Michaelphelps
Jonathan11

Clayton Kershaw should win the 2013 NL MVP Award.

Started: 9/4/2013 Category: Sports

Michaelphelps

Pro

This argument is about whether not Clayton Kershaw should win the 2013 NL MVP award.

I think Kershaw should win the award because he gave his team the best chance to win I think the Most Valuable player should be one who gives one team the best chance to win by preventing runs with a 1.89 ERA he can gives his team a fighting chance to win each start.
Jonathan11

Con

I think Paul Goldschmidt will win because he has shown us a numerous amount of times that he can get his team out of a pickle and squeak out a win every day o the week.
Michaelphelps

Pro

May I begin by stating that Clayton Kershaw has amassed one of the most improbable seasons in baseball memory Since World War II, only five pitchers have had seasons of at least 204 innings pitched while holding an ERA of 1.72 or below. If Kershaw can continue his run of excellence over the next five weeks, he"ll join Dean Chance, Bob Gibson, Luis Tiant, Dwight Gooden and Greg Maddux atop the list of great pitching seasons of all time. Kershaw has already proving he is one of the best pitchers of all time and this caliber season is cementing his estimation. After striking out nine batters in a no-decision Tuesday night in Los Angeles, the Dodgers lefty boasts the following pitching line for the season: 28 GS, 204 IP, 197 SO, 0.88 WHIP, 5.9 H/9, 4.28 SO/BB, 1.72 ERA, 2.37 FIP, 2.91 xFIP, 207 ERA-plus. As you can see Clayton Kershaw prevents runs from scoring and stops the opposition from hitting. Therefore each time he goes to the mound his team has a heightened chance to win

I will concede Paul Goldschimdt has aggregated quite the season as well but he has his flaws. Posting a WAR of only 5.9 he has not always given his team a chance to win although he had an MVP season last year he has been plagued by inconsistecy down the stretch of 2013 .

"he has shown us a numerous amount of times that he can get his team out of a pickle and squeak out a win every day o the week."

This statement is completely false. When the D-Backs are in a pickle it is Paul Goldschmidt who is the first to falter. Goldshmidt's weighted runs created (wRC) is 65. which doesn't even make him the most clutch FIRST BASEMAN in the NL. whereas Clayton Kershaw is a effective tool day in and day out.
Jonathan11

Con

All your info is completely irrelevant and false, plus Goldy won MVP last year Goldy alone can carry his team and can schwas him self out of any dill pickle. now I feel that I've won this debate.
Michaelphelps

Pro

I understand your doubt in my sources so here they are:

1. http://www.baseball-reference.com...

2. http://www.baseball-reference.com...

Thank you for taking the time out of your day for this debate.
Jonathan11

Con

well I don't know where you're getting your sources from, but I'm getting mine from Bobs online forum.

VOTE FOR ME
Posted by deever 3 years ago
deever
I usaully don't like it when pitchers win the MVP, but Kershaw is having a phenomal season.
Posted by deever 3 years ago
deever
Posted by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
I would debate you, except I agree that he's the NL mvp.