Juan_Pablo
bubbatheclown

Civilization should endorse homosexual monogamy for reasons of public health and accountability.

Juan_Pablo

Pro

Civilization has a responsibility to advocate positions that promote both individual satisfaction and community health. Heterosexual monogamy is a recent invention, but its benefits compared to what came before it are hard to discount. A structured family where both the mother and the father are equal heads of household only came about thanks to heterosexual marriage and monogamy. The concepts of women's rights and increased sexual responsibility among both partners developed as heterosexual marriage and monogamy evolved in the subscribing culture.

Today we frown at behavior that carries increased health risks that also fails to exhibit a modicum of personal accountability. For example, unsafe promiscuous sex is viewed as both morally reprehensible and as a public health hazard. Safe promiscuous sex is generally considered better, but still carries risks and has moral loose-ends attached to it. Safe monogamous sex is regarded as far more safer and virtuous than the other two, and it's lauded most within the confines of marriage, for reasons of health, law, ethics, and social responsibility.

Two people contracted to each other in marriage is the best way that society can distinguish who loves who and who shares legal liability on a number of matters in the union. It is the ultimate demonstration of ethical, legal responsibility in the realms of love, sex, and property - and therefore society has a responsibility to encourage it!

Heterosexual monogamy and marriage are recent inventions but it would be foolish and destructive to our society to eradicate this lifestyle and institution.

For this very reason society must endorse homosexual monogamy for its public health! Homosexual marriage is something gay and bisexual people should be encouraged to shoot for, to promote individual responsibility in the realms of love, sex, property, and health, and to further underscore the ethical truth that society functions best and most happily when people are allowed to be themselves within the confines of social etiquette, rules and laws.

People of a legal age should be permitted and encouraged to form monogamous unions as long as they intend to have sex and fall in love.

My opponent should begin his arguments against my resolution in ROUND 1.
bubbatheclown

Con

So basically you're saying that gay people should get married to prevent them from sleeping with every same gender person they meet. However, there's a problem with this. What if they still do so while married? I mean, if they're forced to get married against their will, I don't see why that would change their lifestyles. Granted, if it worked it'd be a lesser of two evils. If it's a social movement to encourage marriage, and they want to live that certain messed up lifestyle, they probably wouldn't get married, or they'd get married while agreeing that cheating on one another was okay.
You see, the whole deal is part of an addiction. Read a book called "Truth Decay" by Steve Hale. It cites a source for just about everything that it says. According to the book:

"43% of white male homosexuals estimate having had sex with 500 or more partners, while 28% estimate having had 1,000 sexual partners. Incredibly, 79% of those surveyed admitted that at least half of their partners were strangers. A study in the early 1980s revealed that only about two percent of homosexuals are 'monogamous' or 'semi-monogamous,' which means that they've had 10 or fewer partners in their lifetime. If these figures sound a bit exaggerated, then listen to a study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). They found that 1,100 sexual partners is about average for gay men. Some reported as many as 22,000 partners in their lifetime! This is not normal."

I quoted the book mentioned above, Truth Decay (by Steve Hale). If these figures are true, then what you suggest is nearly impossible.
I hope this will be an interesting debate.
Juan_Pablo

Pro

First I want to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I look forward to it being a lively but informative one. I also want to thank him for his patience, due to unscheduled interruptions in my private life. Thank you.

Now let's begin.

In 2004, after observing declining HIV and STD infection rates in Africa, prominent HIV experts from around the world announced that promiscuity practically by itself was fueling the spread of HIV. Several prominent HIV experts authored an article in the British Medical Journal underscoring just how deadly promiscuity was on the continent; experts included officials from the Global Fund for AIDS, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the US Agency for International Development [1]. It was touted as advice to all nations globally on how to resist the scourge.

Experts noted that after a decade of fighting the disease in Uganda, HIV infections had plummetted from 15% to 5%. In the decade that preceded the 2004 announcement, the government had carried out a robust campaign encouraging people to reduce the number of sexual partners and to become faithful [1]. Similar results were seen in nations that carried out identical countrywide campaigns over the course of several years, including Thailand, Cambodia, Ethiopia, and the Dominican Republic [1].

In the article, disease experts boldly announced, "The rate of change of sexual partners - especially concurrent partners - is a crucial determinant in the spread of sexually transmitted infections . . . . There would be no global AIDS pandemic were it not for multiple sexual partners" [1].

They also advocated an "ABC" approach to dealing with the epidemic, similar to the strategy used by several nations: Abstinence or delay of sexual activity, Be faithful and reduce partner number, consistent Condom use. The greatest emphasis was placed on reducing partner number and being faithful (in tandem with consistent condom use). Promiscuous sexual behavior was viewed as the primary reason for the spread of HIV/AIDS.

In the previous ROUND Con insinuated that gay men are somehow incapble of being monogamous. This is a bold claim. In actuality everyone is capable of being monogamous - and social and environmental pressures can often facilitate that, as it has in parts of Africa, Asia, the Carribean and elsewhere, because of the aggressive HIV/AIDS pandemic and because of ardent national concern. In 2012, the United Nations announced that HIV infection in Africa and elsewhere has continued to plummet because of national campaigns like the one above, promoting abstinence, being faithful to a single partner, and regular condom use. New HIV infections have dropped by more than 50% compared to 2001 in nations like Malawi (73%), Botswana (71%), Namibia (68%) Zambia (58% ), Zimbabwe (50%); in South Africa and Swaziland new HIV infections have decreased by 41% [2].

The surprisingly good news is that these public campaigns do work. HIV/AIDs related deaths have also dropped by 25% globally because of the progress seen with these national campaigns and because of greater investment in STD prevention and treatment [2]. Public campaigns against unsafe sex and promiscuity really do benefit a nation.

My contention is that a civilization is best served by promoting both abstinence and monogamy among its people, gay, bisexual, transgendered or straight.

Gay and bisexual people are perfectly capable of being sexual monogamous - and this can be facilitated by the right social pressures. For example, a study released by the CDC in 2000 showed that sexually active gay people then were more monogamous than sexually active gay people in 1975, primarily because of the scourge of HIV. In fact, the authors of the study also noted that monogamy increased among straight people during this period exactly for this same reason [3]! Social, environmental pressures clearly do change our habits.

The CDC study showed that in 2000 [3]:

-only 10% of heterosexual married men had reported having sex with someone other than their spouse while married, compared to 28% in 1975.

-only 14% of heterosexual married women had reported having sex with someone other than their spouse while married, compared to 23% in 1975.

-59% of gay men reported having sex with someone other than their main partner while involved with them, compared to 83% in 1975.

-only 8% of lesbians reported having sex with someone other than their main partner while involved with them, compared to 28% in 1975.

The authors of the study speculated that greater awareness of HIV and STDs had led to less infidelity outside of relationships [3].

As society further opens itself up to monogamous gay and bisexual partnerships/marriage, I believe less and less infidelity will be commited.

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk...

[2] http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com...

[3] http://www.thebodypro.com...
bubbatheclown

Con

So you're saying both gay people and straight people have become monogamous because of STDs like AIDS. But first, most people mistakenly believe that birth control thingamajigs will prevent contracting AIDS. Male birth control devices actually have micro-fractures large enough for the AIDS virus, which is a lot smaller than a sperm, to fit through. Therefore, birth control will not actually protect against AIDS.
You say that less people have reported cheating. But alas, perhaps this simply means people are being dishonest. Yes, the numbers do suggest that AIDS is less of a problem today. But this is most likely due to prevention methods, not increased monogamy.
Juan_Pablo

Pro

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) agrees with you that condoms do not provide absolute protection against HIV and other stds ( in fact, there are some STDs that condoms demonstrate very little protection against ). But if used right, condoms do significantly reduce one's chances of contracting HIV and other specified STDs. I'm not going to post stats, but laboratory tests show that condoms do provide an effective barrier against even the tiniest STD pathogens, including HIV [1]. Despite what you claim, studies demonstrate that cheating in marriage and in long-term partnerships has decreased over the last decades, with increased knowledge and worries of STDs and HIV. Unsafe sex and promiscuity carries greater risk of declining health and even death, so the public at large is reacting to this message in a suitable and responsible way. There are some STDs, such as Human papillomavirus (HPV), that can be transmitted through simple skin-on-skin contact, and which can develop into serious health issues later in time. A person infected by specific strands of HPV, for example, can go on to develop precancerous lesions and invasive cancer [2]. Thus the CDC places emphasis on knowing your partner(s) sexual history and taking precautions where necessary.

Marriages, relationships, and society in general benefit when people take sexual responsibility seriously.

The statistic in ROUND 2 shows that 59% of male homosexuals cheated on their long-term partners in 2000; this is still too much infidelity - and it partly explains why men who have sex with men remain a population severely affected by HIV [3]. But the fact that cheating has decreased among this group since 1975 demonstrates that gay men understand the health risks involved with unsafe sex and promiscuity. As a gay man I understand the dangers to my health posed by unsafe sex and serial promiscuity. But I understand that there are better, more responsible ways to be gay in the modern world. That's why I advocate safe sex and emphasize long-term monogamy for all sexually active gay, bisexual, and trangendered men and women.

Genuine, long-term monogamy is the most responsible way any sexually active adult can live. A couple that are united in love and that are commited to each other in life will have an easier time. Knowing your partner's history and having a sound knowledge of who he or she is makes one's own life easier. It also optmizes the health and life satisfaction of both people - conditions that generally benefit society.

A topic for the next ROUND.

[1] http://www.cdc.gov...

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...

[3] http://www.cdc.gov...
bubbatheclown

Con

Some of the sources cited in the book "Truth Decay" (the book I cited as a source) concerning homosexual behavior were from studies dating back to the 1980s, though the book itself was made relatively recent (2006 I think). In light of what you have said and the sources you have provided, I must conclude that measures to bring about homosexual monogamy have proven successful. I am personally against homosexual behavior, but that is not what this debate is about. Your point, that homosexual monogamy should be encouraged, has been proven. Therefore, you win this debate. The next round is irrelevant because con has already won.
Vote for con! (But nobody's paying any attention to this debate anyway)
Juan_Pablo

Pro

I happily accept your concession, Con!

Thanks for your understanding and I hope this has been an informative experience.

Thanks and I wish you the best in life.
bubbatheclown

Con

bubbatheclown forfeited this round.
Posted by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
It doesn't really answer my question.
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
go = god
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
Otaku, is it fair to say I just don't like go or trust him?
Posted by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
"He's intentionally allowed his religious people to believe the garbage they keep in their hearts!"

Which beliefs are you referring to?
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
I will however add that God shares a huge share of the blame for the modern state of the world. He's intentionally allowed his religious people to believe the garbage they keep in their hearts!
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
Con said: "( But nobody's paying any attention to this debate anyway. )"

Yeah, I hear you. Sadly a lot of people are attracted to conflict and don't like to have their ideas scrutinized on either side of the political spectrum, which is sad. People generally like to have their beliefs reaffirmed rather than carefully and meticulously criticized.

I suppose if we went at each other like two vicious animals in a dog fight the crowd would be much larger. But we both chose to do this in a peaceful, understanding fashion - and so we lost some people.

I guess that's a flaw about human nature.
Posted by bubbatheclown 3 years ago
bubbatheclown
Pro has won this debate, not con.
Posted by bubbatheclown 3 years ago
bubbatheclown
Sorry, I meant vote for pro.
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
I'm now working on my ROUND 3 response.
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
Bubbatheclown,

I'm going to be busy this weekend so you probably wont get a reply from me immediately. But I will respond to your ROUND2 arguments in ROUND3.

Thanks!