1dustpelt
THEBOMB

Classical Music Contest

1dustpelt
Started: 4/28/2012 Category: Arts

1dustpelt

Pro

Kind of like the "Word Debates". Basically we have a contest on the better music. Voters, vote on who you think had the better choices. Trolling = Forfeiting the debate. I'll start.
THEBOMB

Con

This will be a first :P

Anyone who does not feel anything when listening to this has something psychologically wrong with them...
1dustpelt

Pro

One of my favorites. :D
THEBOMB

Con

I see your Handel and raise you a Debussy :P

Considered to be one of the most influential impressionistic composers, Debussy, sadly, is not very well known outside of musical circles. In 1890, he composed his famous "Suite Bergamasque", to long to put the whole thing here, included within the "Suite Bergamasque" was his masterpiece, the Clair de Lune. While originally composed solely for piano (the Suite was a piano solo) there are beautiful orchestral arrangements, here is the London Symphony Orchestra playing an arrangement of Clair de Lune. I hope the people of DDO enjoy. :)
1dustpelt

Pro

Here comes Corelli. :)

Arcangelo Corelli (17 February 1653 – 8 January 1713) was an Italian violinist and composer of Baroque music.

The style of execution introduced by Corelli and preserved by his pupils, such as Francesco Geminiani, Pietro Locatelli, and many others, was of vital importance for the development of violin playing. It has been said that the paths of all of the famous violinist-composers of 18th-century Italy led to Arcangelo Corelli who was their "iconic point of reference".

Johann Sebastian Bach studied the works of Corelli and based an organ fugue (BWV 579) on Corelli's Opus 3 of 1689.

Unfortunately, Corelli is not as well known as he deserves to be. :(
THEBOMB

Con

And off the races: Tchaikovsky.

Two of Tchaikovsky's most well known pieces are the Nutcracker Suite and the 1812 Overture. For this round, I choose neither of these. My choice is Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto no. 1 in B flat minor. This piece, although a bit longer (at 34 minutes), is well worth the listen. If you have a busy schedule at least play it while your doing whatever it is you need to do. It is considered to be one of Tchaikovsky's finest works. This version features pianist Martha Argerich, accompanied by the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. Enjoy! :D
1dustpelt

Pro

The Concerto for 2 Violins, Strings and Continuo in D Minor, BWV 1043, also known as the Double Violin Concerto or "Bach Double", is perhaps one of the most famous works by J. S. Bach and considered among the best examples of the work of the late Baroque period. Bach wrote it between 1730 and 1731 when he was the cantor at Thomasschule, in Leipzig, Germany.[
THEBOMB

Con

Now I was thinking of putting Mozart's unfinished master work (his Requiem) up, but, then I decided it would be to mean to put up a one hour piece of music. Then I'm like hmmm....maybe Bach's Goldberg variations....another 1 hour piece of music. GRRR...there's to much great classical music out there...

Once again, I must apologize for the length of this piece (at 30:09) it is rather long, but, it is worth the listen.

The 41st "Jupiter" Symphony, the last Symphony ever written by the great composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. It is unknown whether he actually got to hear the products of his own work. Considered to be one of Mozart's greatest works the piece is easily recognizable by its main theme. Enjoy! :D
1dustpelt

Pro

The Marriage of Figaro was a comic opera composed in 1786 by Mozart, based on a stage comedy by Pierre Beaumarchais. Although the play by Beaumarchais was at first banned in Vienna because of its satire of the aristocracy, considered dangerous in the decade before the French Revolution, the opera became one of Mozart's most successful works. The overture is especially famous and is often played as a concert piece. The musical material of the overture is not used later in the work, aside from two brief phrases during the Count's part in the terzetto Cosa sento! in act 1.

I thank THEBOMB for this fun debate.

#!
THEBOMB

Con

Thank you 1dustpelt for this wonderful debate! :D

To finish off, back to Tchaikovsky we go. The 1812 Overture, a rather fitting piece for the end of a debate :P. It is notable for well....you'll see. Don't want to ruin the surprise.

Written to commemorate the Russian victory over Napoleon in 1812, it quickly rose to wide spread fame. This piece is well known by musicians and nonmusicians alike. I hope the readers err...listeners have all have enjoyed the music.
Posted by haert09 4 years ago
haert09
Hello My Dear,
I am well pleased to contact you after viewing your profile today through my mail contact mail address is
hamisikipkalye(at)yahoo(dot)com) give me your mail for easy contact send it directly to my mail box now and i will add you ok
God bless you.
Yours friend.
hamisi
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
now to wait!
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
I liked this, it was 2 the other day, calling lynch mob
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
lol somebody doesn't like classical music!
Posted by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
Who disliked it AGAIN!?!?!
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
*GROWL* I now have to hunt them down and steal their soul!!
Posted by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
How dare someone dislike this! >:-d
Posted by Ron-Paul 5 years ago
Ron-Paul
This is a great debate.
Posted by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
I'll match a moving piece with a moving piece. :D
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
PRO is winning in round 1, CON, your songs style was not as exciting, but was moving. But so far this debate is awesome.
Vote Placed by TUF 5 years ago
TUF
1dustpeltTHEBOMBTied
Reasons for voting decision: I liked Pro Round 3 and Round 5 the best, and that's what did it for me. I cant say I have a huge taste in this type of music generally, but the music was definitely pleasant to listen to. Con had fantastic taste of music as well, so I will give him points as well.
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
1dustpeltTHEBOMBTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro won round 1 with Vivaldi. Not really sure with round 2 or 3 as I really didn't care for one over the other. Con gets round 4 because I found Mozart's symphony superior to Bach's violin concerto. Pro definitely wins round 5 because I don't care for the 1812 Overture. Pro won 2 and Con won 1... so I give Pro 2 points and Con 1 point.
Vote Placed by Koopin 5 years ago
Koopin
1dustpeltTHEBOMBTied
Reasons for voting decision: I have to say it was a hard pick. I love all these. But dust won for me.
Vote Placed by WriterDave 5 years ago
WriterDave
1dustpeltTHEBOMBTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro won 1 and 5, Con won 2 and 3, and 4 was a tie. Equal spelling, conduct and sources. I don't know why I'm voting either. Want some tea?
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
1dustpeltTHEBOMBTied
Reasons for voting decision: Better songs..... R1 - PRO. R2 - tie. R3 - CON, R4 - CON, R5 - tie. CON wins two rounds, pro won one, and two where tied. CON therefore wins.