Jay-Pee
Angie1

Civility and Reciprocal Respect

Angie1

Jay-Pee

Pro

I wrote and published this quote a couple of weeks ago "We have not the least right to require others to treat us any better than we treat them." and just wonder whether you guys think like me or not.
Angie1

Con

If I understand the debate correctly my answer is as follows:

We have the right to require whatever we wish from anyone we wish and here's an example:

I'd require for instance someone who professes to behave in a certain way to live up to the expectation they presented me with regardless of how I treat them. Like let's say a Christian who professes to be forgiving and loving for example: just because I may not love them or forgive them, I'd still expect them to do so based on their own testimony and that of the bible. Also we need to consider people's backgrounds, hearts and all the rest. If I treat someone lovingly and they aren't perhaps able to love me back how can I expect them to treat me with love. They may not know how, there may be background influence. I get that is not the context of what you mean though.

So what you saying is; if we treat people badly can we really expect them to treat us differently?

My answer is yes we can. If I was 3 years old and treated an adult badly, I can expect them to treat me kindly. Same of any person professing to be better or greater or more authoritative than I for example like a Christian etc. an authority figure etc.
Jay-Pee

Pro

Inspired from and by my opponent's argument and the comments I have read so far, my question for Round 2 is:

Is kindness something that can be taught to children and adolescents by their parents, educators and catechists? Or is it something that can be learned only by practice?

Angie1

Con

That looks like a copy and paste from somewhere.

What does teaching children and adolescents or it being learned by practice, have anything to do with our requirements of others?

You've also not commented on anything I have written which is fine but it's makes this a difficult argument to keep from committing red herring.

One can take a horse to the water but you can't force it to drink is my answer.

We can teach our kids kindness but kindness is something that also comes naturally from within. We can practice kindness in acts also but it's not to say it will make us kind in the end. Anything can be taught and practiced when we young but we have personalities that develop, and other influences that influence how we act and react. One can be soft-heart'd and be kinder than another even if their parents taught them nothing of the sort or very little.

"We have not the least right to require others to treat us any better than we treat them."

This is basically a statement demanding we treat people how we want to be treated, or we have no right to require others to treat us better than how we treat. In my previous examples I tried to explain my position.

We can require people to treat us better even if we treated them badly with disrespect for example, by their own words and authority they place over us.

If you in school and you rude to your teacher; would it be okay if your teacher was rude back? or is it required that the teacher have composure regardless of what you do? Can you expect this?
Jay-Pee

Pro

Jay-Pee forfeited this round.
Angie1

Con

Since the round has been forfeited, my previous arguments stand.
Posted by Angie1 2 years ago
Angie1
Thanks :)
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
You have 3 days in this debate.
Posted by Angie1 2 years ago
Angie1
how does this work btw. only joined yesterday. i am leaving just now to go home, do i have to reply by a certain time or do i loose if i don't
Posted by Jay-Pee 2 years ago
Jay-Pee
oops...sorry

I meant "borrow" '-)
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
The ancient Sumerians, cultures long forgotten before the Sumerians and various other religions.
Posted by Jay-Pee 2 years ago
Jay-Pee
Just want to thank both of you for your comments and replies and add a silly question, i.e. "Who did the Bible borrowed the quotes from?"

While you think about this, I'm preparing my argument for Round 2.

Take care and have a great Friday!

The Instigator.
Posted by Angie1 2 years ago
Angie1
*smiles*
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Ok, sorry. I meant borrowed.
Posted by Angie1 2 years ago
Angie1
I'd hardly call it stealing Wylted ;-) One could say most quotes stem from some religious book.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
The quote is stolen from the bible and reworked.
Vote Placed by NiqashMotawadi3 2 years ago
NiqashMotawadi3
Jay-PeeAngie1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con went for the argument from Christian pacifism that was left unchallenged, while Pro didn't provide a rebuttal but asked a question and then forfeited a round, losing by that the conduct point.