MusicLoverForever
GiantHogweed

Classical Music is Better for Concentration Than Other Types of Music

Started: 4/11/2016 Category: Music

MusicLoverForever

Pro

I am taking the side that it is better. It has been scientifically proven that it's better for relaxation, concentration, and memory than music such as rock, pop, or music with words.
GiantHogweed

Con

I argue against Classical Music being the supreme genre for concentration. Studies from the university of Dayton have shown that listening to classical music (Mozart) does increase concentration, but does not at all prove that it is the optimum genre. Many instrumental styles of music have been proven to increase levels of concentration, especially those in the ambient electronic genres (Steve Roach, Michael Stearns etc) and also in Jazz.
I would also argue that some classical music could be detrimental to concentration, Thredony for Hiroshima Victims by Penderecki is an example where concentration could be lost due to the dissonance of the piece.
Overall the term Classical is far too broad to represent any style of music which could only have beneficial effects to concentration, and even if it was indeed possible, it would still be incorrect.
MusicLoverForever

Pro

MusicLoverForever forfeited this round.
GiantHogweed

Con

GiantHogweed forfeited this round.
MusicLoverForever

Pro

MusicLoverForever forfeited this round.
GiantHogweed

Con

GiantHogweed forfeited this round.
Posted by missmozart 6 months ago
missmozart
Classical music includes opera you know...which has words. Also I think it really depends on the person. As a mere student of classical music, I find it TERRIBLY distracting to have something like Chopin's Polonaise or the Brandenburg Concertos playing in the background when I'm trying to concentrate or study.
Posted by TheSideSpectator 6 months ago
TheSideSpectator
"music with words" = songs