number1letterA
oh_so_fast

Coldplay ripped off Joe Satriani's song

Started: 3/10/2009 Category: Arts

number1letterA

Pro

Well I am close to neutral on this subject, but I saw no one else has said anything yet on this site so I figure why not. I will vote pro on this. Anywise I think Coldplay ripped of the song If "I Could Fly" with their "Viva La Vida". Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay for this. Here are my reasons.

1) has the same harmony
2) has the same rhythm
3) this isn't the first time Coldplay has been caught
4) Joe Satriani has a degree in musical theory and knows a lot on the composition of music (and no, money is not an issue for him)
5) In the past the guitarist for Coldplay has sighted Satch as an influence

I would also like to note that Joe claimed that he called on several occasions before about the subject before it got out to the point of suing but Coldplay ignored him.
oh_so_fast

Con

there are better thing to debate about!
number1letterA

Pro

You're right like Chuck Norris vs Bruce Lee or Spiderman vs The Hulk arguments (sarcasm). Despite the fact that there is a category for art and I'm pretty sure music would fall under that category. I'm sure a debate over an actual lawsuit that is happening right now is more important than a fictional battle against superhero's, because we all know Bruce Lee would win and so would the Hulk.
oh_so_fast

Con

lol yeah man i was just saying stuff!
number1letterA

Pro

I see. so I guess all I got now to say is vote Pro.
oh_so_fast

Con

oh_so_fast forfeited this round.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Listen to the songs closely. I agree in that the beats are similar, however, a number of factors are present. For one, Coldplay have a far more up beat sound, whereas Satriani's is far lower. Coldplays song cycles through one collection beats during the verses, then raises it in between, and raises for the chorus, and so on. Satriani's has no singing, so they are harder to judge, but Satriani's include pauses alot. The similiarity lies in the drums of Satrianis and the guitar of Coldplays. The drums don't change key, whereas the guitar does. If I find some free time, I would be happy to debate this with number1letterA.
Posted by leethal 7 years ago
leethal
Wow, I hadn't heard of this lawsuit or even the song controversy. Just youtubed them both and would have to agree 100%. Satch FTW!
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Ps. Coldplay is guilty, as charged.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
I LOVE JOE SATRIANI. Yep.