ccsk1225
Akamia

Cloppers: Pro or Con

Started: 6/12/2014 Category: TV

ccsk1225

Con

I get tired of telling people close to me that I'm a brony and then they tell me that's gross and weird that I like pony porn. I am not a clopper. I am a brony. There is a difference, and one group of people being defined by the minority is annoying. I don't care what you like, but don't make everyone else looks like perverts because you can't keep it to yourself. I like certain sexual things too, but I don't go around telling everyone about it, because I know most people don't want to here it or see it....I joined a group on Facebook to meet people who like MLP. Lots of the people are really cool, but every now and then a clopper will come on and post some nasty pictures. It's disturbing and most of the people don't like it. I'm not judging cloppers for liking what they do because I don't really care. I just don't want to see it every time I log into my account and I don't want other bronies to be judged my it. It's not fair to everyone in the brony community
Akamia

Pro

Hello. I'm Akamia. Like ccsk1225 (hereafter referred to as simply "Con", to save on typing space), I am also a brony, and I will be arguing the Pro side of this debate.

There is something to be said, however, and that is I am not entirely clear as to what my opponent is attempting to argue against. However, I will argue based on how I understand Con's position. Which is to say, I don't understand very well.

Opening Statement

There is something to be said about us humans. We love to generalize. Many of us love to associate the actions of the minority with the majority as well. Others like to outright lie about a given group; attack strawmen, if you will. With or without cloppers causing trouble, you would still encounter people like this. Incidentally, it's not just within the brony community where this sort of stuff comes up. I'd venture to say it happens within all fandoms. A sheer inevitability. The difference is that society is still getting used to the idea of the peripheral demographic that appears to be the majority of bronies, while they are mostly accepting of the other fandoms because they don't venture too much outside social norms. This creates more trouble for us, unfortunately, because many people appear to be very afraid of change. Ironically, even the brony community itself isn't immune to these types, as was demonstrated when Princess Twilight Sparkle was still considered a thing to complain about by a large portion of the community. Things have calmed down since then, but I have no reason to doubt that there are still members of the fandom who think this way.

My argument is primarily going to address the practicality of dealing with problem cloppers within the brony community. At present, I believe this is the only part that needs addressing. So let's begin.

The Problem

It appears Con is dealing with troubles in the form of societal pressure akin to what I have detailed in my opening statement, something that is not uncommon for us bronies. Given the tendency for many people to behave irrationally and illogically, this is not something new. This has been happening even before there were bronies.

As Con has stated, sometimes the actions of the minority can affect the perceptions of the majority by those outside the brony community. I'm going to appeal to Hanlon's Razor. These cloppers Con speaks of are likely not behaving out of malice, but out of stupidity, which happens fairly often to people. Many people suffer the consequences as a result, unfortunately. Those who don't meet the conditions for Hanlon's Razor to apply are likely your friendly neighborhood internet trolls or hate-driven anti-bronies attempting to give bronies a bad image, or simply just trying to get a rise out of us.

I am glad Con at the very least does not appear to make any sort of claim that cloppers (or clopping itself, even) are an actual problem. That would make this way too easy. Unfortunately, we could replace cloppers with literally any other problem, and get a similar result: Some group of bronies badly defends their community against dogmatic haters, bronies get seen as morons as a consequence. Some group of bronies work together and commit any crime, people get paranoid of bronies committing crimes as a consequence. My imagination is failing me at the moment, but I'm sure you get the point.

Practicality

We're never going to fully eliminate these trolls, or haters-in-disguise, or whatever they happen to be. That is simply an unreasonable demand, and every fandom suffers from these sorts of problems. It's not specific to bronies. The reason we notice it more is because we're apparently social deviants, and people apparently feel compelled to make mountains out of molehills. I don't see being "deviant" as a bad thing, by the way.

Even if I agree for the sake of argument that cloppers are actually causing this kind of trouble, accidentally or otherwise, people seem to be very likely to judge you on either your own, or your group's worst characteristics, or perceived worst characteristics, if you will, if it suits them in some way or another. The best possible defense is to promote rationality, I think. Cloppers are not to blame, per se.
ccsk1225

Con

ccsk1225 forfeited this round.
Akamia

Pro

I don't believe I have anything to say this round.
ccsk1225

Con

ccsk1225 forfeited this round.
Akamia

Pro

Akamia forfeited this round.
Posted by Akamia 3 years ago
Akamia
... Y'know, I get this eerie feeling I made a mistake. Were we supposed to agree on some sort of format?