Rperezrojas
allieroberts

Cloning

Rperezrojas

Pro

Wouldn"t you feel better about yourself if you knew you could help thousands of people? I hope so. Now there"s cloning going on. I know some of you guys are thinking "Like in books and movies?!" My answer to that is no. You know what cloning is. And if you don"t cloning is when a cell, cell product, or organism is genetically identical to the unit or individual from which it was derived. Cloning is important because if you"re in a accident and you lose one of your limbs or organs or a body part, with therapeutic cloning you may be able to get it back. If you"re a victim of heart attack, cloning can help by cloning healthy heart cells and putting it in damaged areas of the heart. Infertile couples can now have kids with cloning. Cloning can help people with disabilities. I strongly believe that cloning should not be banned.
allieroberts

Con

Wouldn"t you feel bad about wasting the possibility of life with an unsuccessful cloning experiment? With the use of embryonic cells, we've been successfully cloning mammals since the mid-1980's, but the possibility of actually creating a clone goes from 0.1% to 3%. This means that for every 1000 attempts, 1 to 30 clones are produced. That is up to 70 eggs wasted. With reproductive cloning, those eggs could have possibly been babies. Do you feel comfortable allowing scientists to take away the possibility of life from an egg? I should hope not. In addition, cloning could take away a sense of individuality, since a clone is the genetically identical twin to the person who provided the genetic material, no matter the age of either person. In my opinion, cloning should not be allowed because it strips a human of individuality, and has a very low success rate.
Rperezrojas

Pro

The risks/cons for cloning are that there is a possibility of faster aging. This is because you are using an older cell to clone. Another risk is that it may reduce the overall value of human life. If you didn"t like your first child, you can try to make the perfect child with cloning. Another con is that there is a reduced sense of individuality. Cloning makes us seem all the same. I got this information from "Pros and Cons of Human Cloning." HealthRF. Health Research Funding.Org, 6 Dec. 2013. Web. 25 Feb. 2014." I posted benefits of cloning in my introduction. I got that information from "Smith, Simon. "The Benefits of Human Cloning." The Benefits of Human Cloning. Human Cloning Foundation, 26 Feb. 1998. Web. 24 Feb. 2014." Ethical issues with cloning are that "religious organizations. They all strongly oppose cloning as according to the religious belief life begins at conception and that life cannot be created artificially but from the unity of a man and female. At the same time, the church together with the other religious organizations argue against therapeutic cloning as well because, as mentioned above, they are guided by the idea that life starts at the conception and once the embryo exists it must be treated as a person, and thus destroying embryos and using them only for the purpose of research is not consistent with the religious view on the issue." That was a quote from "Cloning- Ethical Issues." Ethical Issues Of Cloning. Bioarts.Com. Web. 24 Feb. 2014." People think that life begins at the stage of an egg cell. Because of this , they think that by using an egg cell that we are killing a human being.
allieroberts

Con

If you think cloning should be legal, then why are you contradicting yourself? You are saying that most think it is immoral, and that it goes against religious beliefs. This doesn"t sound like a "pro" side argument to me.

Since I am strongly believe that cloning is wrong, a huge issue that I have with it is that it could minimize the value of human life, and we wouldn't be individuals. Human life could be looked upon as something you can perfectly create, and that if your child doesn"t satisfy your needs, you can go out and get another one made, tailored to your specific wants.

Also, a caste-like system could re-emerge, putting perfect clones on the top. They would be the "genetically perfected". Smart, and attractive. They would also most likely be rich, since cloning is highly expensive and time consuming. How does that sound to you? A race of beautiful, genius people that are treated better than the average. I can tell you one thing, you wouldn"t like it at all. Naturally made humans may be treated differently than the clones. They are average. You wouldn"t be considered smart, or pretty unless you were a clone. This is one of the possible negative consequences of cloning.

Ethics are highly controversial in the case of cloning. Many thing is is wrong for scientists to "play God". Most traditional Christians refer to an embryo as a human being that has a soul. They think it is immoral for scientists to clone to create or destroy embryos, even in the case of research. Around 78.4 percent of America is Christian, according to "Summary of Key Findings." Statistics on Religion in America Report. Web. 03 Mar. 2014. If cloning was legal, nearly 78.4 percent of the U.S.A. would disagree with it. They think that when using an unfertilized egg for any type of cloning you are killing a possible human, a possible child. This doesn"t seem at all moral, to me.
Rperezrojas

Pro

Cloning is only bad if you make it bad. You see, Cloning can help million and thousands of people. People with disabilities can be helped. I myself do not agree with making a race of perfect individuals. I feel like that is wrong. You are only looking at the negatives of cloning. I only wrote negatives in that paragraph to show others what the negatives can be. So if they later on they found out, they wouldn't"t blame me for not telling them in my paragraph. If people use cloning in such a way, I will strongly disagree with their wrong-doings.

Some woman don"t feel like cloning is good because they need to donate one egg cell. The thing is, Us women have a lot of egg cells to spare. Will it really hurt us if we donate one egg cell? And for your comment of "They think that when using an unfertilized egg for any type of cloning you are killing a possible human, a possible child. " Wouldn't"t you think it better for a person to not have lived in the first place, or be killed later on? what if you got an a accident and lost the power to move your leg? And the doctors say " There is a possibility to gain power of your foot once more. But you would need therapeutic cloning." Would your answer be no? Would you really believe so strongly that cloning is that bad that you wouldn't"t try to save yourself in any way?
allieroberts

Con

In my opinion, the cons of cloning outweigh the pros. So many things can go wrong, and so many eggs are needed to produce a clone, that you have to ask yourself: Is it really worth it?

Personally, I would not want therapeutic cloning. I wouldn't want a woman to have to give up her eggs for my needs. Donating eggs for cloning of any type, therapeutic or not, could turn into a negative thing. Women, similar to being used for prostitution, could be forced to sell their eggs for money. There could be a black market for human egg cells. Would you really feel comfortable using a unwillingly given egg? If cloning was done with, this would never have a need to happen.

Along with selling human egg cells, the percentage of miscarriages is undeniably high. 90% of all animal cloning pregnancies result in miscarriage. Most of these miscarriages happen later on in the pregnancy, according to The British Fertility Society. To me, never having a baby at all is better than conceiving one, and losing it. Besides, there are hundreds of thousands of children available for adoption in the U.S. alone.
Rperezrojas

Pro

This is our last time to argue. I hope you think that cloning is good now. There aren"t many cons on cloning. All you can really do with the cons are write more details about them in depth. But for pros there are many. I will happily list some of them." Cloning might produce a greater understanding of the cause of miscarriages, which might lead to a treatment to prevent spontaneous abortions. This would help women who can't bring a fetus to term. It might lead to an understanding of the way a morula (mass of cells developed from a blastula) attaches itself to the uterine wall. This might generate new and successful contraceptives." I got that quote from "The Cloning Debate: Pro Views." ThinkQuest. Oracle Foundation, n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2014." What this quote says is that cloning can help woman who can"t produce a child. Here is another quote. "Easy replacement of internal organs and tissues for patients in need of transplants instead of waiting for suitable organ donors, alive or dead. Since the transplanted organ contains most of the recipient"s genes, there is a lesser chance for rejection as well.
Cloning can be a solution to the infertility issue among couples. Theoretically speaking, parents can choose the desirable qualities in their genes to be passed on to their children.
Genetic research can immensely benefit from cloning especially in combating the wide range of genetic diseases." This information was from "Surfcrs. "Organ Cloning." Organ Cloning RSS. Organ Cloning, 19 Jan. 2011. Web. 08 Mar. 2014." This quote has 3 pros. 1.There is easy replacement of organs. 2.Cloning is a solution to infertile couples. 3. Research with cloning can help understand diseases. I keep saying this in my paragraphs but cloning can help people with disabilities or people with diseases. If someone in your family had cancer and they thought that with cloning they might discover a cure. Wouldn't"t you be all for it? Cloning is such a useful thing for so many people. I still stand for Pro on cloning. Thank you for reading this.
allieroberts

Con

There aren"t many cons to cloning? How about premature death, high rate of miscarriage, moral issues, very low success rate, and loss of individuality? It seems to me that there are quite a few.

I can"t see how you think cloning is a solution for infertile couples. The only couples that would be able to afford it would be the rich and famous. Even if a couple did find enough money, the success rate is simply not high enough to guarantee they leave with a child.

"For a recent paper on cloning in Science, Peter Mombaerts Peter Mombaerts , a scientist at Rockefeller University in New York City who clones mice, ran through 4,000 mouse oocytes"he estimates that might be $2,000 worth of mice. Doing the same work in humans, he estimates, could cost $2 million.

Scientists will almost certainly use fewer eggs if therapeutic cloning is used on people. But even if it required a mere 100 eggs, taken from ten donors, the cost of simply paying the donors could easily reach $50,000. On top of that, there would be medical costs involved in procuring the egg. Mombaerts believes it could cost more than $1,000 per egg when all is said and done. That means costs to treat one patient could conceivably soar above $100,000." This is according to "Cloning's High Cost." Forbes. Forbes Magazine. Web. 09 Mar. 2014.

How many average American citizens do you think actually have the money to pay for something like that? The median income was $51,017 a year, says Hargreaves, Steve. "Poverty Rate 15%, Median Income $51,017." CNNMoney. Cable News Network, 17 Sept. 2013. Web. 09 Mar. 2014. That is barely over half the cost of therapeutic cloning.
The way I see it, cloning is highly impractical. Seeing as the cost is high, and the success rate low, very few can afford it. Along with reducing the value of life, cloning shortens the lifespan of the cloned organism. On top of all that, by continuing with cloning we are one step closer to a dystopian-like society where non-clones are frowned upon, and individuality is a crime. I believe cloning will do more harm than good, and this is why I have, and always will, support the con side.