Kellison
DylanGafarian

College is better than high school.

DylanGafarian

Kellison

Pro

College is a better than high school because of the freedom you have in college. High school is a glorified jail. You are trapped inside all day. College you are allowed to make your own schedule and choose all your own classes. High school you are told what classes you must take and in what time slot you must take it. College also allows you to escape the town you reside in. Some people go away to college. This is even better because you see more of the world. College is a better experience than high school in all ways.
DylanGafarian

Con

A very interesting arguement indeed. As much as I am enjoying College, I beleive high school was a better time for most. To jump right into your argument, lets begin with "glorified jail". Have you ever been to jail... do you know what it's like? I myself have not been and I find it a bit of an exaggeration to draw the similarities between jail and High School. Also I believe it is far easier to have someone tell me what classes to take rather than messing it up myself. A problem I have been having at this current time of registration is that i fear of taking wrong classes or classes that will not go towards my major or minor.
Kellison

Pro

Well first going to jail is irrelevant, I just compared it because your inside and you're told exactly what to do. You having a problem with the registration here at SJC then you must be a child still missing high school. The registration here at SJC is so easy and they still baby you. Suffolk Community College has a better registrar all around. You are given more freedom in the classes you pick and the fact that you do not need approval from some person who doesn't even know you.
DylanGafarian

Con

If you want to talk about relevance, I find it very easy to say that your entire argument was completely irrelevant. Suffolk Community College has no business being apart of this argument, nor does any other college for that matter. To touch on an earlier statement, in high school you are still given the freedom of choosing your own classes. But once more I will agree on something you said, approval from a person. You are given an adviser and I would have to agree that I do not enjoy going to an adviser have them say yes to my classes. But again I do like the fact that they can keep you on track for graduation. They help you decide what classes would be best for you. And to say you don't know that person is odd because a system set up by the college is that you are given adviser that you work with for the next four years. You learn to know who they are and form a relationship with them, making it an all around easier process.
Kellison

Pro

How is it that, Suffolk Community is irrelevant? That is a college correct? And I am discussing how college is better than high school. So wouldn't't I use the two colleges I been to as first-hand accounts? College allows you to choose an area of specific study, whereas high everyone must study the same things. You do not really have a say is your class selection in high except for maybe the two extra-curricular classes you may take. Or if you chose to take the BOCES route then you would have actual career training.
Not everyone has the same adviser for all four years of college. Many students like myself cannot afford the four private school so they take the cheaper route and go to community college then their prestigious private college. Students that do attend the same college for all four years still may not have the same adviser because of multiple reasons. Majors change, conflict of issues, or even the person retires just to name a few. So now say all those things happen to you. Now you must switch your adviser three times in four years. So you meet with this person twice a year, for about ten minutes each time. So that is 20 minutes per year that you have to see this person. You are supposed to build this great report with them? Not everyone has those social skills to do so.
DylanGafarian

Con

Yes, both schools being discussed are colleges. But our debate is merely, college is better than high school. You're qualifying your support with support based on individual institutions. It is completely fine to use personal experience, because that is simply what our debate is based on. I believe,and do correct me if I'm wrong, that we are not debating institution to institution or in this case SJC to SCCC. Your support, in reference to the adviser, proves my point of efficiency. At college it is very difficult to keep the same adviser and meet your adviser,you also prove what a hassle it is to get classes approved and what pressures are put on you from switching majors, conflicts and issues. In high school you are given a guidance councilor, here he or she will advise you on what they think would put you in the best position for college. Here although you may not believe it if you're grades are good enough you can go into many different types of classes such as, College level courses, different types of histories and sciences. I also believe that in high school you are given a fair opportunity to be apart of many different things. Where college many things occur at the same time. In high school you can play numerous sports, be apart of several clubs, and have time for extra helps.
Yes college is the time of newly found independence's, but some miss the security, especially when it comes to academics. In college you rarely are offered the option of extra help. High school teachers were required to have extra help.
Kellison

Pro

Kellison forfeited this round.
DylanGafarian

Con

Hope all is well. Shall we continue?
Kellison

Pro

Kellison forfeited this round.
DylanGafarian

Con

Well from the lack of response I'll take it that this debate is over. It was truly a good time. I shall leave you with just a few parting words. High school is a better time for all. College is a level of education that is not for many, as well as a hole in your wallet. High school was a safer time where you took what was given to and you complained... High school allows time for people to grow and mature and unfortunately many in college have yet to mature. As I complete my freshman year of college I can say I enjoyed myself, but I can't help but picture where I would be if I were still in high school. Thank you for your time of this debate.
Best of luck in your college career.
Vote Placed by Maggie37 5 years ago
Maggie37
KellisonDylanGafarianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con finished the debate....thats it =)