amostayz
miloisqueer

Cloning is good for mankind.

amostayz

Pro

Cloning has already taken place in the form of Dolly the sheep. It is a technology that is inevitable and can only be beneficial to humans. It should be allowed in all the countries in the world without any inhibitions.
miloisqueer

Con

It's an interesting debate, and I'm curious to see where you'll take it. I'd like to start out by saying some of my main contentions:

Earth is already extremely overpopulated--Cloning may just worsen this problem, particularly if the technology is overused (which, knowing humans, it will be. We're known for inventing things that should improve life and allowing them to destroy it instead). People and other animals alike breed at an alarming rate, and don't need the help of cloning.

Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should. The process of cloning is a primarily untested technology, and anything that goes wrong would likely be extremely detrimental to mankind. Cloning could affect any number of things in a natural body, and these results are unknown as of yet. Allowing clones into our world would likely cause more problems than it could plausibly solve,

What precisely do you think cloning would improve?
-Milo
amostayz

Pro

Cloning does not necessarily mean to clone an entire person. I acknowledge the potential risks involved if we were to do that. One of my proposals is to clone organs. For example, people who are in need of kidney transplants will benefit as there will not be any occurrence of rejection by the cloned transplant. Cloning of ears, limbs, hearts are other examples.

Another aspect is to clone meat for food consumption. For example, if we can clone chicken thigh meat, there will not be any animal sufferings. There will not be any animal abuse in farms. We can then manufacture meats without the expense of killing chickens, cows and pigs.
miloisqueer

Con

Okay, I see where you're coming from there. However, I've done a bit of research on the detrimental effects of cloned creatures which I believe could extend to cloning of organs. "The clones that have been produced, they say, often have problems severe enough -- developmental delays, heart defects, lung problems and malfunctioning immune systems -- to give pause to anyone thinking of cloning a human being. In one example that seems like science fiction come true, some cloned mice that appeared normal suddenly, as young adults, grew grotesquely fat."[1] This is a bit worrying in and of itself. If these defects focus on such important power centers of the body as heart, lungs, and the immune system, who is to say that these problems will not also be passed to individual organs. These organs may be more apt to infection and decay in the body. Organ transplant is debilitating enough in and of itself, leaving people's bodies trying desperately to displace the foreign tissue. This natural effect is lessened by medicines that lessen the immune system's effectiveness, causing weakness to infection already. If an organ with such weaknesses as were mentioned above was to be put into someone, it would not be even as simple as the already complicated process of transplantation.

Now, to your idea of cloned meat: As something is cloned, it is indicated above that some part of it is lost, be it resistance to disease or healthiness. This could take away the natural benefits of meat, and could even cause outbreaks of disease and formerly unknown societal problems.

While I agree with you that in a perfect world cloning could improve lives, the world we live in, full of fallible humans, is bound for destruction if such a practice is adopted.
amostayz

Pro

amostayz forfeited this round.
miloisqueer

Con

I think I've made my points, good luck to Pro.