AlinaKolesneva
tomhornby

Coeducational schools are better than single-sex ones

tomhornby has forfeited round #3.

AlinaKolesneva

Pro

I think, that coeducational schools are better than single-sex ones, because they provide more ideal "preparation for life". And to prove my point of view, I should say, that only few educators are formally trained to use gender-specific teaching techniques. Students in single-sex classrooms will one day live and work side-by-side with members of the opposite sex. Educating students in single-sex schools limits their opportunity to work cooperatively and co-exist successfully with members of the opposite sex. At least one study found that the higher the percentage
of girls in a co-ed classroom, the better the academic performance for all students (both male and female). In high school, the classrooms with the best academic achievement were consistently those that had a higher percentage of girls.
A higher percentage of girls lowers the amount of classroom disruption and fosters a better relationship between all students and the teacher.
Modern parents see education as learning for life. That means teaching children of different genders to work together just as men and women must work together at university and in the workplace. Mixed schools are much gentler, happier and more inclusive places because they are much less intense emotionally.
tomhornby

Con

Hello there,

I believe single-sex schools are far more effective at providing education than mixed schools. Personally, I went to a single-sex school myself and benefitted enormously from it, but my experience is also backed up by lots of research suggesting that both genders simply have different needs in education.

It's true that one day, both sexes will need to work and cooperate well together in life and the workplace, but attending a single-sex school doesn't mean you won't be able to do this.

The main reason to attend school is for education, especially in subjects that you are passionate about. Half of all mixed schools have no girls doing A-level physics. This can't be because girls just do not like physics. Instead, it's that there is pressure to behave in a "Manly" or "feminine" way at mixed schools, resulting in pupils not taking subjects they want to do so that they conform to this social rule. At a group of single-sex schools, girls are more than twice as likely to take physics than girls nationally, surely you will agree that we can not stop young students from studying subjects they love?

When I was at school, there was plenty of opportunities to socialise with the other sex. Whether it was in school plays, parties, or simply getting the buses and trains on the way home. Single-sex schools don't create a barrier between sexes socially; they just allow both sexes to learn separately as their learning needs are very different.

On your last point, what evidence is there to suggest that mixed schools are more gentle, happy and inclusive? Personally, I think that in mixed schools, some boys behave obnoxiously in front of girls in an attempt to impress them, which certainly wouldn't create a more gentle place.
AlinaKolesneva

Pro

Hello, thank you for your opinion.

I am very glad that the single-sex school has given you a lot. Personally, I went to a mixed school, and I can also say, without a shadow of a doubt, that I benefited a lot from education there.
I agree that boys and girls have different needs, but that does not mean that in a mixed school there is no possibility to study what you like or there is no attention to your needs. I could also study what I like. I did not feel uncomfortable or bad at math or physics.
In mixed classes there is an individual approach to everyone, according to personal preferences and abilities.

Still, I believe that children come to school not only for knowledge, they learn to live in a large team, to establish contact with adults and peers - both girls and boys. This is the social role of the school, which should expand the capabilities of the individual, but education in single-sex schools narrows and impoverishes them.
It's just that when you interact with boys every day, you work in a team, then you get used to and get a good experience. Boys are always happy to help girls, and vice versa, and this brings up good qualities in a person.
Co-ed schools can not prevent a student from choosing the subject he wants. If the child has motivation and desire, he will study what he likes.

There are no worthy studies that would show that education in single-sex schools improves the results of schoolchildren, but there is evidence that gender division strengthens gender stereotypes and legitimizes sexism at the institutional level.

When boys and girls study together, of course, they are faced with differences in characters, but, personally for me, this is not a flaw. Not all girls are careful and diligent, as well as not all boys are naturally flippant, hyperactive, slovenly and prone to rivalry. So children of both sexes just learn to co-exist together.
I find coeducational schools a very happy, gentle, inclusive place, because I have only good memories about study there: the atmosphere on our lessons was respectful and friendly, I got a really well-rounded education, now I feel very confident working with boys, my school helped me to be very open and communicative person.
tomhornby

Con

You may have been comfortable and had the confidence to study what you like despite gender norms, but this just isn't true for the rest of the population. You seem to disregard the study that I presented you when you say, 'If the child has motivation and desire, he will study what he likes.' I will repeat myself that at single-sex schools, girls are more than twice as likely to take physics than girls nationally.

I agree that there is also a social aspect of school which I believe is very important, however, I have to disagree when you say that attending a single-sex school will somehow be detrimental to this. Single-sex schools allow the chance to make very strong friendships with people the same sex as you, which, on average, will last much longer than friendships with the other sex. I'm not saying the members of the opposite sex cannot be friends with each other but merely stating the fact that bonds with the same sex are usually stronger.

There is, in fact, good evidence that single-sex schools also provide better results than mixed-sex schools. In the top 20 independent schools in the UK that achieved the best results at GCSE level, 18 of them are single-sex schools. This is clear evidence that single-sex schools do in fact improve the results that pupils achieve.

You seem to make this broad claim that pupils in single-sex schools are for some reason more sexist that pupils at a mixed school. Do you have any evidence? Probably not. Because single-sex schools don't learn with the other sex, it doesn't mean that they disrespect them and are sexist towards them. As I said in my previous argument, single-sex students still get plenty of time to interact with the other sex, so this claim is not only backed up by no evidence whatsoever but just isn't true.
AlinaKolesneva

Pro

I actually don't disregard your study, but I think, that we should consider success in all subjects, not only concentrate on physics. And moreover, the fact, that girls are more than twice as likely to take physics than girls nationally, doesn't prove to me that co-ed schools fail in providing a good quality of teaching this discipline.
Speaking about socialization, you've said, that single-sex schools have chance for it. Okay. But in co-ed schools there are more possibilities for it. And it seems to be a huge advantage. Co-ed schools have this chance for socialization during educational process, what really matters. And I do not even mean friendship aspect, I speak about cooperation and competition, that stimulates students to work hard and do their best.
About sexist behaviour. Co-ed schools promote the need to get along with each other which can avoid sexism and discrimination in the future. It teaches students that they are equal, have the same right and the opportunity to reach their potential. Studying in a single-sex school, child can start thinking that he/she is more successful, smart than members of the opposite sex, because he/she studies separately.
So..In fact, this debate can last forever :)
I just want to make it clear, that I actually don't see any harm in single-sex schools, but don't see any real overwhelming benefit either. I don't think that anything is to be gained by separating the genders. People in the world are male and female. School is a part of the world. It shouldn't be hiding real-life scenarios, schools should prepare them for these situations by having boys and girls work together in a constructive environment. I think that boys and girls should grow up, interact, and live through similar situations together should become before adulthood. And even though there are differences among the sexes, kid accustomed to those differences and learn to accept them, why should we try to persuade our youth that the sexes are so different that the can't learn together in the same environment?
What better way to explain and introduce these real-life situations than to have kids learn in the same environment and learn the social traits needed to survive in such a competitive world?