Railsguardian
abard124

Cigarettes are, overall, more detrimental to the overall well-being of Americans than alcohol.

Railsguardian

Railsguardian

Pro

I am resolved that cigarettes are, indeed, more detrimental to the overall well being of Americans than alcohol.

I await my challenger's opening statement.
abard124

Con

Thank you for instigating this very interesting debate.

Now, I do not smoke or drink. They are both very unhealthy habits and should not be encouraged. However, as a whole, Americans are hurt more by alcohol by cigarettes. While cigarettes themselves are less healthy than alcohol, they are also much less commonly used. Also, alcohol is much more likely to hurt people indirectly, such as drunk driving accidents.

Approximately 21% of American adults are smokers [1]. By contrast, 54% of American adults are drinkers [2]. That means that there are more than twice as many drinkers than smokers in the US (there's your math lesson for the day). Obviously, that means that twice as many Americans are likely to be hurt by alcohol than are likely to be hurt by tobacco.

Also, while smoking does do horrible things to your body, Alcohol does too, and it also impairs your mind temporarily. So, not only is alcohol giving you cirrhosis, it also impairs your judgement, so it makes you go have sex with that woman who you perceive at the moment to be particularly attractive, and then you pick up AIDS. If you don't like that example, here's another. You get in the car with 4 of your friends, and think that you only had a few, so you should be okay. Instead, you proceed to run into a car containing a woman and her two children. You all die. So, while smoking will kill you slowly, alcohol will kill 7 people quickly. If you smoke in the car, your friends might be uncomfortable, but unless you completely seal the car and smoke a couple packs, they won't realistically be at any higher risk for some terrible disease. You will, but they won't.

I am eagerly awaiting your response!

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. [PDF] http://www.udetc.org...
Railsguardian

Pro

I thank my opponent for his response.

First of all, my opponent states that:

"While cigarettes themselves are less healthy than alcohol, they are also much less commonly used."

Less commonly used? Probably. But just because alcohol is 'used' more than cigarettes doesn't necessarily mean that it is more detrimental to the well being of Americans. For instance, a man in his mid-thirties takes a drink in his home on a late Friday evening. He's just gotten home from work and decides to kick back in front of SportsCenter with a cold beer.

That's it. Nothing dangerous happens. He's not driving. He's not drinking an entire six pack. Just. One. Beer.

My opponent makes the assumption that the more of the substance, the more of the negative impact. Really, that can either be true or false, depending on the situation alcohol is used. Yes, it can be harmful and yes, it CAN kill people. But other times, it can be used in moderation and not cause harm to anyone at all. On the other hand, cigarettes always, every single time one is smoked, has a detrimental effect on the health of the user. Cigarettes are a major cause of:

- Heart disease [1]
- Bronchitis [1]
- Emphysema [1]
And
- Stroke [1]

It only takes one cigarette to become addicted to nicotine. Once you become addicted, you need more and more and more and more, and the continued addiction to cigarettes will start to literally eat away at your life. When you smoke, the tar from the cigarettes starts to build up in your lungs. Like soot in a chimney, the tar will start to accumulate in your lungs over time. Unfortunately for smokers, there is no way to clean that chimney. The tar eventually leads to cancer. The mixture of chemicals in the cigarette also temporarily increases your heart rate and blood pressure, straining your heart and blood pressure. Over time, this will only get worse and worse, causing your heart to have to strain harder to pump more blood through your narrowing blood vessels, slowly killing you over time. Also, men who smoke are ten times more likely to die from lung cancer from the tar and tobacco smoke. The blocking of the arteries can also lead to blood clots, thus causing a heart attack. And, smoking during pregnancy can lead to low birth weight, pre maturity, spontaneous abortion, and perinatal mortality - otherwise known as fetal tobacco syndrome.

My opponent then states that "Alcohol also impairs your mind temporarily. So, not only is alcohol giving you cirrhosis, it also impairs your judgement, so it makes you go have sex with that woman who your perceive at the moment to be particularly arrtractive, and then you pick up AIDS."

While you may go and have sex with that woman, you don't necessarily pick up AIDS. You might just go and have sex with that woman with no un-pleasant side effects. Then again, you might or might not have sex with her at all. With cigarettes, there is a guarantee that something bad will happen to you (and there are many, many things that can happen to you). As far as alcohol goes, all of that is pure speculation on something that may or may not take place, as compared to pure, concrete evidence that smoking is bad for you and your health.

My opponent then illustrates an example of driving under the influence (commonly known as DUI). Yes, this is a common occurrence in the United States, but when you compare the overall statistics of how many people die from accidents (that may or may NOT have been from drinking) to how many people die from heart disease ALONE, the accidents pale in comparison. When compared to overall deaths in the U.S...:

Leading causes of death in America (2006) [2]

1. Heart disease: 631,636 (majorly impacted by smoking) [2]
2. Cancer: 559,888 (majorly impacted by smoking) [2]
3. Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 137,119 (impacted by smoking) [2]
4. Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,583 (probably impacted by smoking) [2]
5. Accidents (unintentional injuries): 121,599 (possibly car related, maybe alcohol related) [2]
6. Diabetes: 72,449 (not impacted by smoking or drinking) [2]
7. Alzheimer's disease: 72,432 (not impacted by smoking or drinking) [2]
8. Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,326 (majorly impacted by smoking) [2]

Totals:

Deaths impacted by smoking - 1,509,552
Deaths (possibly) impacted by drinking - 121,599 (and that's being generous)

Finally, my opponent makes the point that smoking doesn't have an impact on the people around the smoker.

It does.

Second hand smoke, otherwise known as Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS), causes cancer in people who live with a smoker. It is responsible for many, many deaths, infections, and detrimental effects to people in the United States, including:

1. 46,000 deaths from heart disease in non smokers who live with smokers [3]
2. 3,400 lung cancer deaths in non-smoking adults [3]
3. 150,000 to 300,000 lung infections in children younger than 18 months of age [3]

If an adult drinks in a house among other people, they, themselves, may or may not be harmed by the drug. Unlike cigarettes, a drink does not travel like a toxious cloud and harm everyone living with the person. The amount of damage it does is in direct proportion to the amount of people actually ingesting and using it, unlike smoking, which can harm you even if you are around it at all, even if you don't use it. Why do you think they make designated smoking areas in amusement parks? Because its toxic to be around whether you are the person smoking it or not. Therefore, it detrimentally affects the American public by ONE person smoking. Yes, the same can be said for alcohol, but there are many other factors that need to occur for it to be detrimental to others besides the one drinking:

1. Is the drinker driving?
2. How intoxicated are they?

This is compared to smoking, when only once factor needs to be considered:

Is the person smoking?

In drinking, the severity of the person's intoxication depends on how much they are drinking, thus why there is a legal blood-alcohol level. It takes at least a few drinks to be over that limit. In smoking, however, one cigarette is already too many, and is already enough for the user to become addicted.

I excitedly await my opponents response!

1 - http://www.cancer.org...
2 - http://www.cdc.gov...
3 - http://www.cancer.org...
abard124

Con

Thank you for your thoughtful argument!

You begin to talk about how every single cigarette has a negative effect on ones health, while every single alcoholic beverage does not. This is absolutely an erroneous claim. Every single thing which you put in your body affects your health. And one cigarette won't hurt you much, if at all.

"Cigarettes are a major cause of:"
Heavy drinking is a major cause of
-Heart disease [1]
-Dementia [1]
-Cancer [1]
-Stroke [1]
Looks a bit familiar, eh?

"It only takes one cigarette to become addicted to nicotine."
Not necessarily. Perhaps for the sensitive. But the sensitive can also become addicted to alcohol almost as easily.

"Once you become addicted, you need more and more and more and more, and the continued addiction to cigarettes will start to literally eat away at your life."
See: Alcoholism

"When you smoke...slowly killing you over time."
I'm not denying that cigarettes are horrible for you. I have never smoked, it's a disgusting habit. But just because McDonalds makes you fat doesn't mean that Burger King doesn't also make you fat. Just because smoking kills doesn't mean that drinking doesn't also kill. For example, when alcohol gets to your liver, it will cause it to scar. Scar tissue doesn't do the job of the liver. This is cirrhosis.

"And, smoking during pregnancy can lead to low birth weight, pre maturity, spontaneous abortion, and perinatal mortality - otherwise known as fetal tobacco syndrome."
I find it quite funny that you post this. It is actually illegal in the US to sell alcohol to pregnant women. Fetal Alcohol syndrome is much more severe and common than Fetal Tobacco syndrome.

"As far as alcohol goes, all of that is pure speculation on something that may or may not take place, as compared to pure, concrete evidence that smoking is bad for you and your health."
Once again, you are ignoring the fact that alcohol causes health problems as well. My point was just that, in addition to those health problems, there is an added risk of doing something stupid.

"Yes, this is a common occurrence in the United States, but when you compare the overall statistics of how many people die from accidents (that may or may NOT have been from drinking) to how many people die from heart disease ALONE, the accidents pale in comparison."
So all heart disease is now caused by smoking? Tell that to my grandmother who died of congestive heart failure. She never smoked a day in her life. My grandfather has had more than one heart attack. He too has never smoked. While smoking does raise one's risk for heart disease, you made an erroneous claim in that argument, implying that they were all caused by smoking, which is not the case.

"1. Heart disease: 631,636 (majorly impacted by smoking)"
And also by heavy drinking. And also by family history, such as my own.

"2. Cancer: 559,888 (majorly impacted by smoking)"
Also by drinking. And many other things as well. Even lung cancer, which is almost always seen as a disease that smokers get, isn't always caused by smoking. I know two people who have gotten lung cancer, and neither had ever smoked. Sadly, they did both pass away.

"3. Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 137,119 (impacted by smoking)"
Once again, heavy drinking as well. And once again, tell that to my grandmother who had a stroke yet never smoked.

"4. Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,583 (probably impacted by smoking)"
I can't deny that.

"5. Accidents (unintentional injuries): 121,599 (possibly car related, maybe alcohol related)"
Often alcohol related. Sometimes not.

"6. Diabetes: 72,449 (not impacted by smoking or drinking)"
True, however diabetics are much more likely to die if they drink alcohol [2].

"7. Alzheimer's disease: 72,432 (not impacted by smoking or drinking)"
On the contrary, it is affected by both. In fact, it is estimated that 10-24% of dementia cases are caused by alcohol consumption [3].

"8. Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,326 (majorly impacted by smoking)"
I've gotten the Flu many times. I know a bunch of people who have gotten Pneumonia. We're not smokers.

"Deaths impacted by smoking - 1,509,552
Deaths (possibly) impacted by drinking - 121,599 (and that's being generous)"
You're making the same erroneous claim that all of these deaths are caused by smoking. Maybe a lot of those people just got unlucky. As I'm sure you've picked up, I have a pretty crappy family history, yet none of my family has smoked (with the exception of one grandmother who was a light smoker and eventually quit).

"Finally, my opponent makes the point that smoking doesn't have an impact on the people around the smoker."
I'm sorry, I was unclear. Secondhand smoke is a huge problem. However, it isn't as immediately dangerous as getting in a car with someone who is drunk.

"Unlike cigarettes, a drink does not travel like a toxious cloud and harm everyone living with the person."
First of all, I really like that word, toxious. Somewhere between toxic and noxious. More seriously, while there is not secondhand alcohol, so to speak, heavy drinkers are much more likely to abuse their family members. How many stories have you seriously heard of parents beating their kids without it being alcohol fueled?

I am looking forward to your response!

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...
3. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Railsguardian

Pro

I thank my opponent for his insightful response!

Firstly, my opponent makes the claim that:

"One cigarette won't hurt you much, if at all."

Actually, it does. Every time you smoke a cigarette, you lose 11 minutes off of your life, guaranteed. [1]

Second, my opponent claims that I made an "erroneous" claim by saying that every single alcoholic beverage doesn't have a NEGATIVE effect on one's health. I didn't say it didn't have an effect on one's health, I just said it didn't have a negative effect on one's health.

Third, my opponent claims that HEAVY drinking is a 'major' cause of:
"-Heart disease
-Dementia
-Cancer
-Stroke"

First of all, major means:

"Greater in number, quantity, or extent " {2}

On my opponent's claims on heart disease:

According to a source my opponent provided ( http://en.wikipedia.org......
):
"...One study found that men who drank moderate amounts of alcohol three or more times a week were up to 35% less likely to have a heart attack than non-drinkers, and men who increased their alcohol consumption by one drink a day over the 12 years of the study had a 22% lower risk of heart attack..."

Really? Alcohol HELPS PREVENT heart attack? Amazing!

They say that, when used in moderation, alcohol can actually PREVENT some diseases!

When smoking is used in moderation, it kills you.

Remember,t eh focus of this debate is to argue whether or not smoking has a MORE DETRIMENTAL effect on the health of Americans than alcohol, not whether or not alcohol has any detrimental effects on Americans health; it does. We are debating whether or not smoking has a worse effect on Americans health. And as far as heart disease goes, it does.

On cancer:
My opponent stated that Cancer is "Also impacted by drinking. and many other things as well ... pass away."
That wasn't my point. My point was that Cancer was MAJORLY impacted by smoking, not that it was the only thing that caused Cancer, because it obviously is not. Again, the argument is on whether or cigarettes are more detrimental to Americans health than alcohol, not if they are the only detrimental things to Americans health.

On strokes:

My opponent states that "Once again, heavy drinking ... never smoked."
That, again, isn't/wasn't my point. My point is that smoking had a role to play in causing it, not the only role. It is extremely true that people die from strokes without ever touching a cigarette.

Next, my opponent states that I make another error when I say that all of these deaths were caused by smoking. I might have mis-worded my statement. It can be said that those deaths could POSSIBLY be impacted by smoking.

According to (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com...), 440,000 annual deaths each year are smoking-associated, compared to 100,000 deaths each year caused by drinking a alcoholic beverage. {3}

Then, my opponent admits that secondhand-smoke is a huge problem, but says that it isn't as immediately dangerous as getting in a car with a drunk person. Well, it all depends on what you mean by dangerous. Whenever you are around an active smoker, you are being affected by secondhand smoke (a contributor to the 440,000 deaths mentioned above). Again, with drinking, their are other things to be considered if you are talking about danger. If you're talking about smoking, there is always a danger.

Last, my opponent asks "Where have you heard of parents beating their kids without it being alcohol fueled?"

Well, there's the one-third of cases that were NOT alcohol related {4}. So in all actuality, there are a good number.

Smoking is a definite killer. It WILL eventually either kill you or be a contributing factor to your death (actually, it always is, since it takes 11 minutes off your life every time you light one up), while, if you drink the right amount of beer, it can actually help you live longer and be un-detrimental. Unfortunately, we aren't debating which substance is better. We're debating which substance is worse. And from death's alone, that substance is smoking

I await my opponent's response!

1 - http://www.health.com...
2 - http://www.merriam-webster.com...
3 - http://wiki.answers.com...
4 - http://www.marininstitute.org...
abard124

Con

"Actually, it does. Every time you smoke a cigarette, you lose 11 minutes off of your life, guaranteed."
While that is a scientifically supported claim that I will absolutely not deny, I will say that there are a lot of variables to consider when talking about one's lifespan. We're not like milk; we don't have an expiration date. For example, a smoker who does not drink and eats a balanced diet might well live longer than his twin brother, a nonsmoker but a heavy drinker who eats a lot of junk food. And how long is 11 minutes? 75 years is 27,375 days (not counting leap years), which is 657,000 hours, which is 39,420,000 minutes. That is 3,583,636.(36) sets of 11 minutes. So each cigarette takes off just over two 7 millionths of an average life, assuming all other variables remain constant (which is effectively impossible).

"I didn't say it didn't have an effect on one's health, I just said it didn't have a negative effect on one's health."
I fail to see a difference here. Please elaborate.

"Really? Alcohol HELPS PREVENT heart attack? Amazing!"
But heavy drinking causes heart disease. So we'll call it a tie.

"When smoking is used in moderation, it kills you."
Just one drink can impair some people's judgement enough to cause problems as well.

"We are debating whether or not smoking has a worse effect on Americans health. And as far as heart disease goes, it does."
We are debating whether or not smoking has a worse affect on the health of Americans. Not the heart disease of Americans. I agree that heart disease is unhealthy; it killed a lot of my family, but there are other factors that need to be considered.

"Again, the argument is on whether or cigarettes are more detrimental to Americans health than alcohol, not if they are the only detrimental things to Americans health."
But you displayed your statistic as if it was the only thing that impacted the health of Americans. And if they both cause the same disease, doesn't your argument kind of negate itself? It would have been an excellent argument for the debate, "Cigarettes are bad for your health," but not this debate, like you said.

"Next, my opponent states that I make another error when I say that all of these deaths were caused by smoking. I might have mis-worded my statement. It can be said that those deaths could POSSIBLY be impacted by smoking."
"Deaths impacted by smoking - 1,509,552
Yes, you did misword it. And you also didn't include in the drinking deaths all of the deaths that I mentioned were possibly impacted by drinking, which pretty much evens the numbers out.

"According to (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com......), 440,000 annual deaths each year are smoking-associated, compared to 100,000 deaths each year caused by drinking a alcoholic beverage."
I strongly suggest that you look at the correction posted in the wiki answer which you attributed the drinking deaths to.

"Again, with drinking, their are other things to be considered if you are talking about danger. If you're talking about smoking, there is always a danger."
Yes, but would you rather be in an automobile accident due to the driver being under the influence, or would you rather inhale a little bit of smoke?

"Well, there's the one-third of cases that were NOT alcohol related"
Algebra 101: If 1/3 of cases are not alcohol related then 2/3 of cases are alcohol related. So if alcohol disappeared, so would 2/3 of child beating cases. And exactly what percentage of child beatings are tobacco related? Pretty close to zero, I'm sure.

"If you drink the right amount of beer, it can actually help you live longer and be un-detrimental."
It only takes a few beers to cause cirrhosis. And tobacco releases CO, which is a poisonous gas, but it also has a calming effect. So I'm sure that smoking has prevented a few suicides. That may seem a little far fetched, but so does your argument about beer making you live longer.

I am excited to see what you have to say!
Railsguardian

Pro

I thank my opponent for the final time for his invigorating response!

I think my opponent may have miss-understood the point I was trying to make saying that a cigarette takes 11 minutes off of your life every time you light one up - it was not for how MUCH life it takes off of you, but for the reason it DOES take life off of you. Are you guaranteed, and I mean GUARENTEED, no doubt, absolutely one-hundred percent certain that you will lose 11 minutes off your life every time you drink a beer or alcoholic beverage? I have yet to see facts that say, no, that guarantee that fact. It is a definite fact that you WILL lose 11 minutes off of your life every time you smoke a cigarette. My opponent downplays this by pointing out how small 11 minutes is, but remember: you lose 11 minutes for every single cigarette you smoke, and people don't smoke just one. There are 20 cigarettes per pack. Let's say a person buys a pack and smokes it all in one day (which is a common occurrence; why do you think smokers lose so much money on their habit?). Now we aren't talking about 11 minutes anymore. 11 minutes per each cigarette times 20 equals 220 minutes, or 3 5/6 hours, and that's just per-day. Now multiply that by 365 and you get what being addicted to cigarettes is all about: 80,300 minutes lost PER YEAR from being addicted to smoking. Where are the facts that drinking can do THAT to you?

When I said that it has an effect on one's health, I concur with my opponent on the fact that it DEOS affect you ... just not like a cigarette does.

Yes, heavy drinking DOES cause heart disease, but smoking can do the same ... and a lot more.

My opponent states "Just one drink ...well." Well, a cigarette, one cigarette, starts the deadly chain reaction described in my first paragraph.

The only reason I say smoking has anything at all to do with heart disease is because the cases of heart disease it causes are a good part of the 440,000 deaths attributed to smoking each year.

Now, in my statistic, I did NOT act as if it was the ONLY thing that impacted Americans. This is a greater of two evils situation: yes, they are both bad. Yes, they both kill people. Yes, they are both horrible addictions. But when you look at statistics alone, it proves that smoking is WORSE. I have not yet seen anything from my opponent to contradict those facts or my position.

Next, my opponent states that "Yes, you did misword ... evens the numbers out."

Deaths from smoking according to (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com.........):

440,000

Deaths from drinking: 100,000

Evens it out? Not by a long shot.

After that, my opponent states "Yes, but would you ... little bit of smoke." Does someone die every time someone else has a drink? HEAVENS no. Does someone die a little every time they have a smoke. DEFINETLY YES.

My opponent asked me to come up with a domestic violence case that "Wasn't alcohol fueled". Well, I did: 1/3 of ALL cases are NOT alcohol fueled. Case and point.

Finally, my opponent states "It only takes a few beers to cause cirrhosis."

It only takes one cigarette to offer a death sentence to the right person, too, but we're not arguing that they are un-detrimental; they ARE BOTH BAD. But we are arguing whether or not smoking is worse, and just by looking at the death totals:

Smoking: 440,000 (source in round 3 argument)

Drinking: 100,000 (source in round 3 argument)

You can see that smoking is more detrimental, overall, to the American people than alcohol.

Where are the statistics or facts that say otherwise?

I'll tell you: there are none.

Yes, both are horrible, but just from these totals, smoking is much, much worse.

Thank you and vote pro!
abard124

Con

My opponent has posted an excellent argument in each round, and he should be commended and thanked for that.

I apologize in advance if I come off sounding angry or sharp; I have just come off of a climate change debate which I am extremely passionate about, so I'm still a little bit wired from that.

"it was not for how MUCH life it takes off of you, but for the reason it DOES take life off of you."
I looked at a life expectancy calculator [1], and with all of the default settings, medium diet, and medium exercise for a 180 lb, 40 year old man, he is expected to live 84 years. If he becomes a smoker (1 pack a day), but nothing else changes, his life expectancy becomes 80 years. If he is not a smoker, but is a heavy drinker, his life expectancy becomes 77 years. Alcohol kills too.

"Are you guaranteed, and I mean GUARENTEED..."
That was a funny way of stating it, them being spelled differently.
"...no doubt, absolutely one-hundred percent certain that you will lose 11 minutes off your life every time you drink a beer or alcoholic beverage?"
That is a moot point. Ultimately, what matters is the end result. The sample man who I used for the life expectancy calculator passed away younger as a heavy drinker than he did as a smoker. Not to mention, that was keeping his body weight. Every gram of alcohol is worth 7 calories. So a heavy drinker also runs an elevated risk of becoming obese, which is, of course, one of, if not THE biggest health crisis in the developed world, and particularly America.

"Well, a cigarette, one cigarette, starts the deadly chain reaction described in my first paragraph."
As I've mentioned many times, Alcohol not only kills in the same way that cigarettes kill, but it also kills indirectly. During the week, about 30% of fatal traffic accidents are alcohol related. This number increases to 53% during the weekends [2]. In most states, it is illegal to drive with a blood alcohol content above .08%. For a smaller person, that can be just one or two drinks. That is also a deadly chain reaction.

"The only reason I say smoking has anything at all to do with heart disease is because the cases of heart disease it causes are a good part of the 440,000 deaths attributed to smoking each year"
That is true. So is obesity, cholesterol level, blood pressure, stress, diet, activity level, family history, our good friend alcohol, and a plethora of other factors.

"But when you look at statistics alone, it proves that smoking is WORSE. I have not yet seen anything from my opponent to contradict those facts or my position."
You have not provided any viable statistics, sourced from an impartial body and using scientifically sourced facts. So I have nothing to "contradict."

"Deaths from smoking according to (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com............):

440,000

Deaths from drinking: 100,000"
Thank you for ignoring my previous statement regarding wiki answers. I will repost my argument for your convenience.
"I strongly suggest that you look at the correction posted in the wiki answer which you attributed the drinking deaths to." I still suggest it.

"Does someone die every time someone else has a drink? HEAVENS no. Does someone die a little every time they have a smoke. DEFINETLY YES."
See every single argument which I have made.

"Well, I did: 1/3 of ALL cases are NOT alcohol fueled. Case and point."
While you have satisfied my slightly tongue-in-cheek request, you have failed to explain what that means, other than the satisfaction of my hyperbole. The fact is, 2/3 of domestic violence is alcohol fueled. A negligible amount, if any, are caused by tobacco.

Alcohol is bad for one's physical health both directly and indirectly, and we know that. We also know that it is bad for the mental health of users, causing them to do stupid things and impairing their judgment. When they do stupid things, they can really embarrass themselves when they are sober, hurting their social health. The "overall well-being" stated in the resolution includes all of those things. As we agree, tobacco and alcohol both are unhealthy. However, alcohol is unhealthy in a very wide scope, directly and indirectly, and in most aspects of life, as well as shortening the lifespan. Tobacco, though it does shorten the lifespan, it does just that. It does not cause thousands of car accidents per year. It does not impair one's judgment to any extent that alcohol does. It is unhealthy, but it does not cause nearly the destruction that alcohol does. I would like to thank my opponent for his excellent arguments and cordial demeanor. However, it is also true that alcohol is more detrimental to the overall wellbeing of Americans than cigarettes, so the resolution has been negated. Therefore, there is no choice but to vote CON. Thank you.

1. http://moneycentral.msn.com...
2. http://www.sixwise.com...
Posted by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
Good job... You argued well!!!
Posted by LLAMA 7 years ago
LLAMA
I completely agree with the pros argument, the death totals were incredibly convincing! I only read about half. I have to say though, the con does have a point that alcohol could result in a quicker death... possibly. Cigarettes however guarantee you to lose up to 20 minutes of your life. It's guaranteed. Alcohol is a gamble that could result neutrally or negatively.
Posted by Railsguardian 7 years ago
Railsguardian
Yes, I second that. PLEASE do vote.
Posted by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
Come on, people... Vote!!!

It's a short voting period and I would feel really bad if the only vote was mine...
Posted by infam0us 7 years ago
infam0us

this is completely untrue. that's like saying if you do cocaine once, you're an addict for life. addictions develop over long periods of time.
Posted by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
I sort of paraphrased something like that...
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
I haven't actually read any of the debate, but i would have just argued that you can pretty much smoke 30-40 years and be totally fine, whereas you can get drunk once and do something stupid which could kill you or someone else.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
No. I mostly agree with you, and find it to hard to refute to play the devils advocate.
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
You should really post an opening argument. You are both the instigator and the affirmative.
Posted by Railsguardian 7 years ago
Railsguardian
Are you going to take it?
Vote Placed by LLAMA 7 years ago
LLAMA
Railsguardianabard124Tied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 7 years ago
wonderwoman
Railsguardianabard124Tied
Vote Placed by frank37 7 years ago
frank37
Railsguardianabard124Tied
Vote Placed by Railsguardian 7 years ago
Railsguardian
Railsguardianabard124Tied
Vote Placed by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
Railsguardianabard124Tied
Vote Placed by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
Railsguardianabard124Tied