Lookingatissues
Kryptic

College, Why bother..

Lookingatissues

Pro

Haven't these institutions of higher learning now turned into indoctrination centers of "Politically correctness" indoctrination Centers ran by leftist radicals.. Ward Churchill,Bill Ayers,note..."William Ayers sees his work on college campuses as carrying on his radicalism in a new sphere."
The "well rounded individual"for that is the end purpose of an education, who goes to these educational institutions it would seem is now more qualified to Party-hardy, than they are in any way, qualified to be leaders of the country.
Education's whole objective now seems to be to denigrate America and especially the White race, and European History and to promote other ethnic races.
If the "Dumbing down," of America is the objective of America's institutions of higher learning then, and only then, should Colleges and Universities be allowed to claim that they have achieved their promised goals. "Do the colleges and Universities still retain the same value to individuals that they once provided, Thats the question, I believe the answer is "College, Why bother.."
Kryptic

Con

"College, Why bother..."
First off, I would like to get some truths down pat. In university or college, where the end result is a degree whether a diploma, bachelor, masters or PHD.
The reasons for going is because of an education, what you're being taught on the other hand depends on how well or badly the subject in question is in the area of taboo or not. It depends on how much relevance the teachings has on the impact on the country. I know in china, north korea and heavily extreme Islamic followers will all brainwash their students to do what they want them to.

But when being taught a subject like theology and biology (my two fields). there is structure and order. There is no political views when doing these two subjects in particular. Even when doing tech work, my father is a computer technician and he is quite good. If he was taught single minded clutter, he wouldn't be very good.

I think a big issue is we are assuming people aren't questioning and just absorbing, that is the opposite of what we are taught in science. We are taught to stand up and question, to attack the opposition with logic and reason, to show faults in their defence.

I have gained a lot more insight since I have started my courses and for the better, I am a lot stronger in who I am, I am a lot more grounded and understanding seeing the evidence or at least reason from two different sides.
I have become humble and decided to express who I am in different ways, I have become more aware of the afflictions that hinder my life or life style.

College or university is a different experience for different people, I have no doubt that some people can get warped world views from taking something too intensely.
But we wouldn't have scientific literacy if it wasn't for college, say goodbye to your TV. Einsteins general relativity helped with that, you wouldn't have many things that you do today.

College is a good thing.
Lookingatissues

Pro

Lookingattheissues response...may31St. 2015
LOOKINGATTHEISSUES REPLY TO The Contender...Kryptic...Con (against ON DEBATE.org... .June 1St. 2015
You replied in your rebuttal,"The reasons for going is because of an education, what you're being taught on the other hand depends on how well or badly the subject in question is in the area of taboo or not.( It depends on how much relevance the teachings has on the impact on the country.) I know in china, north korea and heavily extreme Islamic followers will all brainwash their students to do what they want them to.
I will disect your statements in my rebuttal with the objective of bostering my given opinions on the subject posted, " COLLEGE, WHY BOTHER..."
( A ) . you posted, "..... It depends on how much relevance the teachings has on the impact on the country....."
"...the impact on the country...."
The young students who will be America's future leaders are being educated/indoctrinated stealthy, by professors, and teachers who are, for the most part, leftists who vote for the leftist controlled democrat party. The material used for instructing these young impressionable students in these educational institutions that is developed and used by members of the teaching profession are, on the whole, leftist democrats too.
I can't imagine a more easily indoctrinated group of individuals than a captured group of young impressionable students under a person who has the capability to determine the outcome of their endeavors, whether they succeed or fail while in an educational institution for lengthy periods of their lives.
This lengthy indoctrination period that students go through and experience while in Educational institutions has the same effects as what often happens when people are captured and imprisoned by an enemy, described as capture-bonding,... a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, The Helsinki Syndrone.
( B) you posted,".) I know in china, north korea and heavily extreme Islamic followers will all brainwash their students to do what they want them to.
The leftist instructors in America's educational institutions have as their philosophy the same philosophies and objectives as Hitler did, he said,"When an opponent declares, 'I will not come over to your side,' I say calmly, 'Your child....the youth..... belongs to us already. What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing but this new community...."
(C) you commented,"But we wouldn't have scientific literacy if it wasn't for college, say goodbye to your TV. Einsteins general relativity helped with that, you wouldn't have many things that you do today.
College is a good thing." Educational institutions were at one time in America's past, centers of learning from which the country and its citizens were the beneficiaries but since the 1960s radicals have taken over these educational institutions
The National Association of Scholars has done a study of what has happened to University Education..over a period of eighty years.
The College Board is a mission-driven not-for-profit organization that connects students to college success and opportunity.
Founded in 1900, the College Board was created to expand access to higher education. Today, the membership association is made up of over 6,000 of the world"s leading educational institutions and is dedicated to promoting excellence and equity in education.
In its later days, the College Board has decided that its "mission" is not to advance standards but to assist students, and it has gone so far as to project back to 1900 the idea that its role was to "expand access....."
"....In recent years, the College Board has taken numerous steps, large and small, meant to "expand access," even if it means " lowering standards." A short list of such steps involving the College Board"s most famous test, the SAT, includes:
"Recentering" the scale to boost the scores of mediocre students and crowd the best-performing students into a meaningless corner Allowing students who have learning disabilities to take tests under non-standard conditions and, later, removing from the transcripts any indication of this..." In other words, The "dumbing down," of America's students to accomplish " Political correctness, "not new discovery, not new leaders nor new discoveries, but a new low where all are equally unprepared to benefit society in any way.
Kryptic

Con

"The young students who will be America's future leaders are being educated/indoctrinated stealthy, by professors, and teachers who are, for the most part, leftists who vote for the leftist controlled democrat party. The material used for instructing these young impressionable students in these educational institutions that is developed and used by members of the teaching profession are, on the whole, leftist democrats too."

I don't want to be that guy, but can you show me something for this? To at least show me why you think this way? Where I'm from, people in political influence don't need degrees to get into their position, they just need to be cunning and persistent.

"I can't imagine a more easily indoctrinated group of individuals than a captured group of young impressionable students under a person who has the capability to determine the outcome of their endeavors, whether they succeed or fail while in an educational institution for lengthy periods of their lives."

So who then? who will educate the kids? by the way, I am a biology major and NONE of my teachers are either aloud to talk about their religious or political affiliation or bother to do so, they are their to teach biology. same goes for tech classes, other math classes, I'm not sure what genre of 'college' kid you're referring to here.

"The leftist instructors in America's educational institutions have as their philosophy the same philosophies and objectives as Hitler did, he said,"When an opponent declares, 'I will not come over to your side,' I say calmly, 'Your child....the youth..... belongs to us already. What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing but this new community....""

The more I read this the more I feel you think this is some kind of huge conspiracy.

" Educational institutions were at one time in America's past, centers of learning from which the country and its citizens were the beneficiaries but since the 1960s radicals have taken over these educational institutions
The National Association of Scholars has done a study of what has happened to University Education..over a period of eighty years."
Cool, where's the paper?

Basically, what I see here is you are saying 'teachers are making students do it their way', you don't agree with their way and are presuming they are either put up to it or are ignorant. You have just said college at least in the past was a good thing and are just presuming it's not now due to fascists on the net.

I am in college and have never experienced this, I also find college students to be the most proud and arrogant people when it comes to world views, they would challenge the teacher DAILY about why they're right.
Lookingatissues

Pro

Lookingatissues forfeited this round.
Kryptic

Con

Default win via forfeit I guess. :/