Kylar
Peili

Church Denominations should each have their own flag

Peili

Kylar

Pro

Should denominations of the Christian church have their own flags like the Episcopal, Methodist, and Presbytarian Churches do? I believe YES and I will explain more in the later rounds.
Good luck to my opponett :D
1st round: acceptance and opening statements
Peili

Con

Individual Christian denominations should not have their own flag. There is one commonly accept Christina flag, and there is all that there should be. Anything beyond this would be a mistake.
Kylar

Pro

Thank you for this debate :).
You are correct, there is a common Christian flag...but not every denomination for instance the Lutherans and Episcopalian use it. The Episcopalians have their own flag that identifies and distinguishes them from other denominations, as do the Methodists. The Lutherans and Baptists, and other groups need their own denominational flags to show them as a unique denomination.
I will explain more in the later rounds,
thank you for this debate :)
Peili

Con

It is true that the common Christian flag, while almost universally recognizes, is not universally used. That is a mistake. A single flag is sufficient. Without ignoring the distinctions between different denominations, Christians have only one. All Christians are part of one body in Christ. As Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:4-6, " There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all."*

The Christian flag should represent this. Many different flags is show of disunity. A single flag recognizes that we have one faith in one Lord. Whatever is gained by unique flags for each denomination is more than outweighed by the damage done in focusing on what separates Christians from each other.

While the differences in denominations can be meaningful, a flag is simple symbol and should focus on what is most important " the crucified and risen Christ. The message is best symbolized by a single flag used to represent all Christianity. Using different flags for different denominations is a mistake.

*https://www.biblegateway.com...
Kylar

Pro

Kylar forfeited this round.
Peili

Con

Pro forfeited.
Kylar

Pro

I regret that forfeiture, as I was on vacation. I will say this, having different denominational flags shows what different denominations stand for.
Peili

Con

Different flags do not show what a denomination stands for. They only show which denomination is represented. People must still do the research to know what the denomination stands for. Different flags provide no advantage in this aspect.
Kylar

Pro

But flags also show the distinction bewtween denominations. As much as I would want all denominations as one body in Christ, they can't in this sinful world. Therefore, let the flags fly to show the distinctions.
Thank you so much for this debate it has been a good one :)
Peili

Con

There are distinctions between denominations. Some of the distinctions are valid and important. However, a flag is not the way to explain such differences. There are core doctrines that unite all Christians, and the best use of a flag is to show that we are part of Christianity in general. Our focus should be on that which unites us instead of that which divides us. A single flag for all of Christianity is one way to do this.
Vote Placed by Mister_Man 1 year ago
Mister_Man
KylarPeiliTied
Reasons for voting decision: "While the differences in denominations can be meaningful, a flag is simple symbol and should focus on what is most important" is what won it for me. A very different debate, good job to both for producing decent arguments.
Vote Placed by Dilara 1 year ago
Dilara
KylarPeiliTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with both