outletforideas
DebaterGood

Citizenship is an outdated concept

outletforideas

Pro

Part of being a citizen (vs. noncitizen) of the USA is the main expectation that the government "has your back". Citizens are supposed to have benefits over and above non-citizens and rescue from political turmoil and natural disaster are often expected. The services offered however, fail short of that expectation

"We use the resources that are most expedient and appropriate to the situation. Expectations of rescue by helicopters, the U.S. military, and U.S. government-provided transportation with armed escorts reflect a Hollywood script more than reality. While some evacuations involve U.S. military or other U.S. government assets, most rely on commercial transportation and local infrastructure. Any level of departure assistance constitutes an enormous logistical effort.
Will the U.S. government come and pick me up if I need assistance getting to the airport or other evacuation point?
Crises place an enormous strain on our resources as embassy personnel focus on assisting U.S. citizens affected by the crisis. Security conditions can also limit our ability to move freely around the country. It is almost impossible for the U.S. government to provide in-country transportation service to individuals or specific groups during a foreign crisis. You should therefore pay close heed to our travel and safety information for the country they are traveling to or residing in, monitor local conditions, and have a plan of action in case of emergency.
https://travel.state.gov...
"

Con will argue that Citizenship is a special status whose benefits of that status outweigh the status of a non-citizen.
DebaterGood

Con

First of all, good luck to my opponent.

Secondly, It is great that my opponent has acknowledged what I will be arguing in this round. Citizenship IS a special status whose benefits of that status outweigh the status of a non-citizen. For example, the State Department and U.S passports state that in cases of emergencies, one could call for help, and the State Dept. would try its best to help.

Thirdly, my opponent has said no reason as to how the Status of Citizenship is outdated. Based on the arguments made by my opponent, the same argument could be made for ANY type of identification. My opponent has provided a source that states what the State Dept. Can/Can't do during a crisis. This helps my case, as it explains that having citizenship can DO SOMETHING to help, rather than have nothing done whatsoever.

Also, my opponent said that, "You should therefore pay close heed to our travel and safety information for the country they are traveling to or residing in, monitor local conditions, and have a plan of action in case of emergency." This isn't an argument against my case, but rather common sense. The State Dept. already says to do so, in order to warn CITIZENS to plan, however, if something unfortunate was to occur, then they could be saved/rescued since they are Citizens of whatever country.

My opponent has provided no reason as to solidifying their argument, and the Burden of Proof lies on them. As the contender, I will rest my case simply by saying that the Status of Citizenship is NOT outdated.
outletforideas

Pro

outletforideas forfeited this round.
DebaterGood

Con

outletforideas

Pro

outletforideas forfeited this round.
DebaterGood

Con

Posted by Oromagi 1 year ago
Oromagi
I'm confused. Your position suggests that the State Dept does not offer aid or rescue to citizens abroad but it clearly does. Upon clicking the link provided by you, the State Dept advises: "Earthquakes, hurricanes, and tsunamis are only some of the natural disasters threatening the safety of U.S. citizens abroad. When natural disasters occur abroad, the Department of State and U.S. embassies and consulates in the affected country stand ready around the clock to locate and assist U.S. citizens in need. ". The US has a fairly substantial history of backing up this statement, so how do you support your assertion?