IDebate99
TheRealGod

College Kids Have Too Much Privacy

IDebate99

IDebate99

Con

How would you feel if you are a parent and you received a phone call from your daughter’s roommate telling you that your daughter has dropped out of college 2 years ago and you never knew about it? Wouldn’t you blame the college for not informing you that your daughter has dropped out of college? A parent received a phone call from her daughter’s roommate telling her that she should know that her daughter did not graduated from college, the mother was shocked because her daughter told her before that she was just skipping the ceremony, but in fact, she was not just skipping ceremony, she did not attend any of her classes for the past 2 years. Most parents in this situation would blame the college for not informing them that their children dropped out of college because they think their children are still not mature enough to make good choices. Students can not take all of the responsibility, they did not ask for it. Parents have the right to know if their child is suffering. Parents should have an access to their children’s college informations or at least be informed about how their children are doing in college.

Congress should remove the law FERPA so parents could check their children’s records. Students are not mature enough to make good choices, as Dan Caldwell, a political science professor at Pepperdine said "... I can't let the parents know, nor can I let them know their son or daughter may be getting a 'D.' It seems funny because if they are 17, I can." Every year, over 1.2 million students drop out of high school in the United States alone. I agree with the professor’s point of view because students do not change a lot in 1 year, going from 17 years old to 18 years old does not change you a lot, it just give you more power, and most importantly, all responsibility. Students can not take all the responsibility, they never asked for responsibility. They were happy, they did what they could and got motivations from their parents to improve their grades at school. FERPA leaves you all alone when you go to college, you get no motivations from anyone, no one tells you to go do what you have to do to make your life better. Parents have the right to know if their child is suffering. They are family, not strangers, I agree with Herb Pardes, former dean of the faculty of medicine at Columbia when he said. "It's another not to alert parents when a school may know about the potential downfall of a child. It's not even so much about the money; it's about these are the people who most care about that young person, and they have the right to know if he or she is suffering." Students won’t just go tell their parents that they are doing bad in college, they are going to feel that it is their responsibilities, the idea of responsibilities that FERPA created in these young people’s minds is that you do everything on your own, so if they think they can not do it, they just drop out. So parents deserve to know if their child is suffering from college, they could help him because they are the closest in his or her life. Removing the law FERPA will improve the college completion statistics. It will reduce the number of students who drop out, and make their life better and easier.

TheRealGod

Pro

Stop trying to coddle kids, raise them to be independent before they are 18, if students act like kids and hide things from their parents, there's a reason why, some people have a hard time talking to their parents because of repercussions. Some students don't even want to go to their school or be in their field of study but they can't escape their parents grasp. Hell some people get shun from their parents decisions.
Posted by IDebate99 1 year ago
IDebate99
yes indeed.
Posted by 10au192 1 year ago
10au192
I mean, it may help completion. but if students would rather commit suicide than tell their parents they need help, this sounds more like a home issue than an academic one. I'm not arguing that parents should have any access to patient records, as long as the student give consent. I mean, having a discussion about giving permission to release records would be a great way to "break the ice" so to speak. and then a conversation about continue on how parents can help or encourage utilizing resources are the university.
Posted by IDebate99 1 year ago
IDebate99
Sorry about the 2 comments, I thought I can delete after I post, this is my first debate.
Posted by IDebate99 1 year ago
IDebate99
If the parents knew how their children are doing in college, the college completion statistics will improve. Some students actually suicide for being "unsuccessful" so giving away some of their privacy will help them.
The idea wasn't just parents looking into their children's grades.
Posted by IDebate99 1 year ago
IDebate99
The idea wasn't just parents looking into their children grade book.
Posted by 10au192 1 year ago
10au192
as long the student gives consent. If the parents are paying for the education, I see more of a reason they would want to see the grades. but it should be with the student's consent.
Posted by TheRealGod 1 year ago
TheRealGod
The guy is trying to argue after 18 parents should be able to see kids records in college upon request
Posted by 10au192 1 year ago
10au192
Universities have financial, course, and psychological counseling that helps direct students or flag them if they may be a potential danger to themselves or others. So there are resources to which students can use, and the University and the respective departments try to do well and advertise to make sure that such resources are available.

I can't quite pinpoint what your exact argument is. Students use the college experience to become more autonomous and responsible. Unless the parents are paying for the education, I don't see what is so restrictive of FERPA. Parents have some access to records until the age of 18, after that, responsibility and consent to disclose is transferred to the student.
Vote Placed by Luxray2854 1 year ago
Luxray2854
IDebate99TheRealGodTied
Reasons for voting decision: Although I don't like how Con started off the debate with a heavily hypothetical situation, they managed to bring the debate back, mainly through their strong usage of sources. Pro, in my opinion, offered no real argument, and I would classify it simply as "advice". He also had no sources or quotes to back himself up, therefore he loses that part. Overall, good debate my friends :)