FeatherintheWind
theitalianstallion

Colors of Stairway

theitalianstallion
Started: 11/26/2008 Category: Arts

FeatherintheWind

Pro

This will be short and sweet 2 round 12 hour voting time debate that I will win. Stairway is best represented by the color green. Green symbolizes hope, and Stairway to Heaven is a song of hope(as introduced by Robert Plant, The Song Remains the Same.)And also, people with certain disabilities such as an alteration in their sense recipticals, or some form of retardations can see colors when they hear a song. I do have these alterations and a few retardations, and as as the flute comes in, the song shifts from its silver gray colors of a forest mist, to a green best represented by a gnome standing on a forest floor, looking up past the green canopy to heaven. Oh and gray is a color of neutrality and stoicness. So if your bored when you hear Stairway, you probably see the colour/color of gray/grey.soon
theitalianstallion

Con

First, I would like to thank my opponent for creating this debate and wish him the best of luck.

Next, I want to clear up for the audience what this debate is on, which was not clearly stated by my opponent. The question submitted is whether the color green or gray best represents the song "Stairway to Heaven." I will argue in favor of gray as it seems my opponent as already staked a claim on green.

My opponent speaks of the retardation, or gift, Synesthesia (which he fails to mention by name so I wonder if he truly has it) as a reason why he thinks green best represents "Stairway to Heaven." He claims that he sees green when the three wooden bass recorders (not flutes) enter into the mix, and this could be true for him but that doesn't mean everyone with Synesthesia sees green. No two cases are alike but can be similar. Another problem I have with his argument is that the type of Synesthesia he speaks of is not affect by the instruments being played, as it seems he is saying, but the pitch of the sound. This means that the colors would constantly be changing as the pitch goes up and down as it does it "Stairway to Heaven."

As for the gnome in the forest, that is not related to Synesthesia in anyway.
•Could be deeper psychiatric problems
•Or to active of an imagination

Pro also states that gray is a color of neutrality or stoicism, which I do not deny. But then he continues, claiming that this automatically means you are bored with the music if you think of gray during it.

-Neutrality-being neither negative nor positive on a given issue
•No mention or boredom anywhere
•"Stairway to Heaven" takes no side, just tells a story

-Stoicism-showing neither pain nor emotion
•Not showing emotion doesn't mean you're bored; you could be dieing on the inside

Gray-lighter than black, darker than white

Gray best represents "Stairway to Heaven" because it represents maturity and intellect, it is timeless and solid.

-Maturity-full development; perfected condition

Maturity is a good way of describing "Stairway to Heaven" because this song truly shows Led Zeppelin at their best, the summit of their success, their attempt at perfection.

-Intellect-the ability to think abstractly or profoundly

"Stairway to Heaven" shows just how intellectually gifted the band members were and are. A song had never been written like this; a slow, methodical crescendo all the way into the solo, and having no chorus was also fairly new.

Timeless and Solid

"Stairway to Heaven" is a timeless piece of art; still the most requested song on FM radio and the highest grossing song of all time ($500 million and counting). Solid is also a good representation of "Stairway to Heaven." Well written, moving lyrics, a balance piece, a solid work of art.

Also, my opponent mentions that green is a symbol of hope. I do not agree with this because I have looked through close to a dozen pages on color symbolism and not one has the meaning of green as hope.

Again, I thank my opponent for this debate and wish him the best of luck.

P.S. Vote CON!!!
FeatherintheWind

Pro

Hey Itallionstallion,
Drop Dead. No I'm kidding. I would also like to clear some things up. This debate was meant as a joke. And no the synesthesia reference was a joke, I do not have synesthesia. But in a response to the incoherent response that horsey made, I will attempt to clear a few things up. I typed this debate very fast so I did make a few mistakes, and I admit that its not actually a flute in stairway and the instruments are recorders. But in the case of our argument, its irrelevant. Most instrumentalists are aware that the two sounds(recorders and flutes)they make are very similiar, but recorders tend to have a higher pitch. At the pitches that the melody on the recorders are played, its easy to confuse the two, as the sounds are so similar, and I would like to note that recorders are actually a specific type of flute( the most popular flute is also another type of flute, they both belong to the family of woodwind instruments called fipple flute) . So its very likely that someone with synesthesia would see the same color anyway. Also, horsey makes a claim that the type of synesthesia I mention is affected only by pitch, but this is untrue. Many people who have synesthesia associate one sound to any note or melody that can be made on a given instrument ( so they will always associate purple with an electric guitar, or blue for piano, not depending on what pitches are played) I also stated that as soon as the flutes(recorders) enter (14 seconds into the song) that the song turns green, implying that the type of instrument is what the colors I see depend on.

So as far as the synesthesia argument is concerned, I offered all the solid facts. I would like to note that synesthesia does vary from patient to patient, so that is opinion

Next, I would like to discuss an aspect that is not opinionated, in an attempt to win this debate. Associating colors with songs or sounds does not have only have to deal with synesthesia( as I cleary stated in my opening statement). It could depend on symbolism or metaphors. So you could look at the lyrics, but there are so many different opinions about what it actually means, Im just going to base my argument solely on what Robert Plant said the song meant, which was that the song is about a Lady who thinks she can get everything she wants( far from being mature, irrelevant to the matter of intelligence). He also states that the song is a song of hope( while introducing the song on the film "the song remains the same".) There are variations of what color is symbolized by what emotions, but the majority of them can agree green represents hope.

So this debate is entirely opionated when it comes to what colors people see, but when it comes down to the facts, Stairway is a song of hope, which is best represented by the color green. Thanks to my oppenent for a very professional rebuttal, and let the best man win. Vote pro. Goodbye
theitalianstallion

Con

Again, thank you FeatherintheWind for creating this debate.

First, when I corrected PRO on the flute comment, I meant it as a joke; I did not want a paragraph explaining why PRO was confused between the two. Also, the paragraph was not needed being that the recorders and flute are irrelevant to the debate.

I'm not sure what my opponent meant by "So its very likely that someone with synesthesia would see the same color anyway." But I think PRO is trying to say something about the flute and the recorder having the same pitch and therefore people with Synesthesia will see the same color. That is true, if the two instruments are played at the same pitch, a person with Synesthesia would see the same colors but the two instruments could play at different pitches making my opponent's argument Null and Void.

Later in the paragraph, Pro contradicts himself saying that when the recorder comes into the song you see green, therefore implying he has Synesthesia, and therefore contradicting his earlier statement of "I do not have synesthesia."

My opponent's next two sentences confuse me. You say that Synesthesia is opinionated and I do not understand what you could possibly mean by that, but okay.

In response to my opponent's maturity remarks I say…

What I meant was not about the lyrics themselves, it was about where the band was at that period of time when "Stairway to Heaven" was written. "Stairway to Heaven" was like their coming of age, the peak of their performance, Led Zeppelin reaching maturity.

Also, about the intellect remarks; I again was referring to the band not necessarily the song.

-Intellect-(new definition) capacity for thinking and acquiring knowledge

Furthermore, you could go on to say that intellect has another part to play in describing "Stairway to Heaven." The lady who is described throughout the song as self-centered, greedy, and ignorant, then towards the end she learns she cannot buy her way into Heaven and must work for it. This fits perfectly with the definition of intellect and therefore fits perfectly into my argument; the color gray best represents "Stairway to Heaven."

My opponent states that "There are variations of what color is symbolized by what emotions, but the majority of them can agree green represents hope." Really? Because I can't find one that does.

http://www.color-wheel-pro.com...
http://www.squidoo.com...
http://desktoppub.about.com...
http://www.infoplease.com...

None of the above listed mention "Hope" when describing what green can symbolize.

Just as FeatherintheWind said, "may the best man win." Vote CON.

Thank you for your time.
Posted by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
Not really; I just responded to the things you brought to light on this page.
Posted by FeatherintheWind 8 years ago
FeatherintheWind
your doing the same thing. goodbye
theitalianstallion
Oh and just to make it clear, the sources you posted count for nothing, as they were not included in the actual debate.
theitalianstallion
Why do you insist on debating outside of the debate? It seems childish and you must be somewhat insecure about your arguements.
Posted by FeatherintheWind 8 years ago
FeatherintheWind
Because of all the green in nature the color is reminiscent of Spring. Spring is known as the season of hope
taken from your third source, desktop publishing. ItallionStallion noted that two of my sources (wiki) are invaluable. I would like to note that you can post something to wiki if you are a member, but if it isnt right it is removed in two weeks. My information has been up there for a good while now, because ive researched symbolism in the past. He also uses desktop publishing, a website about interior design and paint colors. My websites are actually sites that were made for the topic of symbolism. so the score is now 3-1, me
Posted by FeatherintheWind 8 years ago
FeatherintheWind
"in heraldry, green indicates growth and hope"
http://www.color-wheel-pro.com...
Green -- Love, joy, abundance, hope
http://www.squidoo.com......
Sorry Bro, I dont know why you didnt see those
Posted by FeatherintheWind 8 years ago
FeatherintheWind
Dear Itallion Stallion, if you really want to keep score and say that half of my sources are invaluable, I can say the exact same thing about you. If you notice, your first two websites are two of the websites on my list. This is because wether you found it or not when you were skimming the surface, they both list green as a color of hope.
theitalianstallion
Feather, not that it matters but I looked into the websites you sited on the comments page; not very reliable sources.

One is wiki answers, so the answer you got could be from a 5 year old.

Another is wikipedia, a little more reliable than wiki answers but not by much.

The last is a forum. Need I say more?

Oh and since your keeping score that's 4-3, me.
Posted by FeatherintheWind 8 years ago
FeatherintheWind
dear kr founier, if your including what was said in the comments section, you should have also noted that I listed six websites that say green represents hope. Stairway is a song of hope. case closed, oh and both of us said vote for us, I just had to say it in the comments because there were no more rounds
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
Conduct - Con - Pro bid for votes in the comments section after the debate.

Spelling and Grammar - Tie - Both sides were readable.

Convincing Argument - Con - Pro's burden of proof was that green was the best color to represent Stairway to Heaven. Pro's argument hinged primarily on green being the color of hope, which Con adequately refuted. Futhermore, Con offered several reasons why gray could be an adequate color to represent Stairway. Con proved the matter to be subjective.

Reliable Sources - Con - Con offered resources refuting Pro's claim that green represents hope.
Vote Placed by Labrat228 8 years ago
Labrat228
FeatherintheWindtheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by DeadLeaves93 8 years ago
DeadLeaves93
FeatherintheWindtheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
FeatherintheWindtheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
FeatherintheWindtheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by DrumBum1234 8 years ago
DrumBum1234
FeatherintheWindtheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by FeatherintheWind 8 years ago
FeatherintheWind
FeatherintheWindtheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by VoodooChild 8 years ago
VoodooChild
FeatherintheWindtheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
FeatherintheWindtheitalianstallionTied