Evak
Lyssie

Civic Responsibility or Moral Obligation

Evak

Pro

I really just need help from all of you debaters.

Do we as a society have a civic responsibility to our community? I need both sides of the argument.

and do we as a society have a moral obligation to help our community? Again, I need both sides.

I am having trouble finding people who are against either topic.
Lyssie

Con

The fact that people have a civic duty to aid and support their community largely depends on the community. I believe that in some cases, people should; however, to make a blanket statement that they should is incorrect. Consider the case of feudal Russia. The peasants, or serfs, were poorly treated; were often freezing, starving, and dying from lack of adequate medical attention; and yet they were expected to work tremendous amounts to support their lord and his family. These serfs were compelled to do this for little or no compensation. Not all people in all civilizations should be obligated to aid our communities.

1. Tidbits of knowledge
2. Making inferences
3. Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell
Evak

Pro

Evak forfeited this round.
Lyssie

Con

Lyssie forfeited this round.
Evak

Pro

Evak forfeited this round.
Lyssie

Con

Lyssie forfeited this round.
Evak

Pro

Evak forfeited this round.
Lyssie

Con

Lyssie forfeited this round.
Evak

Pro

Evak forfeited this round.
Lyssie

Con

Lyssie forfeited this round.
Posted by mantonangus 1 year ago
mantonangus
I have read this full debate article and I wondered about your writing here. Well you written and the topic you have chosen for this debate is good.
http://buyessays.us...
Posted by en1gma 1 year ago
en1gma
A thought provoking question indeed. Here is what I think. Both terms are closely intertwined; however it all boils down to attitude and ethics. These are elements that shape our personalities, and we can't generalize by saying "as a society" since every society has their own rules of conduct.
These values are acquired after birth and not instilled in babies. Selfishness is ingrained in human nature.
Posted by The-Masked-Debater 1 year ago
The-Masked-Debater
The debate could be presented that we have either a civic responsibility, a moral obligation, or both, depending on your definition of morality and obligation. Also, The term civic responsibility implies that there is a community, in the literal term. so if your debate was as to the necessity of civic responsibility in relation to the "value" of the community, then there would be more clearly defined parameters.
Posted by Sam7411 1 year ago
Sam7411
The trick is to decide what is the difference between the two terms...