ReedInman
brandoncantu2

Cloning

ReedInman

Pro

Cloning is one of the potentially bests advances in science of all time. Cloning is the process of making a genetic copy of something through nonsexual means. Cloning happens naturally with plants, but not with most animals. In order to clone animals scientist have tried to transplant the genes of a cell into an unfertilized egg. The first cloned mammal was Dolly, a sheep who was successfully cloned in 1996. Since then there have been many more cloned mammals like cows and pigs. All of this cloning has started the debate on whether it would be alright to clone humans. I think that cloning should be aloud because, Cloning can help lesbians and gays have genetically related children and help couples who have fertility issues have genetically related children. Most of all cloning is a reproductive right and there is no reason that we should be denied that right.
brandoncantu2

Con

How do you feel about death? I for one don"t like it. But in the issue with cloning thats all it brings before 1 successful clone is made. Hundreds of pointless deaths before only one success like with dolly the first success at cloning a sheep. But what about the 276 attempts before dolly all ending in death. I am against cloning because it doesn"t really benefit us in anyway. I mean yea cloning could be used on some animals that have similar organs to humans but with all the failed attempts will it really be worth it or the clone born in time?
ReedInman

Pro

I think that cloning should be aloud because it is a reproductive right. There are many people who aren't able to have genetically related children because of fertility issues like not being able to produce eggs or sperm. How would you feel if you had one of these issues and knowing cloning could help you have genetically related children, but you weren't aloud to because others thought it wasn't ethically right? I think it is your right to be able to have genetically through cloning and someone who thinks it's not ethically right shouldn't stop you. Cloning could also help people who are gay and lesbian have genetically related children.
brandoncantu2

Con

Human cloning hasn't been tested also I think the "parents" would suffer more if having to deal with the deaths of failed attempts at clonig and who knows when the clone will be born and survive. Just like in the case of dolly the first mammal cloned but after 276 failed attempts. If i had these problems i would find a way to cope with it instead of having a clone of myself or my wife. A human clone lacks the traits to truley be indepoendant like having actual parents. Also in general public in western nations identified the most important problem with cloning is whether the clones actually have souls. How would you feel if you had the conditions you said that didnt allow you to have kids and you tried cloning but sadly had to see each failed attempt result in death of the clone? Would it really be worth it in the end? What about when the clone dies because no clone is 100% healthy how do you think the "parents" would feel losing the only "child" the had?
ReedInman

Pro

In response to "How would you feel if you had the conditions you said that didn't allow you to have kids and you tried cloning but sadly had to see each failed attempt result in death of the clone? Would it really be worth it in the end?" I think that every medical advance in technology has its own risks. Cloning will eventually be perfected in mammals to the point where there would be very few failed attempts and deaths of the clone, it would then be safe to make human clones . So yes, I do believe that it would really worth it in the end because there wouldn't be the stress of deaths and failed attempts . I would now like to answer "What about when the clone dies because no clone is 100% healthy how do you think the "parents" would feel losing the only "child" the had?' I think that clones would be like normal people in that no person is ever 100% healthy and clones would eventually die just like all humans eventually die. A clones death would be just the same as a normal child's death, the parents would be just as emotionally impacted as if a normal child died.
brandoncantu2

Con

So if I am correct you do agree that even if cloning was perfected there is still a factor of failed attempts and deaths of said clones? Interesting. You also say "every medical advance in technology has its own risk" which is true considering there are risk factors not only for the clones being still born or dying early but also risk to the woman who bear them. I also completely agree with your statement about no one is 100% healthy but the thing is clones are less healthy than a normal human which could result in them becoming very ill or dying at a young age and no parent should ever have to deal with the death of their child.
ReedInman

Pro

You are correct that there will be some risk once cloning is perfected but I feel that there will be just the same amount of risk as having a normal child. The second argument you made about clones being less healthy than normal humans are is only true now. By the time cloning is perfected and humans are being cloned the clones will be just as healthy as normal people or even more healthy. In my closing words I would like to say that there is no reason for cloning not to be used once it is deemed safe and reliable. It can help many couples who have fertility issues and LGBT couples have children who are genetically related to them. Most of all it should be your reproductive right to be able to have a clone. Thank you for your time.
brandoncantu2

Con

I agree with your statement about there is a risk with natural birth but there is greater risk with cloning because the egg is electrified to think it is fertilized and it may not even work. Also the chance of a successful clone birth is low with out many failed attempts before the clone is born. You say technology will get better to the point where there is fewer deaths before a successful birth. But who knows how long it will take for technology to improve to the point where it is safe to clone and the number of deaths few to none. In the time it will take technology to reach the standards you stated may take to long and the couples and LGBT couples might give up on the clone for it taking so long and all the deaths. In conclusion I feel that cloning should not be aloud to continue for all the risks that go into it. Also what gives us the right to play god and create humans when things should be done naturally not technologically.