BradK
Darthsquidge

Classroom Education is Inferior To Personalized Education (like KhanAcademy)

BradK

Pro

By classroom education, I am referring to the k-12 school system where people are grouped into a class of a few dozen, and a single teacher instructs the class with a few hour long sessions per week.

By personalized education, I'm referring to something like KhanAcademy, where the student is allowed to progress at whatever pace they wish, and can jump ahead or spend more time with topics.

In both cases, a syllabus should be presented to the student, and there should be testing. Students would be given material to learn, and they have to prove they learned it. An advantage in personalized education, is that a student can be forced to have to understand a topic before moving on, whereas with classroom education, even if some people do not understand the topic the entire class moves on anyways.

With personalized education 10-20 minutes can be used for instruction and they could be rewatched as necessary. With classroom education, sessions of an hour on a certain topic are held, and are often not recorded and people may not have adequate notes taken, or given to them. Classroom sessions are often not as productive as a 10-20 minute videos, as evident in many testimonies found in comments left on such videos.

That is why I am on the side of personalized education, also known as the Digital Aristotle. Interested in debating?
Darthsquidge

Con

I will accept your challenge.

You bring up some very good points for Personalized education and I will admit, that the pace of the classroom can be a big problem. However I must state the fact that a big part of school is getting kids ready for the real world. With personalized education people may learn at their own pace, but in the classroom, kids can get used to working, in groups, or being behind.

In a job you can't always work at your own pace, their are often deadlines that you have to meet, and in a classroom it allows for students to start to get used to this. Students could get used to working at their own pace, and won't be ready for the reality of a job. However in a classroom there is much more stress, and it is much more job like. While it is very important to get kids to understand what they're being taught, it means nothing if they aren't prepared for the job environment.

I say classrooms are better because it gives students the ability to start becoming used to being behind, and have deadlines, and other factors that they will have to face when you get to a job. In personalized education, this is much harder for students to get used to as much of this stress is taken away.
BradK

Pro

Thank you for accepting.

You are pointing out some of the successful traits of classroom education, but I do not think that a group setting is the ideal environment for the raw process of installing an understanding of math/chemistry/physics/biology/other core subjects into a growing brain, which is the ultimate goal of k-12 education [1]. The priority should be raw education, not preparing students for job environments, and besides how does personalized education prevent students from preparing for jobs? Teachers can still force them to learn at a certain minimum pace with personalized instruction.

The Khan Academy approach has already been implemented within schools successfully [2]. A common observation from the implementation is that students are more interested in learning and that the ones who finish the learning requirements early have the option to go onto advanced topics like calculus without being bottlenecked by the curriculum. In classroom education, this just is not possible and often the bright kids are wasting time listening to the teacher explain things they already understand. You even admitted the pace of classroom education is a problem but you didn't suggest a way to fix it. Khan Academy fixes this problem.

Your point that classrooms are better because they allow students to get used to deadlines/group work is invalid. These things are also possible in a school system that uses a personalized approach. There is nothing stopping a teacher from giving a test on a certain topic on a certain date, or giving group projects, in a course that uses Khan Academy as a source for material.

Also there is no reason for anyone to want a student to be behind in their studies. In fact that's what we want to avoid. Students in classroom settings can get a passing grade even if they don't understand part of the course. They might pass a math class but not understand how to square a quadratic equation. What advantage does such a student get if they move on without understanding something?
Darthsquidge

Con

You're still putting students into a much more laid back situation. I was never trying to say we want students to be behind, I was simply saying when they are behind they have the ability to learn to catch up. I a job situation you will not always be caught up and you'll have to learn how to catch up. It's better for students to be able to know how to be able to catch up in class, than in their job. Yes students may learn better in the personalized classroom, but learning the material is only one part of school. Another very important part is getting students ready for a job. Personalized education removed many of the stressors from school that you will have to face in a job. It is much better for students to face these stressors in school than in a job.
BradK

Pro

It a classroom setting, not all of the students will be able to learn the skills they need to be able to catch up when they fall behind. The students in the bottom percentile will learn how to cope with being behind, but the students in the top percentile will be uchallenged and the classroom pace will actually be too slow for them.

So in effect, this helps the bottom percentile but harms the top percentile. The kids who learn the fastest will end up getting straight A's and they will actually end up learning bad habits. Since they might not even need to do any study to pass a test or even ace it, they will learn bad habits like procrastination, which will be rewarded by the fact that they still pulled a good mark.

If you personalize a child's education path, then you can set them up so that they are always having to put in effort. In classroom education, only the bottom percentile of student get this opportunity. Overall, what I'm saying is that personalized education gives you the chance to push everyone, but group education only allows you to push the slowest learners.

If you want to put stressors on the whole class, between personalized education and group classroom education, the former is your weapon of choice.
Darthsquidge

Con

The top percentile will not always be on top, eventually in a classroom they will fall behind, and then be able to learn how to catch back up then. In personalized education there is on falling behind or catching up. So students don't have that option to be able to learn how to catch up, which is a part of a job. It comes down to the point that it doesn't matter if students are able to take their time and be able to work on their own pace if they are not prepared for the situation which they will face in a job, and personalized education just does not do a good enough job of getting students ready for a job, while the laid back approach will help them work at their own pace, it will not allow for them to get used to the less laid back and more stressed world of jobs.
BradK

Pro

You have it backwards. You are claiming

(1) Personalized education is more laid back than group education.

Group education can only go as fast as the slowest learner; the slowest learner will allow the fastest learner to take a nap in class and still get a 95% average. If the learning pace is set individually for each student though, then all students can be pushed at the fastest pace they can handle. Group education is actually more laid back.
Darthsquidge

Con

My point is still valid. That of Personalized Education will not properly prepare people for a job. That is something you haven't really refuted, I still think personalized education is more laid back, but that's not my main point here. While it is good to allow students to work at their own pace, it is important to prepare students for the stress and difficult times of the workplace. Classroom's prepare students for the workplace better, if students do not learn how to deal with this stress, then having a good education will mean nothing.
BradK

Pro

Last round, so you will be getting the last word.

I may not have made it clear that I'm arguing from the point of view of personalized education taking place in an actual classroom. Did you check out my sources? There are plenty of examples of Khan Academy being integrated into schools and working [2]. The sources were in the comments but I'll post them again below. I'd encourage you to watch all 3 of these videos before responding so we are on the same page.

Unless you can describe any sort of schooling experience that is limited to the old style of education in a classroom, and cannot for any reason take place in a classroom that uses Khan Academy, then you do not have a valid contention that

(2)"personalized education can't prepare people for jobs in ways that group education can".

Again please refer to my sources so you understand exactly what I mean by "personalized education".
(watch from 8:00 to 9:30)
[1]http://www.youtube.com...
[2]https://www.khanacademy.org...

and from that list, in particular:

[3]https://www.khanacademy.org...

Thank you
Darthsquidge

Con

Darthsquidge forfeited this round.
Posted by BradK 3 years ago
BradK
[1]http://www.youtube.com...?

rel=0&start=478&end=570&autoplay=1

[2]https://www.khanacademy.org...-

practices-k12/a/classroom-case-studies
Posted by DreamSymphony00 3 years ago
DreamSymphony00
I agree with Darthsquidge so far. Personalized education is great but it doesn't prepare you for the real world.