trpeckham
tuckergardner6

Cloning

trpeckham

Pro

Imagine a person with a severe injury. Like maybe they are paralyzed with a severe back or neck injury. Or maybe someone who has lost a limb. Or possibly in the not so distant future, you could have an exact copy of yourself. Stem cells and cloning may be able to fix those things.
Stem cells are a type of cell found in the embryonic. They are an almost base cell. Because later on pregnancy they begin to turn into all the cells the body will use (e.g. brain, muscle, heart, skin, bone etc.). But they turn into anything that they are near. So if you place stem cells combined with certain chemicals and DNA next to someone's brain it could repair brain damage. This is caused by the stem cells cloning themselves into the cells around them. This type of cloning is called therapeutic, it is used to help animals, and hopefully at one point people too. There is another type of cloning that literally allows us to make an exact copy of creatures through birth. It has only been tested on animals and is still very basic and in the early stages. There are still some obstacles to get over but if we push through with some hard work and dedication we will be sure to have cloning become something very well possible.
There are obviously going to be some complications. One complication that we have is that the cells we are taking we are trying to make them feel like they are brand new, and although we can make them think they are new, they don"t always act like it. This means that some cells may die much earlier than normal causing the animal or creature to die earlier too. We are working on this issue and seem to be progressing very well. But in my opinion stem cell research and cloning should push on because I see in the future that this will become very useful. And may even save thousands of lives and make even more lives better.
tuckergardner6

Con

Would you want to be cloned? Or be a clone? I wouldn't. Wouldn't you rather be your own person completly different from everyone else and be yourself. FIrst off cloning takes a lot of time. It took the scientests who created dolly the sheep 277 tries! Imagine that with a human. Some succesful sheep were born before dolly but they had abnormalities and deformed body parts. Imagine that with a human many babies would die and others would be born with abnormalities and deformed limbs and body parts if they tried cloning a human. It would take scientests many long years and a lot of deaths and deformed babies to finally figure out a safe way to clone humans.
trpeckham

Pro

Cloning; both therapeutic and duplications have been a major breakthrough in modern day human technology. They allow to make copies of themselves or repair limbs and catastrophic brain damage. This technology could help thousands upon thousands of human beings, we just need more money to be put into this and we could do wonders for the world. Some of the risks could be birth defects or mess ups on the genetic scale. This things will just take more time to work out. Think about it, my phone has a processing core that is more than 200 times more powerful than the first computer ever built. Like all things important it takes time and hard work. And I"m sure if we add that to some dedication, human spirit, a bit of green that we will come out successful and possibly change the world. But there is still one thing we have to overcome, that is what people believe. And now we can"t change the beliefs of the people, we can show them that it may not actually so horrible after all. One of the major ethical issues that we have today is that stem cells come from aborted fetuses. People who are religious don"t think that we should have abortions. They believe that life starts as soon as the first cell divides, I do not believe this, I feel it is wrong to think such things. In my own opinion life starts for the baby when technically could survive on its own outside the womb. Otherwise it seems like it is still just part of the mother. Another ethical issue that once again traces back to religion is the fact that people don"t feel like that we have the right to be playing god so to speak. In other words some people don"t think that should be allowed to mess around with the DNA and cells of living beings. In conclusion, I believe that stem cell and cloning research should be continued and put through at full force. I believe that the benefits are much greater and more powerful than the risks of doing this type of medicine.
tuckergardner6

Con

I know that you dont beleive that life doesnt begin when the first cell divides but many people do. These people do not beleive what you beilive. Also you say that the benifits are much greater and more powerful than the risks of doing this type of medicine. The benifits may be great but do you know how many innocent babies would be killed or born with deformaties and issues? A lot. Like what i said earlier it took 277 tries for a sheep to be cloned. Many were born with issues. A human it could be the same, more or less. We dont know. We cant be risking babies lives just to clone people and have them be the same. In my opinion its just stupid.
trpeckham

Pro

I don"t understand how you can argue against something that would help save or preserve another persons life. Stem cells are a great part of modern medicine, I don"t understand how anyone would want to take this away from other people. This I do not feel should be forced or And your point of Dolly the sheep and how long it took her to be born. That was 1999, when this type of technology was still extremely new. It is now 2014, we have advanced ten fold since then. You also argue that it would take to long to make this workable, then you are right it could take ten years and it could take one hundred years, but if we want this to ever work then we have to pass this as a law to be allowed. And once we have enough technology then we should be able to conduct human trials. I do not feel like we have enough types of medicine nowadays to try and conduct this on humans.
tuckergardner6

Con

Even with the new technology we have today, we still do not know the results of cloning on humans. Life it too valuable to risk something of this magnitude. Since there is no way to test cloning to see if it will even work on humans, other than testing it on humans, this is simply too risky. Would you risk deformities, birth defects and death on humans? On a member of your own family? Stem cell research is an ethical issue because of how the stem cells are extracted. There are many who feel that when the embryonic cells are extracted it is taking away human life. I do not believe that the potential results of stem cell research are worth taking away life. I believe that life begins at conception.
trpeckham

Pro

I believe that cloning and more importantly stem cell research should be conducted with the utmost importance. I feel it is very important that cloning research and more importantly stem cell research be put the front line instead of disavowed by people. It can save people"s lives and make even more, better. Think of a time where no matter what life threatening disease, or deformity that you have could be treated and brought back. Why would people not want this gift, I don"t know. But at least do not ruin it for others by making a law that bans this technological breakthrough in modern medicine.
tuckergardner6

Con

In conclusion i think that cloning and stem cell reasearch should not be allowed. Even with new techonology and scientests I still do not feel that we are ready for this type of thing. Many babies would die or be born with deformaties or issues. As I said earlier, life is just too important to be risking death and deformaties on babies. With stem cell research, it is taking away human life. I know some people (like you) feel that life begins at conception, but many like me, dont. I truly hope you will think it over again and change your opinion.