Samuelstinger91
Yoyo

College, Parents, and Pressure

Samuelstinger91

Pro

This is a somewhat lax debate. I do not expect long extensive arguments, and my opponent shouldn't either from me. The only way this will get long and extensive is if we get really into it and find length in arguments necessary.

The Resolved: Parents shouldn't pressure their children to go to College.

I thank whoever my opponent is for accepting.

First round acceptance.
Yoyo

Con

Note to all: My first time at debating. Go easy on me. I accepted this challenge on the basis of it not getting into a long and extensive argument. Thank you for not having such high expectations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reason for going against the resolve:

- College can give you a better chance in the future.

If you consider the view of the parents, then it is not at all hard to see why this reason stands. I'm not saying that going to college would secure your future, because that would be lying. Many people today graduate from college and cannot find a job.
However, college certainly can help you in acquiring more life skills and opening up more opportunities. You'll be meeting more people, some of whom you may remain in contact with for life, whether it is out of friendship or mutual interests.
Furthermore, college will help you to learn about more things that you did not know before, therefore helping to widen your horizons. Like they say, knowledge will never weigh you down.
And anyways, why else do you think that most governments make education compulsory for under 16s? It proves that there must be something good in learning.

I won't bother posting more reasons for now, as I realized I have already said too much.
Hope to hear from the Pro side soon.
Samuelstinger91

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting. Since I said first round acceptance, I will be honorable and not attack my opponent's cases this round and give him a fair turn.

Now, onto my case.

1. Their is already too much stress
If the kids are already thinking about college, they don't need the extra pressure. When I decided to go to college, I was already stressed out. I didn't need the extra stress! Parent's basically just put more salt in the pie than needed, making the pie disgusting and unwanted. Plus, when teen's think about college, remember, they are still teens. Teenage life is full of stress, and the extra stress is not needed.

2. America is Land of the FREE
This is my biggest point. Teenagers should have the CHOICE. Their parents shouldn't be pressuring them into it. When a teen is really debating college, they are practically 18. They are old enough to make their own choice. They don't need their parents to come in and still make choices for them. They don't need anyone else to wipe the dribble of their mouths. They can do it themselves.

Yoyo

Con

NOTE: Sorry. Didn't see the 'first round acceptance' bit until after the post. And by the way, it's her. Also, I will refer to my opponent in second person terms, hope you won't mind.

Counter-arguments

1. There is already too much stress

Your basic idea: Parents shouldn't pressure teenagers when they are already stressed
My argument: Maybe you should think of it in another way. Empathise and think of it from your parents' point of view. They care about you, they love you to the depth and breadth that their souls could reach. They have raised you for 18 years without asking for anything significant in return, except for your respect and your well-being.

So is it really too much to ask, for you to listen to them on something that would be beneficial to you?
They are not going to make a decision for you if they didn't think that it would do you good. Maybe you feel that you are already stressed, but they must be stressed too. Their child is facing the biggest decision in their life so far, and of course they'd want to make it perfect so that their child would not regret it one day. All they want to do is to share some of your troubles and help you so that you won't feel so stressed anymore.

2. America is the land of the FREE

(Although I have some disagreement over the subtitle, I will save it for another argument.)

Your basic idea: 18 year-olds are old enough to make their own decisions.
My argument: It depends on who you are. Some teenagers are mature enough to make their own decisions, some certainly aren't. I speak as a teenager who is currently deciding whether to go to 6th Form or get a job. Most of my classmates, including myself, have doubts and concerns on what to do. This is when we would turn to our parents for advice, because in the end, they are the ones who knows us best. When they try to make you go to college, they are NOT trying to restrict your freedom, or make you suffer through endless years of education. You say that you are old enough to make decisions, and indeed you might be, but your parents have much more experience in life than you. If it came down to it, they are more qualified than you at make the right choices.
And I totally agree with you on the fact that 18 years-olds "don't need anyone else to wipe the dribble of their mouths", but decisions like college are much more important than wiping dribble. You would not want to look back to this one day and regret the fact that you didn't listen to your parents.
Moreover, some people are not so mature. There has been many crimes committed by young adults due to ignorance or lack of care, and no matter what the reasons were behind their actions, they still committed a crime. There will be no turning back from the moment that they decide, and they will probably regret it for the rest of their lives, probably somewhere in prison. Still think that all 18 year-olds are totally qualified for making important decisions?
Furthermore, maybe you think that you shouldn't be treated like a child anymore, but in your parents' eyes, that's exactly what you are. And that's exactly what you will be for the rest of your life. So maybe just listen to what they have to say and consider their reasons.

The argument below is copied from the first round, since I didn't see the 1st round acceptance sign...

Con Argument:

College can give you a better chance in the future

Sorry if I wrote too much. Bear with me. Thank you.
Samuelstinger91

Pro

Wow, I really don't want to debate right now. I got too much goin' on! Nontheless, I will do whatever I must to win.

I thank my opponent for his good arguments. I really liked the way how when he attacked my case, he didn't do it in a rude or agressive way, but a very respective way. I thank him for that.

First, I take the defensive.

1. Basic attack: Our parent's love us and know what we should do, and we should see from their point of view.
I can see where you're coming from, but a lot of people come from bad backrounds with their parents; such as verbal abuse, physical abuse, neglection, or even sexual abuse. Also, a parent and a child think very differently. Not many parents will completely agree with their child's decision on what they want to be. Many parents (including my own) want their children to be doctors or lawyers, but that sadly isn't the dream job for a lot of teenagers. Parents think they know what's best for their teen or young adult, but they are old enough to make their own decisions. They don't need someone breathing down their neck about what they should be. They shouldn't have to change who they are or what they want to be to please their parents.

2. Basic Attack: Not all teenagers know about what to do for college.
While this is true, parents aren't the option you should seek first. Guidance councelers get paid to do exactly that, help you decide what you want to do with your life. They are literally professionals at this, and they should be the first option, rather than your parents.

Now, ATTAAAAAAAAACK!!!!

1. Basic Idea: College helps you.
I apoligize to my opponent, but this seemed like an argument for how college is good, not about parents. I was rather confused, but I would like my opponent to clarify how this is relevant so that I can give him a fair and decent argument next round. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you
Yoyo

Con

Yoyo forfeited this round.
Samuelstinger91

Pro

Sadly, my opponent's round was but a forfeit: nothing more, nothing less. I am rather sad my opponent did not show an argument. I was finally having a good debate.
Yoyo

Con

Yoyo forfeited this round.