ConnorMc
Wallstreetatheist

College Football is better than NFL football

Wallstreetatheist
Started: 11/25/2012 Category: Sports

ConnorMc

Pro

College Football is something that a solid amount of Americans enjoy on a Saturday afternoon. The same goes with NFL football on Sunday. The difference between the two, is the passion of the fans.

For me, an Iowa Hawkeyes and Notre Dame fan, I enjoy watching these teams a little more than I do watching my favorite NFL team, the Chicago Bears. Now, don't get me wrong I adore the NFL, but there is something about college football that makes it better

College Football has a much different feeling than NFL football. It is something a lot of Americans can get into because they may have attended the school they love. For me I like the Iowa Hawkeyes because my father attended that school and my entire family is from Iowa, they also root for them as well. My point is that it is easier to like a college football team rather than an NFL team because you can say that you attended the school. I myself can say that about the college I will be attending in 2 years. The passion of college football beats the passion of the NFL.
Wallstreetatheist

Con

I will be arguing that NFL (National Football League) Football is better than College Football (Division I, II, III). [1]

Contention 1: Athletic Superiority

NFL players are faster, stronger, bigger, more agile, more technically gifted, and possess more game knowledge and experience than their college football counterparts. Unlike college football, NFL football is solely focused on just that: football. There are no longer distractions that college campuses distract student-athletes with and no exams that require studying. NFL players live, work, and play for the game itself. "Most NFL players are bigger than college football players, and this is because they have more time to dedicate to working out. They have trainers and doctors and other professionals on call to help them perfect their minds, bodies, and performance. Additionally, NFL players have access to gyms, other facilities, and products as most college football players do, however more resources go into this for a professional team than most college football teams." [2]

Contention 2: College Football Should Be Banned

College Football, unlike professional football played in the NFL, takes place on university campuses. The primary purpose of university and college campuses is to educate students, not to host football programs, but sadly the emphasis points toward the latter. The net effect of these football programs is to actually decrease funding for other university programs, distract students from their studies, to raise tuition costs, and to contort the meaning of higher education into a worship of football, rather than a preparing of students with knowledge and connections to get them ready for the 21st century American job market and doing high-level research to progress the human species. [4] University-age students are in a highly formative and cognitively demanding point in their lives, yet the emphasis lies in them going out onto the field every saturday to get their heads smashed in, dramatically increasing their chances of developing chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a brain condition that leads to early deaths. [3]

Rebuttals

Most of Pro's arguments are sentimental and emotional rather than factual or logical.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...;
[2] http://www.hogmonster.com...;
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[4] http://online.wsj.com...;
ConnorMc

Pro

ConnorMc forfeited this round.
Wallstreetatheist

Con

Expanded Rebuttal

"For me, an Iowa Hawkeyes and Notre Dame fan, I enjoy watching these teams a little more than I do watching my favorite NFL team, the Chicago Bears. Now, don't get me wrong I adore the NFL, but there is something about college football that makes it better."

This debate should involve more than Pro's opinion on the subject. It should include some quotes, statistics, facts, sources, and arguments that establish his side of the debate, but sadly his case is lacking in these elements. If I grant Pro's point that his slight enjoyment advantage for college footbal makes college football better, we could glean a more comprehensive and statistically accurate response if we used poll numbers of a larger sample size spread across the United States of America. When we delve into the poll numbers, it is clear that the result is that Americans overwhelmingly prefer watching NFL football (62%) to college football (38%). [1] Also, when looking at the distributional map for these polling numbers, it is important to note that the states without professional football teams (e.g. West Virginia, Idaho, Oregon) are MUCH more likely to prefer college football (which exists in those states) to professional football in the NFL (which does not exist in those states). [2]

"College Football has a much different feeling than NFL football. It is something a lot of Americans can get into because they may have attended the school they love."

Today, 30.4 percent of Americans have a bachelors degree. [3] That means that you are limiting this criterion to less than 1/3 of the United States that "can get into" college football, because they've attended schools with football programs. Many of those degrees were granted at institutions without college football programs. And even people who have attended universities or colleges with football programs, some of the football programs are notoriously bad, Division II, or Division III, which are really not even worth watching unless they compete for a national or regional title. The reason why NFL football wins this point is because it is something everyone can enjoy whether or not they went to college. Educational achievement is not a limiting factor in NFL football enjoyment or game-day spirit as set up by Pro.

"For me I like the Iowa Hawkeyes because my father attended that school and my entire family is from Iowa, they also root for them as well."

Iowa also lacks a professional football team, so you are in the statistical minority of people with a higher propensity to root for a college football over a professional team, due to satisfying this condition.

"My point is that it is easier to like a college football team rather than an NFL team because you can say that you attended the school. I myself can say that about the college I will be attending in 2 years. The passion of college football beats the passion of the NFL."

Again, less than 1/3 of Americans attain bachelor's degrees, and the proportion of Americans who attended schools with good football programs (or football programs at all) is much lower. That's why, for example, I don't cheer for NYU's football team; they don't have one. College is an institution for learning, not a distraction center for worshipping a sports team, which diverts its funds from productive and promising research to encouraging brain disorders in football collisions.

[1] http://www.theatlanticcities.com...
[2] http://cdn.theatlanticcities.com...
[3] http://www.census.gov...;
ConnorMc

Pro

ConnorMc forfeited this round.
Wallstreetatheist

Con

Extend my arguments like the protruding eyeballs of Giles Corey.

I urge you to vote a Con ballot in this debate.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
Dammit, the debating period closed right before I was about to re-re-counter =p
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
ConnorMcWallstreetatheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Re-counter.
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
ConnorMcWallstreetatheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter.
Vote Placed by emj32 4 years ago
emj32
ConnorMcWallstreetatheistTied