DaPro7822
LDPOFODebATeR0328

Classrooms should have closed circuit cameras

LDPOFODebATeR0328

DaPro7822

Pro

Hello All,

Today we will be debating if classrooms should have closed circuit cameras. Before we start i would like to make some rules clear. Your argument should be no longer than 10,000 characters and only one troll argument, but please refrain from them. You are only allowed to present one argument per round. Those are the only rules, so lets get right to it!

Since I am on the Affirmative side, I have the right to define the topic.

Closed Circuit Camera - can produce images or recordings for surveillance purposes, and can be either video cameras, or digital stills cameras.

First of all, closed circuit cameras would stop students from committing crimes, such as cheating on tests, bullying, etc. The idea of closed circuit cameras has gained great momentum in Britain, where 85 percent of schools currently have closed circuit cameras and some schools, such as Stockwell Park High School in South London, have over 100 cameras inside its buildings. During the 2005"06 school year, according to the most recent statistics available from the U.S. Department of Education, 86 percent of public schools nationwide reported that one or more serious violent incidents, thefts, or other crimes had occurred at their school, for a total of roughly 2.2 million crimes. That works out to about one crime reported for every 20 students. And that doesn"t include vandalism and graffiti: Nearly 100,000 incidents of vandalism are reported in the United States public school system every year.With closed circuit cameras, the number of crimes would drop dramatically. Terry Piper, the principal at Seaholm High School in Birmingham, Michigan, feels the time is right for security cameras at his school. After all, dozens of schools in their county have already done it, and with some success. "There are 30 high schools in Oakland County, and every single one of them has security cameras except Seaholm and Groves," Piper says. "They"ve seen thefts go down. They"ve been able to solve instances of They"ve been able to solve instances of vandalism on occasion, and there have been student altercations where they"ve been helpful. They also serve as a deterrent, so you never know how many things might have happened if you hadn"t had them."

Now I will wait for my opponent to respond to my argument.
LDPOFODebATeR0328

Con

Hello.

Due to lack of time, I'm going to straight on to rebuttal.

Basically, my opponent had one argument.

"First of all, closed circuit cameras would stop students from committing crimes, such as cheating on tests, bullying, etc. The idea of closed circuit cameras has gained great momentum in Britain, where 85 percent of schools currently have closed circuit cameras and some schools, such as Stockwell Park High School in South London, have over 100 cameras inside its buildings. During the 2005"06 school year, according to the most recent statistics available from the U.S. Department of Education, 86 percent of public schools nationwide reported that one or more serious violent incidents, thefts, or other crimes had occurred at their school, for a total of roughly 2.2 million crimes. That works out to about one crime reported for every 20 students. And that doesn"t include vandalism and graffiti: Nearly 100,000 incidents of vandalism are reported in the United States public school system every year.With closed circuit cameras, the number of crimes would drop dramatically. Terry Piper, the principal at Seaholm High School in Birmingham, Michigan, feels the time is right for security cameras at his school. After all, dozens of schools in their county have already done it, and with some success. "There are 30 high schools in Oakland County, and every single one of them has security cameras except Seaholm and Groves," Piper says. "They"ve seen thefts go down. They"ve been able to solve instances of They"ve been able to solve instances of vandalism on occasion, and there have been student altercations where they"ve been helpful. They also serve as a deterrent, so you never know how many things might have happened if you hadn"t had them.""

1.) Plagiarism:

My opponent brought up detailed statistics and arguments, but he provided no link to his source. I was befuddled by this. I soon discovered that my opponent plagiarized.

Here are the links that he plaigirized from:
1.) http://lawstreetmedia.com...
2.) http://www.scholastic.com...

2.) CCTVs have not been proved affected. In Britian, CCTVs are widely used. Sociologists studying the issue (about CCTVs) soon discovered that CCTVs have NOT YET reduced crimes. "'Once the crime and offence figures were adjusted to take account of the general downward trend in crimes and offences,' criminologists found in one study, 'reductions were noted in certain categories but there was no evidence to suggest that the cameras had reduced crime overall in the city centre.' A 2005 study for the British Home Office also found that cameras did not cut crime or the fear of crime (as had a 2002 study, also for the British government)." [1]

I'd like to remind the judges that all of my opponent's arguments are now invalid, due to plagiarism.

[1] https://www.aclu.org...
DaPro7822

Pro

First of all, I will go on to my rebuttal,

The rules never stated that I could not, as you say, "plagiarize", or in other words, copy and paste, therefore your rebuttal on plagiarizing is invalid and should be disregarded.

I would also like to state that you only provided only TWO sources for your argument, which is not sufficient enough. You also provided only two statistics. There have been many other sources that contradicted your first point, such as:

1. http://www.college.police.uk...
2. http://www.campbellcollaboration.org...
3.http://www.crimeprevention.gov.au...

Another statistic provided by USC College also states that the cameras will reduce crimes.

My second contention is that the bullying rate will go down.

1. Nearly 1 in 3 students (27.8%) report being bullied during the school year (National Center for Educational Statistics, 2013).
2. 41% reported being victims of physical bullying, and 45% reported being victims of psychological bullying (Zweig, Dank, Lachman & Yahner, 2013).
3. Students who experience bullying are at increased risk for depression, anxiety, sleep difficulties, and poor school adjustment (Center for Disease Control, 2012).
4. Students who experience bullying are twice as likely as non-bullied peers to experience negative health effects such as headaches and stomachaches (Gini and Pozzoli, 2013)
5. Although school staff reported a willingness to intervene in bullying situations, less than 40% of staff reported being directly involved in formal bullying prevention activities (National Education Association [NEA], 2011).
6. Approximately 58% of kids admit to never telling an adult when they've been the victim of a bullying attack (i-SAFE, 2004).
7. 160,000 students per day stay home from school because of bullying (National Education Association, 2003).

These are all statistics that back up my second contention. Again, thousands of students are being bullied by the minute. Less than forty percent of teachers will interfere with the bully and victim. With CCTVs, teachers and victims won't have to worry about bullies. All of the bully causing negatives will be washed away due to these cameras.

Although my opponent attempted to shoot down my point, he has utterly failed in doing so. He also failed to provide a link from his point to the topic. So, to summarize, My opponent's point should be disregarded due to my list of credible sources and due to his weak rebuttal.

Side Note: I would also like to add that he has portrayed me as a male, although I am a female.
LDPOFODebATeR0328

Con

Hmm...

"The rules never stated that I could not, as you say, "plagiarize", or in other words, copy and paste, therefore your rebuttal on plagiarizing is invalid and should be disregarded."

I understand that you are new to DDO. Plagiarism is NOT allowed here. "Your" first speech is not your work. You just "copied and pasted" someone else's work. Isn't it common sense? Copying someone else's work is not moral without his/her permission is immoral. Well, this is up to the judges.

"I would also like to state that you only provided only TWO sources for your argument, which is not sufficient enough. You also provided only two statistics. There have been many other sources that contradicted your first point, such as: (and then sources)"

The quantity does not matter; the quality does.

Your sources provide weak arguments:
1.) First source was inaccessible (it doesn't open up for some reason)
2.) Statistics shown in this source were weak and indescriptive. (Lack of explanations)
3.) This source actually supports my side, as well. I shall explain about it later on (3rd speech).

"My second contention is that the bullying rate will go down."

Your supporting arguments are irrelevant to your claim. Your statistics talk about how bullying is a major issue; it doesn’t mention anything about how bullying rate would go down. Thus this argument is invalid. Moving onto my arguments.

Argument 1: CCTV violates Privacy

BBC News decided to conduct a survey for students, based on CCTVs at school. Most of them thought that having CCTVs was a bad idea. Many claimed that they were quite "annoying." Some also claimed that they "go to school to learn, not to be watched over." As a student, I completely agree them. Wouldn't it feel awkward if a camera is watching over you, during the whole school day? [1]

Argument 2: CCTVs are NOT Successful

"Massive investment in CCTV cameras to prevent crime in the UK has failed to have a significant impact, despite billions of pounds spent on the new technology, a senior police officer piloting a new database has warned. Only 3% of street robberies in London were solved using CCTV images, despite the fact that Britain has more security cameras than any other country in Europe." [2]

This means that although tons of money are being spent on CCTVs, they barely decreased the crime rate. This argument proves how unsuccessful CCTVs would be, even if we spend millions of dollars.

If CCTVs are not successful outside, how can we be sure that they would work at school?

My opponent has failed to explain how successful CCTVs are. Instead, he only talks how bullying is a common issue in US.

For all the reasons, please vote for the negative side. Thank you.

Source:
[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk...
[2] http://www.theguardian.com...

DaPro7822

Pro

DaPro7822 forfeited this round.
LDPOFODebATeR0328

Con

RFD:
1.) Plagiarism:
My opponent plagiarized, as I mentioned during my first speech.

2.) Forfeit:
Extend all arguments.

3.) My opponent failed to prove how CCTVs are successful:
My opponent was unable to bring up a statistic that shows how effective CCTVs are. Instead, he merely talks about how the bullying rate (crime) is gradually becoming a bigger problem.

For all these reasons, please vote for the negative side of this debate. Thank you.
Posted by DaPro7822 2 years ago
DaPro7822
This is going to be tricky
Posted by DaPro7822 2 years ago
DaPro7822
This is my first time debating on Debate.org
Posted by DaPro7822 2 years ago
DaPro7822
Wow, have fun!
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
DaPro7822LDPOFODebATeR0328Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff and plagiarism
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
DaPro7822LDPOFODebATeR0328Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for plagerizing and forfeiture. Con wins sourcing by finding how these things were plagerized and he gets arguments as Pro failed to properly debate and uphold the BOP.