Adam_Godzilla
Cin

Cin is good looking

Adam_Godzilla

Adam_Godzilla

Pro

Lol you asked for it.

Resolution: The user named Cin has qualities of beauty. She is therefore beautiful.

Definition of beautiful:
possessing beauty; aesthetically pleasing
- http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Story:
Cin and I agree on a few things but one; her good looks. She thinks she can win this debate but I'm still going to do my best.

Round 1 is for acceptance from Cin.

*This debate was made out of consensual agreement.*
Cin

Con

I thank my opponent for allowing me to debate this with him. I look foward to seeing how this goes I guess haha.
Adam_Godzilla

Pro

I will begin.

First off I will say that Cin or Cindy has 'qualities of beauty'. I am not saying that by mass consensus agreement by the human society, she is undeniably hot. Such people like Emilia Clarke from Game of Thrones can be considered by the majority as 'hot' or beautiful according to sites like Maxim. But I will argue in this debate that she specifically has qualities of beauty. And if I can point out a sufficient amount of those qualities, then I will hopefully win this debate.

Before that though, here is the premise in a nutshell;
P1: That which has a quality of beauty can be considered beautiful.
P2: Cin has at least one quality of beauty.
C1: Cin is beautiful.

So now I will defend P1 first of all.

This first premise is a result of the definitions I have provided above. My opponent by accepting this debate, agrees with the definitions in round 1. Again the definition of beautiful is that which possesses beauty. I will not argue that she is aesthetically pleasing because that is too obviously subjective and depends on the observer. Not everyone will think she is attractive, true. But not everyone will believe she is not attractive. Therefore attractiveness depends on human perception.

So then now we have to look at what 'beauty' is. And I will use the same dictionary website for integrity.

Beauty - the quality present in a person or thing that gives intense aesthetic pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind or the senses.
- http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

And so therefore anything or person with such qualities of beauty can be considered beautiful because beautiful inherently possesses beauty.

Defending P2. - Cin has at least one quality of beauty
Okay now we come to the main argument here. I will provide some evidence of qualities of beauty that Cin currently has.
First is her personality. Yes, this is a her quality as a person and this quality contains beauty or is pleasurable to the human mind. Her personality is very light and humorous. This can be seen when most of her comments almost usually ends with 'haha'. You can see this in her post in round one. She also comments on another user - who is also my friend - saying, 'oh. no. you. did. not. *snaps fingers in z-form*'. I will not source this so that the user can remain anonymous. But this comment shows how funny she can be.

She also mentions that she is a social person on her profile, " I am a very social person." This implies she is an easy person to talk to. She currently has 155 friends on DDO to prove this.

She also has many other personality qualities that are very unique and pleasing once you get to know her. But her one quality, her personality, is very pleasing to humans and that makes her likeable. Therefore it makes the quality one of beauty.

Therefore;
C1: Cin is beautiful.

These are all of my arguments for now. The later rounds will be much shorter in length. I'm looking forward to Cin's reply.

Oh before that let me share a famous poem about the nature of beauty. It talks about how there is beauty even in 'dappled', 'misconfigured' things.

Glory be to God for dappled things "
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches" wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced " fold, fallow, and plough;
And "ll tr"des, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.
Cin

Con

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder , then ugliness is also in the eye of the beholder.

The definition of beauty, according to http://dictionary.reference.com..., is "a very attractive and well-formed girl or woman."

Taking this into mind, beauty is the physical appearance of a person. And referring back to previous times, I have never been an attractive person. I usually get "oh, she has a great personality, but I wouldn't date her." Not to mention constantly being at the bottom of the "hot list" that the popular guys make. I, myself, am not saying that I am unpopular, for I would find myself to be a very popular person.
The complaints of physical appearance, or the "ideal" features of a girl to be attractive this day and age would be of model appearance, like Selena Gomez. I am either too short (I'm 5 flat), not skinny enough (I am 111 lbs), I don't wear "revealing" clothes, and on... But I'm not going to wear tight jeans or shirts in order to impress the stupid h0rny guys. Because I am comfortable with how I look, dress and act.

I do get that I have an amazing personality. I also get that I'm really nerdy. Which is true, because I am top of my class right now. But even saying that, doesn't necessarily mean that having a great personality is found to be attractive.

In order to date someone, there has to be a physical attraction between them. Finding someone with a great personality is just a small part of the term "beauty".
Adam_Godzilla

Pro

Cin attempts to apply another definition of 'Beauty.' She adds a valid definition from a valid website. However my definition is also valid and the website she provided includes this definition as well.

Beauty: "the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind" - http://dictionary.reference.com...

This definition is similar to the one I provided. Beauty is described as the quality that gives pleasure or satisfaction to the human mind. And this definition is more specific than the definition she gives. Beauty is not just "a very attractive and well-formed girl or woman". That is a very narrow definition that cannot be applied to men, animals, objects and ideas. The definition provided in my own and even Cin's source is more commonly applicable, therefore it is the definition we should stick to.

Here is the premise and conclusion again:

C1: Cin is beautiful.

Cin has chosen to attack P2.

These are my rebuttals:

"Taking this into mind, beauty is the physical appearance of a person."
Not neccessarily. There can be beauty in the abilities of a person, the charisma of a person, or in other inherent qualities/attributes of a person. Again, your definition is narrow.

"And referring back to previous times, I have never been an attractive person. I usually get "oh, she has a great personality, but I wouldn't date her."

Again, not everyone will think you're attractive but then again, not everyone will think you're not. Physical attractiveness depends on the human observer. It is subjective. Your belief is based on the opinions of a few people and is not empirically true.

"Not to mention constantly being at the bottom of the "hot list" that the popular guys make. "

The opinions of a small group of people can hardly prove a fact compared to the opinions of the entire human population. Why choose to buy into the beliefs of a small collective at your school and not buy into your own positive beliefs? Their opinions have absolutely NOTHING to do with you. It's like if you were suddenly transferred to a school where all the 'popular' guys started telling you,"I absolutely hate the colour of your hair. I wish it was rainbow coloured," you wouldn't buy into their opinion, you would just look at them like you couldn't care less. This belief you have adopted from the beliefs of your peers holds no real empirical truth. Again, physical attractiveness depends on the observer, it is subjective.

"The complaints of physical appearance, or the "ideal" features of a girl to be attractive this day and age would be of model appearance, like Selena Gomez."
This perception is false. Selena Gomez is not attractive to everyone and there are no objective "ideal" features of a girl.

"I am either too short (I'm 5 flat), not skinny enough (I am 111 lbs), I don't wear "revealing" clothes, and on... But I'm not going to wear tight jeans or shirts in order to impress the stupid h0rny guys. Because I am comfortable with how I look, dress and act."

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the point Cin is making here is that girls who are below 5 foot, heavier than 100 lbs, and don't wear revealing clothing are unattractive? Again there seems to be another narrow definition that Con is buying into.

"I do get that I have an amazing personality. I also get that I'm really nerdy. Which is true, because I am top of my class right now. But even saying that, doesn't necessarily mean that having a great personality is found to be attractive.

In order to date someone, there has to be a physical attraction between them. Finding someone with a great personality is just a small part of the term "beauty"."

THis is another extremely narrow definition that Cin has adopted. She pre-assumes the reasons people date and form relationships. She pre-assumes the need for there to be physical attraction in order for somone to date. If people truly needed this requirement in order to date, the human population would tumble. My parents have admitted that they are both not very physically attractive but still love each other because of each other's great and unique personalities and traits.

Great personality pleases the human mind and this is a quality of Beauty. Cin's definition of what is 'beautiful' to the human mind is too narrow. She asserts that great personality is just a small part of the quality of beauty. Yhis does not make any sense. It does not apply to other things like movies, art, and music. With a definition like the one Con asserts, I cannot say that my favourite music is beautiful because its soothing melody is just a small part of the term "beautiful". And I can't describe a painting as beautiful because one of the special qualities it has, it's tone of colour, is insufficient in describing it's beauty.

As you can see, her definition makes no sense. It is because of the special quality that an object or person has, that I am able to describe the person or object as "beautiful."

In conclusion, Cin's definitions are too narrow. She asserts and pre-assumes things that are not empirically true. My premise and conclusion still stand strong. Cin is indeed beautiful ;)

Cin

Con

Rebuttals:
1. "There can be beauty in the abilities of a person, the charisma of a person, or in other inherent qualities/attributes of a person"
--Yes, you are correct, but without the physical portion, it means nothing. Thousands and thousands of women even state that they just can't date a certain guy anymore, no matter how amazing his personality is! They have to have a physical attraction to them. The same for guys. I'm not saying this applies to everyone, because it doesn't, but a big population of people do apply.

2. "there are no objective "ideal" features of a girl."
Society today has objected to the fact "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Which, in fact, it should be. But there are so many stereotypes that make people look at themselves in a different light. I have heard numerous stories of girls going bulimic to fit the girl on the front page of a magazine. For some odd reason, the "thigh-gap" and "collar bones showing" are what's in today. In my opinion, I don't think that's attractive. But society does. The standards of what beauty is depends on society. People depend on other people to tell them what's in and what's not. That's just the way today is.

3. "girls who are below 5 foot, heavier than 100 lbs, and don't wear revealing clothing are unattractive?"
That is not what I'm saying. Look at runway models for example; They are 5'10"-6'2" and weight like less than 110 pounds. I could never be a runway model because I'm overweight and too short. The designers make a one size outfit that is supposed to be a perfect fit to their models. Society has chosen that.
Adam_Godzilla

Pro

A letter to the readers.

Dear all,

Cin concedes my main arguments. I assume she accepts my premises. She has lost this debate. (p.s. sorry)

"--Yes, you are correct, but without the physical portion, it means nothing. Thousands and thousands of women even state that they just can't date a certain guy anymore, no matter how amazing his personality is! They have to have a physical attraction to them. The same for guys. I'm not saying this applies to everyone, because it doesn't, but a big population of people do apply."

"People depend on other people to tell them what's in and what's not. That's just the way today is."

"The designers make a one size outfit that is supposed to be a perfect fit to their models. Society has chosen that."

I have said that I will not argue that you are physically attractive. I have never met you in person so I have no idea how physically atractvive you are.

My resolution was that you are beautiful. I went to show that your great personality is what makes you beautiful. You don't have to buy into the beliefs of the larger population. The majority may have this fixed idea on what is attractive and what is not but you don't have to play that game. It's not like they're forcing you to play. Society expects you to give it something, whether it be money or entertainment. But society never expects you to be pretty and you don't have to expect it to know that you are pretty.

Your definition of what is beautiful is shallow, narrow, and has no weight. Physical attraction does not equal 'Beautiful.' Physical attraction is actually mostly sexual and I do not have to be sexually attracted to something to think it is beautiful.

To paraphrase an old friend of mine, "Just because you're hot, doesn't mean I want to bang you"

What he means is that just because he thinks someone is 'hot' or beautiful, it doesn't mean he is sexually or physically attracted to that person.

In Xmen First class, mystique has a conversation with Beast about pride as a mutant. She says that mutants don't have to hide. Beast, angered since Mysitque doesn't want to be normal like him, tells Mystique that society would never find her beautiful. Mystique meets with Magneto and he compliments her, saying that you do not cover up a tiger, you show it's true form. Even proffessor X compliments her, calling her beautiful, magnificent or wonderful. Mystique becomes confident with her looks and does not hide her true form anymore. She knows she's beautiful as who she is and that was the end of the story.

There is nothing wrong with being who you are and you don't have to care what society thinks.

The resolution was "Cin is beautiful." Not "Cin is physically attractive" which is what my opponent argues against and again beautiful deos not = to 'physically attractive' This is a tight, one sided, narrow definition that I suggest you, Cin, to stop buying into. Whoever you picked up the belief that your not beautiful from, I strongly advise you to let it go and give up this debate.

You will never, NEVER be factually, empircally, unfalsifiably, ugly. That belief will NEVER be a fact ever. YOU are the one who decides if you are beautiful, you really can. Being at the bottom of 'lists', guys saying they won't date you? Who gives a sh*t. You decide which guys you're gonna date anyway. You don't have to spend time worrying what society thinks of you. Just live confidently and people will start to see you the way you see yourself. They will be influenced by you and that will attract them to you.

Of course you have to actually choose to buy into what I'm saying here. But which do you prefer to believe in, the 'high school guys' at your school who have nothing to do with you, or, your own positive beliefs that you have every right to own?

This is my last round so thanks to all who've been reading. If you have been skimming, please go back to the top. Thanks for the comments up to this point too, those were very sweet. I don't think Cin and I will be couples or anything but the fan support was lovely. However I sincerely (whether she believes it herself or not), think that Cin as an indvidual self, as her true self, is beautiful. I will say this again, this time to you Cin. You are essentially, inherently, underniably, beautiful.

Thank you for the debate.

Sincerely,

Adam Godzilla

Cin

Con

Cin forfeited this round.
Posted by Adam_Godzilla 3 years ago
Adam_Godzilla
Woah... So many fans! :D
Posted by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
THIS IS SO CUTE!!! XD

SHIP CIAM / CIDAM / ADIN!!!!

nac
Posted by Kc1999 3 years ago
Kc1999
Adam_Godzilla and Cin forever! LOL love at first debate.
Posted by Adam_Godzilla 3 years ago
Adam_Godzilla
Jeez... Thanks for the support guys! I guess lol.
Posted by Kc1999 3 years ago
Kc1999
@JMK is not wrong. YYW and bsh might have tuff competition! I'll always support you two tho...
Posted by JohnMaynardKeynes 3 years ago
JohnMaynardKeynes
Well this is a peculiar way to flirt, Adam_Godzilla...

But it does appear that the two of you could rival YYW and bsh. Think about it!

I kid, I kid. But this is interesting nevertheless.
Posted by Adam_Godzilla 3 years ago
Adam_Godzilla
I realise the title of the debate should have just been 'Cin is beautiful' instead of 'Cin is good looking'
Posted by Cin 3 years ago
Cin
but then so do i...
Posted by muricamurray 3 years ago
muricamurray
I do believe that Adam_Godzilla Has a point...
Posted by master_of_debates 3 years ago
master_of_debates
This is truly amazing!
Vote Placed by doomswatter 2 years ago
doomswatter
Adam_GodzillaCinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro supported his resolution well.
Vote Placed by WilliamsP 2 years ago
WilliamsP
Adam_GodzillaCinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct is tied, as well as spelling and grammar. Pro provided more solid, complex arguments than Con. Both sides used sources.