Boris
GCT

Coconuts are Evil

GCT

Boris

Pro

Coconuts are surely one of the most evil forces on the planet.

Coconuts kill 150 people every single year and will continue to do so. Whereas just 15 people die each year from shark attacks. Therefore coconuts are ten times more deadly than sharks. My proof is represented here: http://www.straightdope.com....

To deny that coconuts are evil provides a gaping flaw in logic. They taste horrible too.
GCT

Con

An interesting position.

Let start first of all with my opponents source from which he gets the figure of 150 deaths per year. The entire article is actually a news piece on how this figure has been plucked from thin air and has no actual data support. The ariticle concludes with the following sentence,

"Conclusion: Somebody pulled the figure about 150 deaths due to coconuts out of thin air. Take that, shark lovers"

Coconuts are one of the most evil forces: I assume my opponent is refering to the amount of people they kill. (or as I showed before actually dont kill) Here is a list of the top causes of death.

WorldDeaths in millions% of deaths
Ischaemic heart disease7.2512.8%
Stroke and other cerebrovascular disease6.1510.8%
Lower respiratory infections3.466.1%
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease3.285.8%
Diarrhoeal diseases2.464.3%
HIV/AIDS1.783.1%
Trachea, bronchus, lung cancers1.392.4%
Tuberculosis1.342.4%
Diabetes mellitus1.262.2%
Road traffic accidents1.212.1%

Source: http://www.who.int...

As you can see Coconuts do not appear on the list.

BOP was on my opponent to prove cocunuts are one of the most evil forces on the planet and next round no new arguments can be raised. He has failed to do so hence a clear win for CON.

P.S Cocunuts taste nice.
Boris

Pro

Dear Confused One,

You seem to have slightly missed the point, here.

The fact that the figure for how many deaths are caused by coconuts is pulled from thin air is irrelevant, by saying that you have proven that the figure was indeed pulled from a certain source.

You have also mentioned how they are not one of the largest killers in modern society, for other things kill more than them. However I do not think that such a thing means they are harmless. To say that there are larger killers is not to say that coconuts are harmless. It is the equivalent of saying:

"Coconuts kill people but malaria kills more - so coconuts are harmless"

Such a statement is obviously wrong.

Therefore, I propose that we genetically mutate the evil coconut beasts so that they all die of CocoCancer. Agreed?
GCT

Con

Again some very good points raised from my opponent here.

"Coconuts kill people but malaria kills more - so coconuts are harmless": You stated that "Coconuts are surely one of the most evil forces on the planet".

One of the definitions of evil is "Something that is a cause or source of suffering, injury, or destruction" Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

My table clearly shows it is not one of the main causes of suffering/injury/destruction.

I am actually for Genetically Modified foods so we may be able to agree on some level.

Voters: Pro failed to provide any evidence to support his claim. I urge a vote to Con.
Posted by GCT 4 years ago
GCT
I apologise if my grammar appeared substandard in the last round. If voters feel this was the case please award the spelling and grammar point to my opponent.
Posted by Boris 4 years ago
Boris
Con's argument in the final round made little sense at all and I am consequently very upset that grammar can be abused in such a way.
Vote Placed by daytonanerd 4 years ago
daytonanerd
BorisGCTTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was bad in the conduct department. S/G also goes to Con. Pro didn't present one good argument that proved Coconuts are evil, while Con refuted Pro's bad arguments to the best of his abilities. Pro didn't use one source, while con used sources.
Vote Placed by HunterSego 4 years ago
HunterSego
BorisGCTTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro called Con "Confused One" which was unnecessarily rude. I feel that Pro did show that in a way, Coconuts are evil. Source point to Con because Pro misused his source.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
BorisGCTTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter VB
Vote Placed by Sojourner 4 years ago
Sojourner
BorisGCTTied
Reasons for voting decision: The threat of coconuts can not continue to be swept under the rug. Lives depend on the truth getting out. Aruments to Boris for daring to speak out!