Lojicz
Awed

Comedy central shouldn't have censored Mohammed's appearance in southpark's season 14's episode 201

Awed

Lojicz

Pro

Comedy central has gone to ridiculous length's in censoring episode 201. Not only have they censored Mohammed's appearance, they have also censored every mention of his name.It is ridiculous.What ever happened to freedom of speech?
Awed

Con

Thanks, PRO, for beginning this debate.

In South Park's 201st episode [1], Prophet Muhammad's name and other parts were censored. There has been much controversy, but I believe that Comedy Central made the right decision. Jon Stewart has stated that South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker's lives were in danger, and censoring the episode was a way of protecting their lives [2]. The website RevolutionMuslim.com had written an article threatening violence towards the two creators for showing the Prophet Muhammad in a bear suit during episode 200. The author of the article, Abu Talhah Al-Amrikee, had stated that "We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show. This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them." [3] The article contained a reference to Theo Van Gogh [4], who was shot and stabbed to death for simply making a film about Muslim women.

In conclusion, it is obvious that the censorship of certain parts in episode 201 was necessary to protect the safety of the South Park creators. Vote CON

[1] http://bit.ly...
[2] http://www.chicagotribune.com...
[3] http://www.nbcnewyork.com...
[4] http://bit.ly...
Lojicz

Pro

Your welcome.
I understand and completely agree that it was censored to protect its creators, but I have issue with the amount of censoring that took place in the episode and not the reasons for the censorship.

In south park season 5 episode 4(Original Air Date: Jul 4, 2001) "the super best friends" there is a depiction of Muhammad which had been aired without any censorship.

Since 2009 this episode cannot be streamed online.

I am not bothered that they censored muhammed's image cause it is offensive to Muslims but by the amount of censorship involved in the episode.

Kyle,Jesus & Santa's speeches were completely censored despite the fact Kyle's speech had no reference to muhammed.Even mohammed's name was censored, which was about 23 times.So much censoring takes the fun out of the show.

It is true Comedy Central is a business and has right of refusal; but this is not going to win them anything but the disdain of their viewers and if they didn't want to air the show like it was, they should have refused the entire thing.
Like kyle says"either everything is ok, or none of it is".

http://www.southparkstudios.com...
http://www.southparkstudios.com...
Awed

Con

The reason for not only the censorship of Prophet Muhammad's name but the censorship of others was not only for the safety of the creators, but it was part of the intended humor of the episode. The creators based their show off of the fact that after a Danish newspaper published some cartoons depicting Muhammad in 2005, many others were scared of showing any image of Muhammad [1]. Shortly after this incident, protesters set fire to a Danish Embassy in Syria [2]. Because of this, Muhammad wasn't used in any more cartoons due to fear.

The episodes 200 and 201 were based around the fact that Prophet Muhammad couldn't be made fun of, and because of this the main goal of the celebrities South Park made fun of and the Gingers was to capture Muhammad, hook him up to a machine, and then extract his "power" to not be made fun of. This is shown when after Tom Cruise successfully takes away Muhammad's powers, his image is also censored.

I have shown that Muhammad's appearence being censored was not only for the safety of the creators, but also because it was part of the humor of the episode, thus negating the resolution. Vote CON

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.spiegel.de...
Lojicz

Pro

I am disappointed by the fact that you did not bother reading my post or follow the links I provided in round 2. If you had, you would have realized a few things.

1. Kyle's speech had nothing to do with Muhammad and it was censored by Comedy Central. It wasn't decided by Trey and Matt. In fact they clearly state it wasn't a joke on their part.
2.It removes the fun from the show when even Muhammad's name was censored which by the way was done by Comedy Central not Trey and Matt.
3.In episode 1004 Cartoon wars 2 Trey and Matt intended Muhammed not to be Censored. It was done by comedy central. And lets not forget this episode aired on 12th April 2006 just 1 year 10 days after the problems faced due to the cartoon in Syria.
http://volokh.com... (link from the news section of April 2006 on South Park's official site)

Tom Cruise threatened not to promote Mission Impossible 3 (produced by Paramount Pictures) if Scientology was made fun of in South park.Viacom which owns Paramount and Comedy Central got the episode pulled.
http://www.foxnews.com...

This shows,

1. This is not the first time Comedy Central has Cowered to fear and it really does not help the freedom of speech.
2. They aren't against belittling of religion,as they showed Buddha doing coke & Jesus watching porn.

Parker and Stone had addressed the potential impact of the depiction of Muhammad in an interview with the Boing Boing website last week, with Parker saying: "We'd be so hypocritical against our own message, our own thoughts, if we said, 'OK, well let's not make fun of them because they won't hurt us.'"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcbJTo7sYFw

These guys have fought the problems faced in todays society.They wanted Muhammed shown so it should have.
Why give specialty to one religion? Cowering to threats is as good as helping terrorists.
The guys clearly had the guts so maybe C.Central should have shown a little more spine.
Vote Pro
Awed

Con

I don't believe my opponent understands where I'm coming from. The resolution states, "Comedy central shouldn't have censored Mohammed's appearance in southpark's season 14's episode 201."

My opponent doesn't specifically address the resolution, but he instead brings up irrelevant arguments.

The fact is, in episode 201 [1] the subplot with the censorship of Muhammad's image was intentional, as I have shown in the second round. Again, the Muhammad subplot of episode 201 specifically played on the fact that the character Muhammad was "protected" and could not be made fun of. When Tom Cruise successfully takes Muhammad's power, his image is also covered up with a black rectangle that says, "Censored." This is identical to how the image of Muhammad is censored.

Taking away the censorship of Muhammad's image in episode 201 would take away from the humor of the episode.

My opponent has not shown how the censorship of Muhammad's image was not the intentions of the creators and I have proven that the censorship of his image was necessary for the humor of the episode, this negating the resolution and proving that Comedy Central should have indeed censored Muhammad's image in South Park season 14 episode 201.

For these reasons, I urge a CON vote.

[1] http://bit.ly...
Posted by tBoonePickens 6 years ago
tBoonePickens
What is wrong about making fun of a thieving, lying, murdering, pedophile?
Posted by Awed 6 years ago
Awed
@Marauder

Yes/no. Bringing new arguments later in a debate is also just something that's worked well for me when I did PF debate so I'm used to it.
Posted by jesse0 6 years ago
jesse0
Equal treatment for all imaginary people.
Posted by philosphical 6 years ago
philosphical
love this episode
Posted by Marauder 6 years ago
Marauder
did you run out of characters in round one?
Posted by Awed 6 years ago
Awed
Marauder, I was planning to use that argument in round 2 :)
Posted by Awed 6 years ago
Awed
Posted by Marauder 6 years ago
Marauder
I'm suprised no-one argues the point that the censorship is part of the humor in the show. that muhamad is so untuchable that he must be censord and that tom cruise wants this awsome power. The fact that they recevied death threats proves the point of the joke. in fact they went to such extreams to milk that running joke that they censored all of what Kyle Jesus and Santa said at the end of the episode, cause its funny. Its not that they are censoring there speech its that the censorship is there speech.
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
Yea, the numbers are tiny, like less than 1%. They make the rest of us look bad though regardless. >=(
Posted by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
///I'm just saying. I don't like that they chose to depict Muhammad, but I still won't go giving death threats. Besides, if I don't like it I won't watch it.///

If only the super-duper minority of radical Muslims (seriously, isn't it like less than 1% of all Muslims that are the terrorist type) were like you Insert.
Vote Placed by tBoonePickens 6 years ago
tBoonePickens
LojiczAwedTied
Vote Placed by jesse0 6 years ago
jesse0
LojiczAwedTied
Vote Placed by Marauder 6 years ago
Marauder
LojiczAwedTied
Vote Placed by Awed 6 years ago
Awed
LojiczAwedTied