hpmedia
Yesi_kitty

College is a Necessity to be Successful

Yesi_kitty

hpmedia

Con

College should not be your time to figure out what you're good at, it should not be your time to establish what you're passionate about. If you don't know what you want to do for the rest of your life, how is wasting 4 years and THOUSANDS of dollars helping you? There is no harm in taking a gap year.
Also, if you know what career you would like to pursue and it doesn't 100% require a degree (i.e. doctor, lawyer, teacher, etc.), why would you waste your money on one?
College is, in my opinion, the most costly & stupid "trial-run" you could ever go through. And the crazy thing is, is that there IS NO GUARANTEE OF ANYTHING AFTER YOU GRADUATE. ESPECIALLY if you have a butt-load of student loans.
Yesi_kitty

Pro

I have done my own research for this topic and what i found is that According to Money college planning "half of graduates say the education was worth the cost. "According to Wall Street Journal,"Paying for college never is easy, but it"s easier than most people think. Yet some politicians and pundits say students can"t afford a college education. That"s wrong. Most of them can." Yes you do pay a lot of money but about or more then half of the college graduates believe that going to college was very much worth it. We all want to earn a lot of money to provide ourselves with needs and wants, well being a college graduate can increase your chances of getting a better paying job which would provide you more chances of getting some of your wants.
hpmedia

Con

Having a degree doesn't open as many doors as people think it does. Many employers who post job openings are now saying "this *blank* degree required or equivalent experience."
For example, I am currently running my own media business and I often take clients downtown in our city for photo shoots. It just so happens that there is a college campus located downtown, and I often run into many photography majors on assignments when I'm on shoots. Several have come up to me on the job and asked "are you doing the assignment for professor so-and-so," or "do you go here?" and I have to reply "nope, I'm actually working..." I'm the same age as they are, I'm passionate about the same things are they are, but I'm MAKING money instead of SPENDING it. There are so many careers you don't need degrees or any form of certification for, you just have to have the perseverance and will to gain the experience and master your craft.
One of my biggest pet peeves is when I ask a high school senior what they want to do, and they reply with, "I don't know, but I'm going to school for business because that's a safe fall-back." How is wasting you time and money "safe?" If college was 100% free of charge, then shoot, go for it. Or if you or your parents can pay for it out of pocket with no problem, then be my guest. But if you're taking out student loans on a credential that you may not actually need, then I'd say you're being reckless, not safe.
Plus, college can always come later! If you've really tried to do your own thing for a couple of years and found you can't get anywhere you want to be without a degree, then guess what? You can still go get that degree. There is no harm in taking a gap year, in fact it has proven to be extremely beneficial to kids who have no idea what they want to do.
Yesi_kitty

Pro

You might think that you are making loads of money, but you are not making as much as a college graduete would have made.Many people go to college for many reasons,but most people go because they want to make a difference in their lives.They have more opportunities in life than someone who didn't go to college.Isn't going to college better than having a poor paying job at a fast food restaurant?
hpmedia

Con

hpmedia forfeited this round.
Yesi_kitty

Pro

The value of a college education is very important. There are a lot of people who believe that you don't have to attend college. Your employment options are extended as a college graduate. As a college graduate you make more money and have a better job. High school graduates should attend college because it increases chances of getting a job and you can earn more money.

Attending college after graduating from high school should be a priority. It isn't a bad thing if you attend college. In fact I believe it will help you in the future. You have a high chance of getting your dream job and getting jobs easier. According to "Actually, College is Very Much Worth It" by Andrew J. Rotherham "College graduates earn more, and are more likely to have a job in the first place-- and is especially important for some americans." College graduates make more money than high school graduates. They also have higher employment rates.
Posted by Yesi_kitty 1 year ago
Yesi_kitty
Did you quit on me?
Posted by Yesi_kitty 1 year ago
Yesi_kitty
I have an argument about that as well.
Posted by zombie_orchestra 1 year ago
zombie_orchestra
Bill Gates. Debate settled. :P
Vote Placed by Cooldudebro 1 year ago
Cooldudebro
hpmediaYesi_kittyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture. Pro's arguments made her stance clearer and more effective than Con. Pro demonstrated how college was needed while Con failed to do so.