalfan forfeited this round.
Kinryu

Con

We have agreed to end debate and restart.
Finalfan

Pro

Finalfan forfeited this round.
Kinryu

Con

Debate terminated. Code 1569 Codarl. ------------------
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
Finalfan
thank you! I will post a challenge as soon as I get some free time here.
Posted by Kinryu 2 years ago
Kinryu
Yeah, starting over would be for the best. I also have been rather busy.
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
Finalfan
I was hoping you would be o.k. with starting this over? When I started this I didn't think I was going to be so busy!
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
Finalfan
No biggie. I almost ran out of time when I was writing round 2. Didn't think I was gonna be so busy :)
Posted by Kinryu 2 years ago
Kinryu
Sorry for making you wait so long, will have arguments by tomorrow.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
Damn. That's a hard one.