maperez
BangBang-Coconut

Color guard should be considered a sport

BangBang-Coconut
Started: 2/28/2011 Category: Sports

maperez

Pro

Most people that I know and are in in band or color guard say that isn't a sport. But I think it is. All of my high school career, I was involved in color guard. It requires you to push yourself physically and mentally. For those who do not know what color guard is, it is where you have dancing and equipment all put together to music. The equipment that you spin is a flag saber and rifle. Most people think anyone can do that. I dare you to try. There is so much technique involved and athleticism required. It is a group of people who perform and tell a story together. Everyone has to move as if where one person. I know it may not have an offense or defense but it is a very competitive sport. WGI (Winter Guard International) is an organization in which guards and drum lines compete in. It is an international division guards as far as china come to compete in WGI. I am no longer a performer but I am an instructor and teach it to students. It would just do so much justice if it was officially know as sport.
Here is an example of a guard:

They are 9 time consecutive world class champs in WGI I believe.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

First of all I thank my opponent for initiating this debate.

So going to the meat and potatoes of this debate, I disagree with he statement, that "Color Guard is a sport"

First of, I apologize in advance if I seem to be a bit scatter brained in my explanation; I will no be taking a traditional point by point stance in my constructive arguments, but instead will simply explain my stance, and apply clash to mty opponent as I deem appropriate. I will happily clarify any discrepancies or misunderstandings either in my next speech, (if my opponent so desires) or in the comments section (also at my opponent's; or even the voter's requests)

So no going onto the stance I will take, The Color Guard is not a sport, but an activity.

A sport, is competitive activity between two individuals, or two teams in which there is a definitive winner or loser, (meaning that you could possibly consider Chess, or a Debate a sport but no the Color guard)

Now my opponent would have you believe that because it is difficult to do, or because it requires some level of athletic prowess, that is is a sport. but that's not necessarily true.
for instance, performing a surgical operation is extremely difficult, and not everybody can do that. but that doesn't make it a sport.

And Weightlifting (not power-lifting, or any competitive variation of the such) is an activity that an athlete may do to prepare them for their sport; but it in and of itself is not a sport just because it requires athletic ability

And finally there really is no winner or loser when the Color Guard ends. Unlike say Football, or Soccer, there is no way to either determine clash, or even measure clash.

so in closing, Color Guard- whether they are a member of a scout organization, the Military, or even a High School Band. they perform an important and special activity that deserves respect and admiration; it is not however a sport.

I look forward to a wonderful debate!
maperez

Pro

I will first start this round by asking you questions:
Have you ever been to a guard competition?
Do you know anyone who had done guard?

The definition of a sport goes as follows:
1. competitive physical activity: an individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally ( often used in the plural )

Is color guard a competitive physical activity?
Yes it is there are many competitions. Now there may not be a definite loser but that is because so many groups that compete. For sure the winner does get prestige just as if they had won a super bowl. Color guard is a group activity that is very physical and full of athleticism.

My opponent said that color guard requires SOME level of athletic prowess and that is not true. If in color guard you must have to skill and athleticism, if you don't you will not succeed and not become the winner.

Because it is not considered a sport not much respect and admiration is given to it, so it needs to be to get the respect and admiration it deserves.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

Before going on to my own extensions, and making some further clash, I will answer my opponent's questions.

No, I have never been to a color guard competition (which by the way is a competition not a sport)
No, I cannot say I know any-on who has done color guard (Although I would be lying if I said I asked every-person I've ever met such a question.)

I have also offered a definition for the term sport, to which my opponent has not called any attention to; nor has he given any reason why we need an alternative definition. please don't look to this definition unless he can provide some reason why we need to look to it, definition debates just waste time.

I also feel the need that my opponent offered no clash with the Con stance, but instead opted to attempt clash by quoting a part of my previous argumentation that furthered his stance none. I did not deny that Color Guard did not take athletic skill and prowess.

That still does not make it a sport.

so in conclusion, I ask you all to consider this; What is a sport, and what is an activity?

if they are one and the same then athletes' passions' are only but a hobby. it is no longer something special, no longer something unique. but just another phrase to list on one's face-book.

Again I leave with this, Color Guard- whether they are a member of a scout organization, the Military, or even a High School Band. they perform an important and special activity that deserves respect and admiration; it is not however a sport.
maperez

Pro

If a anything has the qualifications of a certain word than that is exactly what it is. Guard just happens to fall under the definition of a sport.

If my opponent says that color guard deserves respect and admiration, but is calling it an activity, then my opponent is contradicting himself. Calling it an activity is completely disrespecting color guard. Color guard is full of athletes and passion, but because it has passion does not make it a hobby.

I am not saying that everything should be considered a sport. Color is something very unique and different which may be why people disagree but if people were to closely look at it and possibly try it then maybe my opponent and others will realize that it deserves to be called a sport. Calling color guard an activity does so much injustice to color guard, which is exactly why it needs to be officially named a sport.

How would you feel if something you treasured and had passion for was named what it isn't? It would wouldn't be fair to deny what it is simply because people aren't familiar with it? It isn't fair or even right to do such a thing.

I enjoyed having this debate with my opponent. I look forward for more in the future. :)
BangBang-Coconut

Con

I thank my opponent for their response.

so now that I am on my final speech, it will be short and sweet. You've read the prior of this debate so I will not waste your time attempting to re-iterate every inch of my stance (you are not idiots). Instead I will cover a few key points that I see as important.

first, my opponent has still provided absolutely no clash with my own logic. they claims that calling the color guard an activity is disrespectful; but give you no warrant to believe this. Color guard is a highly respectable activity; but it is not a sport. It is indeed an activity.

Second, we must look and see the nature of a sport and analyze the differences while color guard may be competitive, it is not a sport. the judging is not based on direct clash in opposing competitions of skill, but of judging these color teams one on one and determining who this the best (and keep in mind this is only competitive color guard, the military also has a color guard and they are not competitive) if you chose to follow my opponent's line of logic, then you would also have to consider a pie contest a sport, or a car show, or a science fair.

Just because something is an activity does not make it a sport;
And just because something is competitive does not make it a sport;
The Color Guard is not a sport.

My opponent has proven that we ought to respect the Color guard (something I never disagreed with in the first place) so we have no reason to believe it is. and so for this reason alone you cannot vote for the Pro, instead vote Con.

I thank you all for reading this debate; and my opponent for having it with me.
Posted by Mayonaise_14 9 months ago
Mayonaise_14
What about golf? As I was reading these arguments, I was thinking, golf is a sport. More than two teams compete. As a matter of fact, EVERYONE IS SOLO! Not every sport is face-to-face, but they are all recognized as sports by many. What makes this any different?
Posted by Stained_Brain 3 years ago
Stained_Brain
So, if Gymnastics is considered a sport, then so is Color Guard. Gymnastics is an Olympic event, and considered a sport. Ergo, Color Guard also fits the same criteria - team competition (broken up into individuals on the team), that compete against other teams. Just because you don't have an equal one-on-one face off, or a team-on-team face off, doesn't mean it isn't a sport. There is physical skill necessary to accomplish the routine. If you can pick up a flag, saber, or rifle, and perform without practice, then I can see your argument. However you can't. You must practice it. Hone your skill. You could also make the argument that Rifle Shooting is not a sport, for similar reasons to the CON section of this debate. However, Rifle Shooting IS an Olympic event, and is considered a sport. Bowling is also a sport. Race car driving is a sport.
Posted by jacobhardy25 5 years ago
jacobhardy25
http://www.dci.org...

even though this is drum corps its like the same. so i think color guard fits in all the definitions described in the essay.
Posted by Jallen289 6 years ago
Jallen289
I was surprised when I saw that you were 24 years old, man. Seems a little immature to be floating around the website looking for something to insult. I think your much younger, maybe 16 or so.

Either way, grow up, get a job and then you'll appreciate hard work. :)
Posted by KikoSanchez182 6 years ago
KikoSanchez182
In order for something to be a sport, people outside of it actually have to care about it and enjoy watching it. Therefore, this is tautologically not a sport.
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
I'm not familiar with color guard; sounds as much like a sport as synchronised swimming to me.
Vote Placed by CiRrK 6 years ago
CiRrK
maperezBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: I buy more to the definition of sport as a definitive win based on two opposing sides, due to the analysis about pie eating contests, etc. Thus, cons arguments link to this analysis better.
Vote Placed by Scyrone 6 years ago
Scyrone
maperezBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agreed with CON before the debate. After the debate, I agreed with nobody. The conduct was pretty much the same, but PRO did have better spelling and grammar. And PRO had the only source for color guard. As for the arguments, nobody was more convincing. I think both sides lacked the objective of a debate. A debate is meant to prove your opponent wrong and you right by attacking his or her points. Ideologically, this debate was perfect. But argumentatively it made less sense.
Vote Placed by TUF 6 years ago
TUF
maperezBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Better structured arguments, were more fluent and, and made better attempts at arguing.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
maperezBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro could not refute the argument of direct competition.
Vote Placed by Rinexe 6 years ago
Rinexe
maperezBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: What won the argument here was the Pro's definition. Even in Hello-Orange's definition, Color Guard is still a sport. In a competition, there would be a DEFINITE winner, and it can be engaged in professionally. Thus, Color Guard is a sport.