Riversidegirl4life
royalpaladin

Club Penguin is better than Poptropica.

Riversidegirl4life

Riversidegirl4life

Pro

This is a fun debate, about whether Club Penguin or Poptropica is better.
When I say "better", I mean a more fun, stimulating combination of gaming and social networking for kids.
Rules:

1. Arguments which do not take into account the other side of the argument are invalid. For example, "Club Penguin is always growing and expanding" is an invalid comment, as Poptropica expands too. A valid argument would be "Club Penguin grows and expands more than Poptropica does". (In this case evidence should be given)
2. Make sure you source any facts. For example, "Poptropica has more users per annum than Club Penguin" would be invalid unless a source stating this statistic was given.

First round is acceptance, no arguing.
royalpaladin

Con

This sounds like a fun debate. I accept.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Club penguin is more interactive that Poptropica
On club penguin you can have more in depth conversations with people, as you can write your own messages instead of just picking one from a selection of three questions. Unless you're using safe-server chat, you can really write whatever you want with the exception of swearing. Being able to compose conversations using your own imagination is more stimulating, fun and realistic for kids. Kids will feel restricted if they can only pick what they want to say from a very narrow range, and even worse they only have a few answers to pick from, which means they can't answer honestly sometimes. Even on safe-server chat, the options for questions and answers are much wider than that on Poptropica. Club Penguin also offers the option to add someone as a buddy and send postcards, which is more interactive.

Coins are better than credits.
On Club Penguin you can earn coins whenever you need them, whereas on Poptropica you need to wait for a whole other island to be created before you can earn credits. This can take months, whereas on Club Penguin you can get coins whenever you want. This is better for kids who don't want to wait an entire month before they can buy new things for their character.

On Club Penguin you have a better sense of "character".
Besides customizing your character's appearance on Poptropica, you're character has very little identity at all.
On Club Penguin:
- You pick your character's name
- You can pick a personality for your character (geeky, sporty, funny etc) and express these through the things you say.
- By having an "igloo" you can create a home for your character, adding to it's individual personality.
-On Club Penguin, you don't have to do the same as everyone else! On Club Penguin you could be someone who hangs out at the beach, or likes solving missions, or likes making friends or collects cool furniture! Everyone is doing something different

On Poptropica:
-You get given a name.
-You can't really say what you like, so you can't create a personality for your character that others can see
-Your character doesn't have a home or anything else that defines it's character
-Every character has to do the exact same thing to solve an island. There is an exact "path" you have to follow to play Poptropica. It's more fun for kids to be able to pick what they want to do, and not do the same as everyone else.

You can make proper friends on Club Penguin.
By adding someone as your buddy, you can arrange another time to meet up on Club Penguin and go and do fun things together. Unless you know the person who is controlling a Poptropica character in real life, you could never meet up again on poptropica and create a friendship

Thanks for reading!
royalpaladin

Con

Negative Case
The affirmative case relies on the notion that Poptropica is inherently worse than Club Penguin. My contention is that it is fundamentally impossible to compare the two games because they serve different functions; while Poptropica is meant to be more educational, Club Penguin's sole purpose is to act as a mini-social network for children. Neither website is better than the other because they are not meant to compete.

Subpoint A: Subjectivity of "Best"

Since the two sites have compeltely distinct functions, they cannot be compared because what is considered "best" will be completely subjective. Stating otherwise is merely asserting an opinion rather than an argument. If my opponent says that apples taste better than oranges, she is simply advancing an opinion rather than a contention because whether or not apples actually taste better than oranges do is completely subjective. Similarly, since Poptropica and Club Penguin are meant to serve different functions, neither can actually be considered better than the other except if one weighs the impacts of each functiion (see the rest of the case).

Subpoint B: Poptropica is meant to be educational

The entire function of Poptropica is to instill basic human values like kindness, respect, and humility in children through a quest-based system. Players must save the inhabitants of a variety of different islands in order to earn coins and respect. For example, in Super Power Island, players are exposed to the importance of the police force and to the harmful impacts of crime, and they are asked to help volunteer to solve this problem. In addition, the quest-based system exposes players to a variety of academic subjects and thus helps them learn while they have fun playing an interactive flash game. In Time Tangled Island, players are exposed to a myraid of historical periods and figures, such as the Ancient Greeks, the Vikings, the Aztecs, and Leonardo Da Vinci. In Astro Knights Island, players are exposed to Arthurian legend and are taught about the dangers of unfettered biological experiments. In Counterfeit Island, players are exposed to a variety of renowned artists, and are asked to help expose a prominent art thief. In short, Poptropica's function is to expose children to a variety of subjects and lessons that can be useful later in life while simultaneously permitting them to play an online game.

Subpoint C: Education is better than random fun

While Poptropica helps teach children how to operate within a society, Club Penguin only exists to permit its users to have fun. In the long run, the educational benefits of Poptropica outweigh the transient social benefits that children will gain through playing Club Penguin with their friends. Poptropica is sowing the seeds for a better world; Club Penguin is not.

Response to Affirmative Case

She first posits that Club Penguin is more interactive because you can have conversations with others. I would turn this argument because contrary to being a benefit, it is actually a reason that Club Penguin is harmful. By exposing young children to chat servers, even if they are monitored, Club Penguin does little to teach children about internet safety. On the contrary, it makes them more comfortable with interacting with strangers and giving away private information on the internet. Poptropica attempts to teach children about internet safety by restricting the chat function to specific, predetermined questions that only have a few answers. This teaches children to be more restrained with the information that they disseminate on the internet.

She next claims that coins are better than credits because you have to wait for a whole month to get more credits. First, this can be bypassed on Poptropica by obtaining a membership. Second, I would turn this by noting that this teaches children about the value of patience. Since they do not receive instant gratification like they do on Club Penguin, they learn to appreaciate the work of the Poptropica creators and to be more patient if they cannot receive something immediately. Ultimately, this is an important life skill that is not taught on Club Penguin.

After that, she claims that Club Penguin gives a better sense of character and identity. I agree, but would like to note that this is not important because Poptropica is not attempting to promote exploration of identity. Instead, it is attempting to act as an educational game that teaches children life skills.

Her final point is that you can make proper friends on Club Penguin. Please cross apply my argument about internet safety here. In addition, note that this is immaterial because Poptropica is not supposed to be a social network like Club Penguin is.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Rebuttal:
"Poptropica is meant to be educational"
I agree that Poptropica is education, but Club Penguin is too! Although Club Penguin is as factual as Poptropica, it teaches kids a lot about money, spending and saving. Most of the things you mentioned, like learning about history and artists; kids will learn in school anyway! Not that many schools educate students about money and spending; so if kids are going to play an educational game- shouldn't it be one that doesn't only teach things they're going to learn anyway? Also, every year the Coins for Change programme allows kids to give their coins to charity, therefore teaching " human values like kindness, respect, and humility" as you claim Poptropica does.

"Club Penguin only exists to permit its users to have fun"
This isn't true. As I mentioned, it teaches kids a lot about earning, saving and spending money in a safe, friendly atmosphere. It also gets kids thinking logically, as they can take part in field ops and missions. These missions allow kids to get mental stimulation, by logically trying to figure out these puzzles.

"While Poptropica helps teach children how to operate within a society"
This is true, but unless you're breaking Rule 1, you're stating that CP doesn't do this. Club Penguin teaches kids how to operate in society, through communication, earning money, having a job, earning wages and buying items. Learning how to work in society is basically what Club Penguin is about.

"Club Penguin does little to teach children about internet safety"
Before I rebut this point with opinion and reason, I'd like to rebut it with cold hard fact. Club Penguin has won the Web Award for a children's game. One of the major judging points for picking a inner is internet safety, so unless you're saying that the entire Web Award judging system is incorrect, I'm pretty sure you'd change your opinion on this.

"giving away private information on the internet"
Club Penguin in no way allows children to give away any private information to eachother. Typing numbers and writing out the number (one, two, three etc) is not possible, so kids cant give out their phone numbers or addresses. Also, all the names of the states and most cities in the world are banned too, so kids cant even say roughly where they live. The only information you can give out on Club Penguin, is your gender and the country you live in. This is not really considered private info as it's impossible to find someone if all you know is that they are male and live in canada for example. You can't even give out your age.

"I agree, but would like to note that this is not important because Poptropica is not attempting to promote exploration of identity."
Just because the website you're defending isn't doing something doesn't make my claim invalid. After all, the debate is about which game is more stimulating (thats one point) and I have argued that as poptropica doesn't allow you to have much of an identity, it is less stimulating than Club Penguin.

" Poptropica is not supposed to be a social network"
This is why it is a less stimulating game. See my last point.
royalpaladin

Con

I concede. Vote for my opponent.
Posted by royalpaladin 2 years ago
royalpaladin
Another loss . . . I am just going to stick to debating things that I know about from now on.
Posted by Riversidegirl4life 2 years ago
Riversidegirl4life
@Royalpaladin:

Yeah, the idea of this debate is that I will be explaining why Club Penguin is better than Poptropcia, and you will be explaining why it isn't. you dont have to explain why Poptropica is better, just that it is not inferior to Club Penguin!
Posted by 1dustpelt 2 years ago
1dustpelt
Club Penguin is only fun if you are a member
Posted by royalpaladin 2 years ago
royalpaladin
What is my burden, Pro? Do I need to prove that Poptropica is better, or do I have the option of using other types of cases?
Posted by kyro90 2 years ago
kyro90
I remember when I used to Play Club Penguin. Lol, I was practically addicted. Until of course I got bored of it. Then I found Poptropica like 1 week later. Though this was when I was little.
Posted by MasterKage 2 years ago
MasterKage
Uhh...Club Penguin is dreadfully boring.
Posted by buckIPDA 2 years ago
buckIPDA
You know, I may actually accept this later.
Posted by buckIPDA 2 years ago
buckIPDA
Poptropica for life!
Posted by Koopin 2 years ago
Koopin
lol
Posted by Rockylightning 2 years ago
Rockylightning
wtf is this
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 2 years ago
1dustpelt
Riversidegirl4liferoyalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Royal conceded.
Vote Placed by Yep 2 years ago
Yep
Riversidegirl4liferoyalpaladinTied
Vote Placed by vmpire321 2 years ago
vmpire321
Riversidegirl4liferoyalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession... D: