Kylar
Discoverypal

Coaches should not be allowed to yell at their players

Discoverypal has forfeited round #4.
Started: 1/13/2018 Category: Sports

Kylar

Pro

Hey everybody :)!
This is a challenge to anyone who wishes to have a pleasant debate with me.
I believe with all my heart a coach should be forbidden to yell at their players. I find it in poor taste, and embarrassing.
I will develop this in later rounds.
First round=Acceptance.
Good luck!
Discoverypal

Con

As someone who's had coaches that yell a lot, I think they should. Good players are only formed with discipline. You may be thinking "Can't there be another way of disciplining the players?" And yes, there are, but at the same time, getting yelled at pushes the player to their limits and beyond. Reasons a student or player would be getting yelled at is lack of effort, not paying attention and etc. If they were to get yelled it, it would hit them and they'd be like "Oh, I think I need to try harder than what I am doing right now," it's just common sense. It pays off at the end because the coaches smile when they see the player they yelled at doing really good.
Kylar

Pro

I thank you for accepting my debate. I ask voters to keep in mind that the first round was supposed to be acceptance only. However, I am thankful to debate with you :).
Now then, my opening argument is very simple, and I will keep it short since it is late at night here where I am as I write this.
A coach is a coach, yes, it is their job to mentor, and as the name implies, coach their players, and teach them to hone their craft in the respective sport they are playing in.
But, a coach is not one thing, and that is the job of parent. A coach is hired to teach, not assume the role of a parent. It is the job of parents, and parents alone, to yell at their children if they have done something wrong. This is not the place, or the right of a coach to do. In yelling at their players, coaches assume the right of a parent, something that they have no right to do.
If a parent feels their child is in need of correction on a sport, then let them step in, and talk to their child, or yell at them if they see fit. But it is not wise, nor is it right, to let a coach assume this role.
In summary, friend, coaches should not yell at their players for this first reason, they assume the role of a parent in doing so, which is not their right or their place.
Thank you for the debate, friend. I yield the floor back over to you and look forward to your arguments :).
Discoverypal

Con

Yes, you are right. But the parents aren't always there. If the player slacked off all the time, they wouldn't get anywhere. Yes, its not their job to be their parents but it also is their role to take responsibility for the player. If the player gets hurt, coach does the job. 'player feeling down? Coach is right there to cheer them up. Parents are like fans, they aren't allowed on the field, or the sideline. And that's where the coach comes in. Coaches can't afford for the team to be brought down by one player. If they need to help, they will. Coaches aren't robots, they're humans humans like the parents. You practice how you play. And if you're not going to pay attention or do your best, you'll let your whole team down.

Your turn my G.
Kylar

Pro

Good evening. Sorry it took so long to post-back to college life.
Anyways, I support most of your arguments here.
My argument for this round however is simple again-its embarrassing for a coach to yell at their players.
I do not personally feel a coach should do this because it embarrasses the player/s involved. I do not think you want to have the shame of being the one/s that your coach called out, or yelled at full force at practice. If there is a problem with one or more players the coach should take them aside privately and talk to them kindly, as a father-figure. Yes he should speak firmly, but kindly, not yelling at them in front of the entire team.
It will be a lot less embarrassing, and a lot less bad memories of playing for that coach will remain with that player.
Therefore, another reason why coaches should never yell at their players.
Back to you, friend.
Thanks for the debate so far!
Discoverypal

Con

A coach knows their limit. If it's a child on a team, of course they won't tell at them with full force. But if they are in high school and up, God have mercy on them. By that age, you should know whats right or wrong. A coach wouldn't yell at a player for making a mistske. They would tell at the player for making the same mistake over and over. By mistake, I don't mean dropping the ball or missing a goal. I mean not paying attention and not trying your best. Like I said previously.
Kylar

Pro

Good evening :)
I thank you for a compelling, and insightful debate that has been a great learning experience for me. I hope to debate you again sometime this has been fun :).
Time for round 4, how fun this will be.
Okay on the high school and up side, we can agree totally my friend, being as how I am a former curler in high school, I did appreciate it after a while when coaches told me firmly I needed to correct myself in certain areas. A kid will know morals, as you said, right and wrong by high school, and a coach can have a bit more discretion here.
Here is my next argument though, like you said coaches know their limit. However, with regards to what you said regarding age, coaches need to be careful when dealing with younger children, for instance.
A coach should never yell at someone younger than high school age, and here's why.
When a coach, or anyone yells at someone else for that matter, it hurts deeply emotionally, and mentally. In a younger child's case, let's even say 6th grade, they do not fully understand some concepts fully, and even some basic sports principles. They also are still, some of them anyway, are learning to socialize, or relate to authority figures. A coach yelling at them will severely damage these facilities, and their quest to negotiate the authority figures in their lives.
Authority is something kids struggle with, I witnessed it a lot in my high school years as I sat in isolation, and even in elementary school when I wasn't as laid back as I am today.
A coach yelling at a young student can really make things difficult, and will likely cause them to disrespect their coach even more.
If a coach is supposed to be a father-figure of sorts, or even of course, the mentor in the room, why not take the player aside and talk to them one on one, firmly yes, but kindly first, tell them what is going on, say they have told them before, ask why they remain unchanging, and either work with them gently, or talk to their parents. Yelling at them is not the best way to do things in these cases.
Therefore with this argument in mind, I respectfully rest my case for round 4.
Again, thank you my friend for a wonderful debate that has taught me a lot already. I look forward to your content in this round.
Posted by Nd2400 6 months ago
Nd2400
Really... A good coach will yell at their players, just can't yell at them all the time. But once in a while they need to get yell at. Even the best players on a team yell time to time...