Church is a business, selling faith and hope.

My family left "the church" when I was 6. The reason being was my father was told he was not "worthy" of baptizing my older sister. The church told my family that my grandfather was to complete the baptism. Of course my grandfather was a more prominent figure in the church, and a huge financial contributor and still is today.

Today's Christian churches operate as a business, and favor their "customers" who are larger contributors to the organizations agenda.

The church is not a business, selling faith and hope. Business is commonly defined as a process of exchanging goods or services for economic benefit. While the church is an entity whose basic existence is to give hope. With this, I would like to point out certain points.

Point 1: More often than not, personal experiences are only mere over generalizations.
Please note that your argument is a personal experience only. It does not hold water in this debate. As the matter was raised, there might be circumstances that you might not have a knowledge of.

Point 2: The world's baptized people are mostly comprised of people who do not have the capacity to be large contributors.
Based on various sources, we can tell that developing countries have the most recipients of baptism. In a developing country, people often do not enjoy income distribution equality. Sometimes, they cannot even complete the basic three meals per day. Yet, they are baptIzed. Though, not accorded with the same luxuries which the affluent can afford. Not being a contributor in the church does not compromise your right to be baptized. It only compromises the luxuries of a grand baptism. Grand baptism entails having a longer baptism rite, flowers, red carpet and other unnecessary luxuries.

Point 3: Giving favor is not included in any process of doing business, rather, a personal relationship.
Business often has a rule, " There is no free lunch". Favor seems like having free lunch. We can all see here that favor is not related in any way to doing business. Generally, people in business who do indeed do "favors" are most likely to collect these "favors" in one way or another by some near future. People in business rarely do things without value, even time is gold. Giving favor is basically not expecting any return. So here I say, "favor" is a wrong word to use. Instead, you can always say "give".

Point 4: Churches do indeed give their major donors some privileges. There is nothing wrong with it.
When a church gives special attention or token to their donors, that is due their desire to encourage more donors. Getting more donors is also a priority of the church. Aside from daily operational expenses, churches basically needs to help and support some of their unfortunate flock. Help and support without finances, seem like talking without doing. Hope must be not only be an impossible dream. To fulfill the dreams, the church must do something, as long as it does not violate morals.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to debate on this matter.

I don't completely understand how you feel that the church does not provide a service in exchange for a percentage of your income. It is widely accepted that Christians shall give 10% correct?

Churches also hire staff to fill positions, such as book keepers etc. The whole structure resembles a Business,

From cnn:

"Mega churches across the United States are becoming increasingly popular which is not only bringing thousands of worshippers together, but also billions of dollars in profit.
From self-help books to CDs and DVDs, mega churches are becoming big money makers for the pastors and ministries they are a part of."

How do you not see a parallel. Of course within this organization you are taught how to think and maybe this would sway your thinking form a logical point of view.

In the USA churches are a billion dollar industry in fact. And pastors are the CEO's driving this force.

Thank you for pointing that out. In the first place, your statement "Church is a business, selling faith and hope." is very general. You must have made it a point that you are only referring to the country USA. Also, your argument is a type of faulty parallelism. Hiring staffs is basic in all organizations, whether for profit or not.

Just because USA has mega churches, doesn't mean the world world has it. Moreover, USA has one of the most competitive economies. Therefore, many prominent and well to do people can really contribute to church welfare. That is just a normal case.

Last, I would want to stress that as long as the Church doesn't mistreat us or deprive us of our basic spiritual needs. Whatever special treatment or privilege they have accorded to the rich, we have no reason to envy or question us. Simply because such situation doesn't harm us.

This clearly does not apply to only in america. The vatican holds enough gold to cure world hunger. Christians are not only in America, and whether a church is a mega church or not they still operate on similar principals.

Not for profit organizations often hide some secrets... such as world vision's CEO salary is half a million a year. Justified? Not for profit, for profit, what's the difference? all you have to do is make sure your revenue does not exceed expenses in salary, etc and you did not make a profit. But you still operate as a business.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with making the spiritual choice to join a church. Some may see value in this and some may not. However you don't have to look to hard to see the reality that church is a form of business selling faith and hope. I do see value in many aspects of the church and I can see how many would take part in these organizations however we must keep an open mind and critical thinking.

I think your points are mere biases and hearsay, simply because they are baseless. It does not hold water in this debate.