Always-thinKING
LiamKNOW

Climate Change Has Been Accelerated By Human Activity

Always-thinKING

Pro

With rising ocean and air temperatures climate change is no longer deniable. I will show how climate change has been accelerated by human activity.

First round for acceptance and opening argument.
LiamKNOW

Con

I accept your challenge, and look forward to discussing this interesting topic.

As the one making the positive assertion, I think it is reasonable that you should shoulder the burden of proof. However, in this first post I will outline my reasons for disagreeing with your position.

1) Global climate patterns remain poorly understood, as evidenced by our complete inability to accurately forecast weather more than about a week in advance. Climate models imperfectly attribute responsibility for climatic changes to different astronomical, geological, or physical phenomena.

2) The Earth's climate is cyclical, making linear predictions unreliable. Based on contemporary data, scientists in the 20th century warned that the globe would be plunged into an ice age if radical changes to human activity were not made. A few decades later, it's clear that their alarmism was ill-founded, and took insufficient account of Earth's cyclical climate.

3) Carbon dioxide, a gas whose rising concentrations in our atmosphere is often accused of promoting climate change, has fluctuated significantly in Earth's history, and has reached far greater concentrations than those with which we are coping. Millenia ago, meteorologists tell us, natural occurrences far beyond humans' ability to influence caused carbon dioxide levels to rise sharply, and later declined. Rising CO2 levels may cause our planet to warm, but we cannot safely conclude that human activity is responsible.

There are my three points. I thank my opponent again for engaging in the debate.
Always-thinKING

Pro

Always-thinKING forfeited this round.
LiamKNOW

Con

LiamKNOW forfeited this round.
Always-thinKING

Pro

My complete apologies, I have been very busy this holiday season and missed round 2. Now to the debate..

I would like to refute Con's opening statement.

"1) Global climate patterns remain poorly understood, as evidenced by our complete inability to accurately forecast weather more than about a week in advance. Climate models imperfectly attribute responsibility for climatic changes to different astronomical, geological, or physical phenomena."
- Global climate patterns are fairly understood. It's a very safe bet that it won't snow in Florida during the month of August. It's also another safe bet that a hurricane will not reach Minnesota. Although we can not pin point the exact second it will rain next week in Dallas, we have a pretty good idea of what the temperature will roughly be and the spectrum/likelihood of
wind speed and direction. We have a very good method of understanding past climate data; "Ice core records provide the most direct and detailed way to investigate past climate and atmospheric conditions." (1).

"2..) ..Based of contemporary data, scientist in the 20th century warned that the globe would be plunged into an ice age if radical changes to human activity".
-While a limited number did believe this, the consensus of human accelerated climate change is still there. Warming and cooling are a change, ones that these scientist too credited to humans. On a side note, scientist used to think that smoking cigarettes was good for you and that marijuana would make white women sleep with black men..

3.) Your point on changing C02 levels is correct throughout earths' history, but thats not what the debate is about. Yes, climate has changed since the begging of Earth.. but is it now being accelerated by humans? I believe so.

Now, lets do a quick study on the changing climate of Maine over the last 100 years: "Over the past 100 years, temperatures throughout the Northeast have risen by about 2 degrees Fahrenheit, according to a federal report released this year known as the National Climate Assessment. Precipitation has increased by more than 10 percent, with the worst storms bringing significantly more rain and snow. And sea levels have climbed by a foot. A study by the Gulf of Maine Research Institute this year found that coastal waters are warming at a rate faster than 99 percent of the world"s other oceans." (2). CO2 holds more heat per hour than the mixture of gases in the atmosphere, and c02 is pumped into the atmosphere every second by the mass amounts of vehicles, cars, and ships. The more heat in the atmosphere via CO2 released by humans the more energy absorbed by water and the more energy storms have to draw from. (3)

I know Maine isn't the whole world, but It's climate change has certainly been accelerated by human green house gas emissions. The data is irrefutable.

I will end this round with this example. If you have a machine that can pump out an atmospheric gas that holds more heat in a closed room than the current atmospheric mixture the temperature in the room will rise. That room is the atmosphere of earth and that machine is any vehicle or device that produces pollution.

(1) http://climatechange.umaine.edu...
(2) http://www.bostonglobe.com...
(3) http://www.nwf.org...
LiamKNOW

Con

LiamKNOW forfeited this round.
Always-thinKING

Pro

Always-thinKING forfeited this round.
LiamKNOW

Con

LiamKNOW forfeited this round.
Posted by Lukas8 2 years ago
Lukas8
No, wrong CON. The climate is the average weather pattern of a region. You cant fully predict weather. But the climate is basically sort of statistics. Plus CO2 isn't the only gas responsible ,also methane, N2O and aerosol. Next, we can compare the levels of average temp. and the average amount of CO2 through history. You also can analyse this with the deep ancient ice in the Antarctic. That showed us that the last the CO2 amounts didn't really change in the last 3000 years, but according to the 21,20,19 and even 18th century meteorological reports has both the amount of CO2 and Earths average temp. grown. Nature has many other mechanism that could be causing the GW, but they cant be efficient enough. Natural mechanism takes longer than the intervention of our species. And with that I mean especially The US and China, that are the worst polluters. However the natural feedback is quite visible today, but it was launched because of us, and we are still accelerating it. You cant blame the nature.
Posted by Vajrasattva-LeRoy 2 years ago
Vajrasattva-LeRoy
The idea that human activity affects climate change may be perfectly true.
The idea that human activity affects climate change significantly is a different thing entirely.
Climate change may involve warming, cooling, or both.
Climate change is apparently changeable,
but I see no reason for it to be cyclical.
I've read that the Greenhouse Gas that produces the most warming is Water Vapor.
Oceans cover about 70 % of the earth's surface ...