Jesusfreak012095
Nails

College football playoff system

Con Tied Pro
Started: 12/21/2009 Category: Sports

Jesusfreak012095

Con

Ok, if you are a fan of college football, then yall all know that there is a big debate over the BCS. Me, I am for the BCS and against a playoff season. I against the playoff system for numerous reasons. One, it is hard enough on the players, the already play 10-14 games a season (depending on the factor of bowl eligibility and if your conference has a championship game, and if you make it there). I will admit I am a Bama fan. Don't come back with the argument that I like the BCS because it favors Alabama because it is a big time school. Yes, they play in the SEC (arguably the hardest conference to go undefeated in, Florida proved that), but, Alabama's last National Title game was in 1992, the BCS wasn't created until 1998. TCU, Cincinnati, they had their chances at the Title game, but they didn't control their own destiny. Bama and Texas both won out, in the two hardest conferences in most peoples eyes. So yall cant say that the BCS favors Bama, it doesn't. In fact the two polls that factor into it, Coaches and USA Today, both have the majority of their voters from the North. Which in fact, most people in the North hate Alabama, I'm not saying everyone from the North, just the sportswriters and a lot of the fans. So with that said, I am against playoffs.
Nails

Pro

I contend that playoffs are superior to the BCS because playoffs can be brought through the Green Glass Door.[1]

I will allow CON to elaborate on his argument (provided there isn't excess discussion of 'Bama) and provide further arguments in support of playoffs in round 2.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Jesusfreak012095

Con

I understand there are many arguments that the Pro contenders can make, but what I have to back this up, I feel is much better than theirs.
Now I am using a Bama player in this point because I know a lot about him. Mark Ingram is on the Deans list to graduate early. If you asked him how hard it was to do that he would probably say something around the matters of immensely, for my life in football and academics, collide heavily.
Players have have class in the mornings, and practice in the afternoon, in the evening, which they get about a few hours at the most, depending on the time they will go to sleep that night. Will go to the Library to catch up on school work, then other nights will go to the weight room for workouts. While in other nights they will read over the Playbook so they will know what to do during their upcoming game.
Yes, the way they work out their evening schedule is up to them, some Athletic Associations require a minimum amount of days to read over the playbook, and got to the Library. The NCAA requires a player to have a minimum GPA of 2.0. If you pay close attention to the players who focus on only football, they will end up not able to play under NCAA sanctions. The players that level it out have an average of a 2.8 GPA, but their skills and decision making on the field don't match up to others. The players that focus only on school, which is not a bad thing, have an average of 3.5-4.0 GPA, but lack skills in almost every category.
In that case, I am for a 10-14 game season. Save the playoffs for the NFL.
Nails

Pro

My opponent seems to value football LESS than education. He can't be serious, can he?

Let's consider the two.

========
=education=
========

1. These kids don't want an education.

Only 56% of college football players graduate.[1] Many take classes like music appreciation, basket weaving, or flower design, so that they won't have to actually do any work. The majority even view them selves as athletes first and foremost, and students second.[2]

2. The ones that want education still get education.

Football is not a hindrance because athletes are provided with extra help from teachers[3] and, covertly, students.

3. Football is beneficial to the athlete's education.

Football teaches cooperation, social skills, the ability to take instruction, the ability to cope with stress, and optimism.[4]
Sports also prepare one physically, and promote the maintenance of good health.

=======
=Football=
=======

Lots of people like college football.[5][6][7]
How many people like watching former athletes earn a subpar salary with their degree in liberal arts? Not many.
Nobody cares about these athletes' education; they care about watching them play football.

Football is a far higher priority, because those degrees that are being gained are useless anyway.

Don't forget, playing football is optional. If for some crazy reason one of these players doesn't actually want to play, he can quit playing. Having extra games harms nobody.

---

Thus, I advocate a triple-elimination 256 team bracketed playoff to determine the national college champion.

[1] http://www.newamerica.net...
[2] http://www.mindingthecampus.com...
[3] http://www.classesandcareers.com...
[4] http://www.ehow.com...
[5] http://www.helium.com...
[6] http://www.harrisinteractive.com...
[7] http://www.denverpost.com...
Jesusfreak012095

Con

As a fan, I do not prefer education over football.
As you say, a triple-elimination 256 team playoff system would be way to long, longer then the NFL complete season playoffs and regular season combined. If you truly want the players to succeed, you would not put them through that long of a season, for if they played that many games, they would retire long before the average age now of 34.
Plus, education is very important, they must think of the factor of: "what if I don't get drafted? What will I do then?"
I love college football, but not enough to see players get hurt because they are put through to long of a season. By that I mean do not put them through a triple-elimination 256 team playoff. That would be to long and to many players would get hurt, and ruin their chances to go to the NFL.
Nails

Pro

--"As you say, a triple-elimination 256 team playoff system would be way to long"
I never said that. A triple-elimination 256 team playoff would be just long enough.

--"if they played that many games, they would retire long before the average age now of 34"
So we continue to have young, fresh players. This is a good thing.

--"education is very important"
To quote my opponent: "I do not prefer education over football."
He also drops all 3 of my arguments about education.

--"That would be to long and to many players would get hurt, and ruin their chances to go to the NFL."
The average college football player spends about 45 hours per week practicing[1] to play for, at most, one hour per game. The extra hours spent in the playoffs would amount to about 2 days worth of practice. This is no significant increase in the probability of a player being hurt.

========
=Summary=
========

CON never rebutted any of my arguments, gave multiple new (unwarranted) arguments in the final rebuttal, and never even used the word 'BCS' in his last speech.

[1] http://www.mindingthecampus.com...
Posted by cwalke3408 5 years ago
cwalke3408
i could of debated for the BCS way better this guy.
this that could had been brought up
1. the bowl games are tradition
2.college football is arguing be the most excited leagues of all sports
3.having a playoff who cause even more controvery on who get the playoffs like college basketball
4.a playoff system takes a long time
5.the BCS is a way better system than before
Posted by jayme 7 years ago
jayme
I think a playoff system would be awful.

There would be MORE injuries, and a longer season.
Why is a longer season bad? Football players do have lives. They're college students, they're not getting paid for this.

I'm an Oklahoma fan, and as much as it hurts me to see Texas as #2, they deserve it. I like the rankings, because they take things into consideration. Sure, teams are sometimes overrated, but also, Division 1 schools who play no-name colleges have no business in the top 25 just because they have a good record.
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
I never understood why there isn't a playoff system, TBH
Posted by Jesusfreak012095 7 years ago
Jesusfreak012095
In fact it does, but I like it better than a playoff system, therefore I like the BCS.
Posted by knick-knack 7 years ago
knick-knack
the BCS sucks
Vote Placed by Jesusfreak012095 7 years ago
Jesusfreak012095
Jesusfreak012095NailsTied
Vote Placed by CrusaderDebater 7 years ago
CrusaderDebater
Jesusfreak012095NailsTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
Jesusfreak012095NailsTied
Vote Placed by asiansixpack 7 years ago
asiansixpack
Jesusfreak012095NailsTied