colormecourtney
Biggbrother

Chuck E. Cheese is a conspiracy against America.

Biggbrother

colormecourtney

Pro

The following is a general overview of what I will be arguing:

As a current employee at Chuck E. Cheese, I witness first hand, the evils that lie within the building on a day-to-day basis.

Value: Morality
Value Criterion: human equality, individual welfare
Biggbrother

Con

There isn't a conspiracy against the U.S. by Chuck E Cheese. CEC entertainment has won the Best People Practices Award for diversity and for having one of the lowest management & hourly turnover rates.

The owner Nolan Bushnell (founder of Atari & Pong), in May 1977. The first Chuck E. Cheese's was located on Winchester Boulevard, in San Jose, California. The concept for Chuck E. Cheese's evolved from Mr. Bushnell's belief that there were not enough places where young people could go to play video games that had a family atmosphere. (CEC website)

Nolan has also opened other like minded restaurants that benefit various organizations like the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

Con is seeing what the con personally wants to see due to low but competitive wages and actually having to work.
If Con is assessing one restaurant she should contact CEC entertainment so that the heads can remedy any problem she may have.
colormecourtney

Pro

First off, I would like to thank my opponent for participating in this debate. Secondly, I would like to point out that my opponent is unaware that he is taking the con side of the debate. In his previous argument, he referred to my argument as 'con' when I actually am taking an affirmative stance on this debate. Thank you.

Contention 1: Chuck E. Cheese over-prices the products they sell to weaken Americans, targeting their financial situations.

A regular-sized soft drink (in comparison to their size "small") costs $1.89 in Chuck E. Cheese store 0748. With tax, this drink costs $2.04. When guests come to visit a friend, naturally, the friend will offer a drink. Chuck E. Cheese offers it's guests the option of a drink, knowing that most (if not all) guests that walk through their doors will want a beverage. They profit from buyers approximately 150% because "the soda (being supplied and advertised by coca-cola) only costs about $.02," says Tisha, assistant manager to Chuck E. Cheese store 0748.

It is an observed fact that a large fraction of Chuck E. Cheese guests are typically African-American. According to http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com..., African-Americans hold the lowest income rate. Chuck E. Cheese targets children and low income families by two different slogans of theirs:

"Where a kid can be a kid."
"Admission to the fun is always free."

Children and parents hear these slogans and receive subliminal messaging. Parents are forced to feel that they have to let their child act immature and run around like wild animals without supervision inside Chuck E. Cheese because they will be letting their child act like the "kid" they are. AND IT'S FREE!!! With the help of Pasqually the chef, Jasper T. Jowls, Mr. Munch, Helen Henny, and Chuck himself, warp the minds of Americans. Jasper and Pasqually are known for their jokes and mean comments to to Mr. Munch, the constantly hungry, purple monster. Helen Henny has been used to portray and perform songs by a non-desirable role-model Janet Jackson, who has been known for some "questionable" actions. Not only do these characters set a bad example, but they're used to manipulate the minds of Chuck E. Cheese guests. It is a fact that Chuck E. Cheese's robotic head has been seen to be turned completely around in a way comparable to "Chucky" the evil red-headed doll. (As reported by manager Lauren and former employee Sarah from store 0748.) CEC Entertainment is, thus, violating human equality by targeting the lower-income families and manipulating the minds of innocent children with their demonic puppet creatures.

This is immoral because the employees at Chuck E. Cheese are forced to monitor the children and because the parents complain to the employees if they feel like they are being over charged, which leads to my second contention...

Contention 2: Chuck E. Cheese employees are overworked and underpaid.
While some Chuck E. Cheese employees are forced to spend thirteen hour shifts standing in one place doing nothing but stamping hands and opening a magnetic gate, some others are made into "party hostesses." These hostesses are, by far, the most overworked employees. These employees are forced to tend to every need of parents and children and are forced to remain with the party the entire time. Parents often get disgruntled about the price of their bill and have been seen to threaten and curse at employees because of the bill. The hostesses are also required to put on a "Live show" which is where the hostesses force the children to memorize a new dance in within a two-minute time period, where the children are then instructed to walk around in circles doing this dance in a Nazi-like fashion.
In addition, these hostesses rarely get tipped for all of their hard work and labor. CEC Entertainment goes out of it's way to make clear to parents that they are not required to tip. It is repeated on the "party reservation hotline" and then printed on the bottom of the guests comment card. While some of these hostesses have been employed with CEC Entertainment for over a year, and are still making $7.50 an hour (After getting superior ratings on cast member reviews), they deserve AT LEAST a five dollar tip from hosting these parties (which is NEVER a full 15%).

Chuck E. Cheese is known with employees for giving raises very scarcely. Also, hours are dramatically cut during the months of March-June. In addition, Chuck E. Cheese's adult guests do not always monitor their children's behavior. Employees are often forced to handle children's poor behavior instead of the parents taking responsibility. When employees "wake-up" Chuck E. Cheese, they have been seen to be attacked and beaten (literally) by young children because parents do not control their children. It is also observed that some employees have been forced to "wake-up" Chuck E. despite the fact that they have serious allergic reactions to the costume. Employee Jason, of store 0748 has been seen with discolored, scratchy, irritated, cut-open skin conditions after being forced to wear the Chuck E. suit despite his severe allergic reactions. CEC Entertainment treats their employees unfairly and is a "Penny-pincher" business, when it is most unnecessary.

I would also like to state that despite my stance on this debate, I actually love my job. However, Chuck E. Cheese has ulterior motives.
Biggbrother

Con

Thank you for clarifying it was the end of the day blah blah first debate blah.

The Pro has to prove that there is a conspiracy against America. The pro has not done this. The pro is merely arguing that an isolated place is having isolated problems. "to Chuck E. Cheese store 0748", "from store 0748", "of store 0748 "

If there is to be a conspiracy there has to be more than two and committing an Illegal act.

Charging for food and drink and entertainment is called business. Insuring that your guest are having a good time is called customer service.

the pro says they charge for drinks. Yes Most restaurant do. Chuck E Cheese also provides pizza and salad bar for a price to go with that drink.
Chuck E Cheese also offers saver packages that reduce the price of the food and drink as well as a given allotment of tokens to play with.

"Where a kid can be a kid."
"Admission to the fun is always free."

"Children and parents hear these slogans and receive subliminal messaging"

Advertising is not a crime. The FCC does not allow subliminal messaging.

I ask can a kid be a kid in church?
What is the fee for fun as a kid?

"Parents are forced to feel that they have to let their child act immature and run around like wild animals without supervision inside Chuck E. Cheese because they will be letting their child act like the "kid" they are."

child act immature?
If the kid is running around unsupervised, where are the parents forcing them to act like wild animals.

Again the pro states that the immorality is of the forced customer service of employees.
Again I state that this is nothing more than a managerial problem, and if said employee does not like the policies of a business, said employee should call upper management and complain or quit.

Contention 2 is the second verse same as the first

It is a business. Like it or leave it.

This whole debate has been about personal and personnel issues. There has not been an argument stating a "conspiracy" against America.

It sounds to me that Chuck E Cheese 0748 needs a new manager.

There still isn't a conspiracy.
colormecourtney

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for his rebuttal.
First off, I would like to define conspiracy.
According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary, A conspiracy is "the act of conspiring."
The definition for 'conspiring" from the same dictionary is "to join in on an unlawful OR WRONGFUL act..."
not necessarily illegal.

In contrast to my opponent stating that my usage of store 0748 as an example is an isolated instance is entirely incorrect. As many debaters know, observations are typically included to strengthen ones debate. Just because the basis of my experience is founded at store 0748, does not make it limited.
In fact, this debater can also use other observations from other Chuck E. Cheese stores. I have personally had encounters with employees of other stores and have been to them as well. So if the negative debater chooses to attack that part of the case, remember observations are merely examples of when things have been wrong and are not limited to those previously mentioned.

All of these stores have the same problems and this can be confirmed by the man who invented the "Kid check" system, Steve Rieburg.

In fact, the Chuck E. Cheese store which formerly held its location in Florissant, Missouri was shut down due to poor conditions. It suggested that this store was not properly maintaining their building, thus diseases were spread, leaving Chuck E. Cheese's advertisements to blame. A kid can't be a kid if their dying of germ-related illness.

Also, St. Charles, Missouri's store has been questioned as to whether or not it maintains its facility. The conspiracy against America is starting in the center of our nation and working its way to the coasts. Before we know it, Chuck E. Cheese will conquer the world, already having their stores in five different countries by spreading germ-related illness throughout the globe.

Unless the con has any evidence to prove that the affirmative is incorrect, I urge voters to affirm in this debate.
Thank you and a have a magical day. :)
Biggbrother

Con

Main Entry: 1il�le�gal
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)i(l)-ˈlē-gəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French or Medieval Latin; Middle French illegal, from Medieval Latin illegalis, from Latin in- + legalis legal
Date: 1538
: not according to or authorized by law : unlawful, illicit ; also : not sanctioned by official rules (as of a game)

notice that the definition of illegal states that it is unlawful.

conspire
transitive verb
: plot, contrive
intransitive verb
1 a: to join in a secret agreement to do an unlawful or wrongful act or an act which becomes unlawful as a result of the secret agreement b: scheme
2: to act in harmony toward a common end

Main Entry: con�spir�a�cy
Pronunciation: \kən-ˈspir-ə-sē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural con�spir�a�cies
Etymology: Middle English conspiracie, from Latin conspirare
Date: 14th century
1: the act of conspiring together
2 a: an agreement among conspirators b: a group of conspirators

these are all from the pros used website

The pro has claimed that there is a conspiracy against America yet has shown no evidence to prove so.
The pro has merely presented evidence of a business doing business and employees having to work.

All of this from one location.
The pro states in rebuttal that Chuck E Cheese shut a store down due to poor conditions. Again CEC showed care for its employees and customers by not allowing them to enjoy work or have a good time in a dilapidated building.

I restate that if the employees do not like what is going on in their establishment , I encourage you to complain to headquarters. I hope that you and any other store suffering from poor management will have it swiftly remedied.

As far as conspiracy there isn't any. By the definition a conspiracy requires 2. By the examples or observations there is nothing illegal in the selling of products and services.

Without 2 or more committing an illegal act there is not a conspiracy.

Thank you
Posted by Timeline 8 years ago
Timeline
I agree with Biggbrother. I fail to see a true conspiracy theory in all of this.

"conspire
transitive verb
: plot, contrive
intransitive verb
2: to act in harmony toward a common end <circumstances conspired to defeat his efforts>"

Just because CEC has high prices does not a conspiracy make. There is nothing wrong with being a little pricy, and even if they are agreeing to overcharge, it does not become illegal to do so just because they agree with each other. They have not signed a "trust" to overcharge for fun. That said, if CEC's prices weren't competitive, then they simply would not be around. People would go other places for their fun. Competitive/High pricing does not mean conspiracy. As far as the guest being "African American". Thats called marketing. An industry that really came into light during the baby boom, when companies "targeted" teenage baby boomers. Its a great way to stay in business, and obviously CEC isnt forcing anyone to go and eat pizza and have fun their. The customers, if really economically hardpressed, would probably forgoe the fun of CEC.
Posted by MasterDebaterts 8 years ago
MasterDebaterts
Please lets stop the rude comments, both cases were well thought out.
Posted by Biggbrother 8 years ago
Biggbrother
Yes you are win
Posted by dr_evil 8 years ago
dr_evil
I'm more pretty than everyone.
Posted by MasterDebaterts 8 years ago
MasterDebaterts
I think this has all got out of hand. My comment was simply a joke. Courtney is a freind from school and her personell apperance did not change my decision on the debate in any way. I am very sorry that my joke caused so much tention and i will keep my personell opinions to myself from now on. Please do not allow my comment or courtneys beautiful face to change your opinion on the winner of this debate. Lets all be mature and stop making ignorant comments in a sad attempt to get more votes (that last comment was directed at biggbrother). Good luck to you Courtney!
Posted by colormecourtney 8 years ago
colormecourtney
AND for your information, Masterdebaterts is a friend from school and was just kidding about that remark.

(Sorry about all this. I just don't like disrespect and sheer ignorance in a debate. :))

Thanks again, haha.
Colormecourtney
Posted by colormecourtney 8 years ago
colormecourtney
Unfortunately, the con is incorrect in my intentions, yet again.
I didn't type the entire definition for two reasons:
[1] The last bit of the definition i used appeared, to me, irrelevent.
[2] If you knew anything about debate, you would know that debaters chose ONE definition of a word and use it to strengthen their case. Debaters do not use multiple definitions for one word because it is not the way the word is being used in their case.

You are welcome to have a different definition for the word, because you may be percieving that word to have a different definition in this case.
I used the definition of the words that *I* saw were the proper usage. Pardon me, for not seeing things the same way you do.

Also, I think you aren't being very sportsmanlike. Learn how to debate properly, please.

Thanks,
Colormecourtney
Posted by Biggbrother 8 years ago
Biggbrother
All that aside, thank you for the debate.
Posted by Biggbrother 8 years ago
Biggbrother
a popularity contest this will be fun

" I would also like to compliment my opponent in his ability to copy and paste." I did it with this too
I only copied and pasted from you Merriam Webster website because they had more definition than you were willing to disclose.
still no worries you didnt present a conspiracy.
by the looks of it I was right you have five people commenting because your "P.S. You are a very b-e-a-u-tiful lady courtney"

"did you ever stop to think that a good amount of people are simply going to feel inclined to vote for the innocent looking, smiling girl then they are for the attrociously evil looking evil clown? I could see that hurting the stats!"
so find some more friends and have em vote for ya !
Posted by Charlie_Danger 8 years ago
Charlie_Danger
Lol, we can tell by the stats exactly who's winning.

We should debate an LD topic, Courtney!
Vote Placed by Timeline 8 years ago
Timeline
colormecourtneyBiggbrotherTied
Vote Placed by colormecourtney 8 years ago
colormecourtney
colormecourtneyBiggbrotherTied
Vote Placed by MightyMo 8 years ago
MightyMo
colormecourtneyBiggbrotherTied
Vote Placed by Madoki 8 years ago
Madoki
colormecourtneyBiggbrotherTied
Vote Placed by Alex 8 years ago
Alex
colormecourtneyBiggbrotherTied
Vote Placed by Mgrffn 8 years ago
Mgrffn
colormecourtneyBiggbrotherTied
Vote Placed by dobsondebator 8 years ago
dobsondebator
colormecourtneyBiggbrotherTied
Vote Placed by Charlie_Danger 8 years ago
Charlie_Danger
colormecourtneyBiggbrotherTied