Classic Rock Competition

--------------Classic Rock Competition--------------

Classic Rock will be loosely defined, but shall be limited to, for the proposes of this debate, music of the "Rock" genre which was recorded between the years of 1960-1990.

Rd. 1) Intro
Rd. 2-5) Classic Rock Awesomeness

(1) Debaters will post up to five classic rock songs from Youtube, and will type the name of the song and artist in a list format.

(2) Debaters may but are not required to provide brief comments on the song(s) of their choosing.

(1) Judges must be human beings.

(2) Judges are requested to listen to all songs, but may vote however they feel like.

(3) Rock on.

(1) Debaters must adhere to the aforementioned proscriptions of conduct that the debate may transpire in such a way that rocks on.

(2) No debater is to be held liable by judges if the video for the song said debater chose is removed from Youtube.

(3) Acceptance of this debate indicates acceptance of all rules herein, and indicates that this debate will be conducted in good faith that DDO may benefit from the intended awesomeness that may ensue.

(4) Drugs, sex and Rock and Roll. That is all.

Peace and love,

I cordially accept the challenge for nothing more than to spread the greatness that is Rock music that was probably recorded before you were born, unless of course you're Roy.

On an unrelated note I'm going to try and get back into debating so I'm starting in the shallow end with a debate that isn't really a debate.

Drugs, sex and Rock and Roll,

(1) All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

(2) Mississippi Queen - Mountain

(3) Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stone

(4) Layla - Eric Clapton

(5) Long Cool Woman - The Hollies

Hello audience.

Throughout this debate I'd like to take you on a musical journey. One that starts out slow and somber, but eventually reaches a crescendo the likes of which will be most pleasing to your ears. In this first round we'll start off with a sampling of folk rock songs.

The first of which is Blowin' in the Wind as popularized by Peter, Paul & Mary. Originally written by Bob Dylan the song quickly became an anthem for the civil rights movement in the 1960s due to its message about the fickleness of freedom and how the song seems to articulate the hardships faced by the black community during that time and their aspirations for the future.

Next we have Cat's in the Cradle by Henry Chapin; a song that is often mis-attributed to Cat Stevens. In this song Chapin describes the life of a new father. He has bills to pay and work to do which forces him to miss time with his family. He isn't present for many things in his son's life and all the while his son looks up to him and proclaims that once he grows up he'll be just like his dad. Eventually the son grows up and the father now has time to spend with his son. However the tables are turned and life is keeping his son busy. It's a cautionary tale that basically says that your family is more important than things like work.

Lastly there is American Pie the magnum opus of singer/songwriter Don McLean. This song is a tribute to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J. P. Richardson; all of whom were rock icons that died in a plane crash. The date of that crash was thereafter dubbed "The Day the Music Died". The song outlines the day from the perspectives of many different people from many walks of life until eventually describing the horrible crash. This beautiful song is often described as one of the greatest ever written.

Next we move on to some songs that are still slow, but begin to pick up in tone and tempo. Popularized during the seventies and eighties, power ballads were written by many great rock bands and often showed off their softer side.

Open Arms is arguably Journey's most popular song, even more so than Don't Stop Believing, and describes a man's plea to his lover to forgive him for his wrongdoings and begin their love anew. The song is often described as the greatest love song ever written and is the best power ballad ever written according to VH1.

Total Eclipse of the Heart is a whole other beast entirely. Performed by Bonnie Tyler the song seems to describe an erotic dream but however the song is taken to another level of absurdity in the music video due to its complete lack of direction. Ninjas, football players, Greasers and angelic choir boys are only a few of the characters you'll meet on the journey that is Total Eclipse of the Heart.

(1) Def Leppard - Hysteria

(2) Whitesnake - Here I Go Again

(3) Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer

(4) Ozzy Osbourne-Crazy Train

(5) Kiss - New york Groove

Next up on Korashk's journey through classic rock we wrap up the power ballads, move on to some songs performed by iconic guitarists, and wrap up with a song by an iconic band.

First up is the song Sister Christian by Night Ranger. It was the band's most popular song; ranked #34 on VH1's top 100 songs of the eighties and peaked at #5 on Billboard Hot 100, staying on the list for 24 weeks. It was written and sung by the band's drummer, Kelly Keagy, as a tribute to his sister.

Next up is Sweet Child o' Mine as performed by Guns N' Roses. The song began as a joke because the iconic introduction riff was just a warm-up exercise performed by Slash that Axl Rose put to lyrics. Slash carries a certain level of disdain for the song because what started as a joke is now arguably his most iconic performance.

Third we have one of the greatest guitar solos of all time, Eruption. This guitar solo was performed by Eddie Van Halen and is considered by many to be one of, if not, the greatest guitar solos ever performed. The edit I'm presenting to you all is Eruption leading into the band's song You Got Me, which is how it appeared on Van Halen's self titled album and on the radio.

Rounding out the iconic guitarist section we have Black Magic Womanas popularized by Santana. The song covers an earlier version written and performed by the band Fleetwood Mac, but was much more popular than the original due to Carlos Santana's masterful work with a guitar.

We finish this round with Renegade by Styx. The song covers the thought of a criminal about to be executed as he reflects on his life and the things that let him to his life of crime and demise.

(1) Guns N' Roses- Paradise City

(2) Def Leppard- Pour Some Sugar on Me

(3) Bryan Adams - Summer Of '69

(4) Skid Row- I Remember You

(5) Rolling Stones- Start Me Up

I'll wait until the final round to make the case for why I've won this debate, based on the songs I've posted. The reason I'm waiting is because I want you to form your own conclusions, before I analyze. That's what rock music is all about: freedom to enjoy the moment.

Peace out.

I'll close out the journey through rock portion of the debate with the rest of the iconic bands and conclude with some heavy metal.

First up we have a song by the band that basically defined music in the seventies, Queen. Fat Bottomed Girls is a simple song with a simple premise; admiring the luscious posteriors of attractive women.

Carry on my Wayward Son by Kansas doesn't really have much of a story behind it besides being an inspirational and well written piece of music. It holds a special place in my mind because of its use to end seasons on the show Supernatural.

And for the last category I'll let the songs mostly speak for themselves. First up is We're Not Gonna' Take It by Twisted sister, then we have two songs by two pioneers of metal. Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin and Heaven and Hell by Blask Sabbath.

Sound the metal.

(1) Genesis Land of Confusion

(2) Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire

(3) Bonnie Tyler - I Need a Hero

(4) Lita Ford, ft. Ozzy Osbourne - Close My eyes Forever

(5) Heat Of The Moment - Asia

There were two primary objectives here, that I hope I accomplished. The first is to offer a variety of some of the best classic rock songs ever made. The second is share that list with DDO. I started out with Jimmy Hendrix, Mountain, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and The Hollies. Those were the glory days of late 60's and 70's early classic rock. While Hendrix and the Stones are widely known, Clapton (and his former band) as well as Mountain and The Hollies never reached the same level of prominence (well, Clapton did) but nevertheless deserve recognition and I hope you enjoyed them. I salute my opponent's choosing Harry Chapin, Don McLean and Bonnie Tyler. Those were great choices. I like Journey too, but ever since Journey songs have been Glee-ified, they just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

In the next round, I chose some massive hits that came out of or around the 1980s. Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Ozzy and Kiss were seminal to what 80's music was and what the power ballad was all about. Theirs were songs that were fun to sing, fun to hear, but those same artists would come out with songs that would touch the heart. This selection is only the beginning of 80s music. There is so much more, and I hope that you take what's here and use it to launch explorations into music history of your own.

In the following round, More Def Leppard, some Guns and Roses, Brian Adams, Skid Row and back to the Rolling Stones. It's no surprise, Def Leppard is probably one of my all time favorite bands and they are the face of Classic Rock. Vh1 made a movie about their story called Hysteria that I'd encourage you to look into if you like. It's fkn amazing. Brian Adams is kind of the outlier, but I put that in to show contrast. What's awesome about Brian Adams is that he was singing about classic rock, in what is now a classic rock song. Meta-classic rocking, ftw. Perhaps that's pushing it though. It's cool.

In this final round, I want to talk about Genesis for a bit. Phil Collins was the lead singer and that band nothing less than paved the way for an entire genre of metal that would develop out of some of the stuff that he and Genesis did together. Land of Confusion was later remade by Disturbed, whose cover was just as good but brought the song into the new millennium. Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire is a song that talks about change over time, the problems of a generation, and the inheritance a the Baby Boomers were about to receive from their parents... Now, we're in the same boat. It's cool to think about time like that. Pay attention to the lyrics. If you don't know what something is, learn! (That song has actually been used in classrooms for the past two decades). Bonnie Tyler and Lita Ford are my shout outs to the ladies of classic rock, who deserve every bit as much attention as the guys do. I thought about putting Heart in here, but there are only so many songs I can list per round. Lita Ford's song ft. Ozzy Osbourne is about suicide, and it will almost make you cry if you open yourself up to the song's meaning. It's chilling; no doubt. Finally, Heat of the Moment is a great place to end. It's fast, it's fun, and it sums up what classic rock is all about: savoring the moment, because it doesn't last, but it can sure as hell still be enjoyed.

I hope you enjoyed this, and I hope you gained an exposure to Classic Rock, perhaps for the first time, or perhaps for the millionth time. In any case, peace out.

I'd like to thank my opponent for this lighthearted and civil debate, even though I was going to put All Along the Watchtower in my guitarist section. I've always enjoyed listening to older music and this was my chance to share many of the gems with the world.

For my final round I'm just going to post five songs that I really enjoy and let the music speak for itself.

The House of the Rising Sun by The Animals
Hey Jude by The Beatles
Down on the Corner by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Jukebox Hero by Foreigner
The final Countdown by Europe
Posted by YYW 3 years ago
Thanks for the vote, Phantom!
Posted by Korashk 3 years ago
/// You guys only include ONE Queen song? Fat bottomed girls was the best you guys could do?! Come bloody on! It's QUEEN! ///

Not the point. I'm not going to post Bohemian Rhapsody or We are the Champions because everyone knows those songs. I tried to steer clear of well known stuff as much as my criteria allowed. Plus a lot of Queen's good songs that I personally enjoy were written in the nineties.
Posted by phantom 3 years ago
RFD part 1

This has kind of made me want to do one of these.

That was allot to listen to. Might have got more votes if there was one less round or something.

Since it would otherwise be tough to make up my mind on which selection of songs are better, I've just rated each song as I listen so I can add up the scores at the end.

I would add that con's explanations of the songs did help with his score. Knowing what the songs were about made me appreciate them better. I don't think pro added anything to his rating with his arguments.

Ratings are in the post below this.
Posted by phantom 3 years ago
RFD part 2.

=Pro 2nd round=
42 total

Hendrix 9/10 dat guitar

Mountain 7/10

Stones 9/10

Clapton 10/10 Mainly for second half/instrumental

The Hollies 7/10

=Con 2nd round=
36 total

P/P/M 6/10

Chapman 6/10

McLean 10/10 Sad/beautiful

Journey 7/10

Bonnie Tyler 7/10

=Pro Round 3=
39 total

Def Leppard 7/10

Whitesnake 6/10

Bon Jovi 9/10

Ozzy 9/10

KISS 8/10

=Con Round 3=
41 total

Night Ranger 8/10

Guns N' Roses 10/10 Love this song.

Van Halen 7/10 Don't see what's so great about that solo. Never been a big Van Halen fan.

Santana 9/10 Good choice.

Styx 7/10

=Pro Round 4=
39 total

Guns N' Roses 10/10 Another great Guns N' Roses song.

Def Leppard 8/10 Finally found this song again!

Bryan Adams 7/10

Skid Row 7/10

Rolling Stones 7/10 Not my favorite stones song.

=Con round 4=
38 total

Queen 7/10 If you're going to post Queen, do one of their better songs. There are plenty.

Kansas 9/10 Prog rock awesomeness.

Twisted sister 6/10

Led Zeppelin 8/10 Just heard this one the radio.

Black Sabbath 8/10

=Pro round 5=
38 total

Genesis 7/10 Post-Gabriel Genesis is just not as good.

Billy Joel 10/10 Love this song :-)

Bonnie Tyler 7/10 I don't know why but there are only a few female singers I like. She's not one of them.

Lita Ford 6/10 nah

Asia 8/10 Good band/song.

=Con round 5=
40 total

Animals 8/10

Beatles 9/10 Naaa na na na na na naaa hey jude. Sh!t that's going to be stuck in my head all night.

Creedence 6/10 Too countryish.

Foreigner 8/10

Europe 9/10 Love that first minute. Good song to finish off the debate.

Pro grand total 158

Con grand total 155

Posted by daytonanerd 3 years ago
You guys only include ONE Queen song? Fat bottomed girls was the best you guys could do?! Come bloody on! It's QUEEN!
Posted by YYW 3 years ago
Very cool, Phantom. And lol F-16... I wish I could play the guitar.... unfortunately I have almost no musical talent.
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 3 years ago
*Eagerly clicked on link hoping to see YYW singing/playing the guitar*

*Sees a bunch of vidoes and walks away blue-balled*
Posted by phantom 3 years ago
Hmmm. This needs a tie breaker. I'll be done with school next Saturday, so maybe I'll vote a week from now.
Posted by bossyburrito 3 years ago
Because I can't decide between this many amazing songs.
Posted by YYW 3 years ago
Why not?
Vote Placed by phantom 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This whole thing is too subjective to judge... Nice to see the extended version of We're Not Going To Take It (6 minute video, for a 3 minute song).