Mockery
UnopinionatedMoron

Comics Are a Form of Literature

Mockery
Started: 10/31/2013 Category: Arts

Mockery

Pro

I would like to argue that comic books are a form of literature and should be taken more seriously.
UnopinionatedMoron

Con

Cool idea
Mockery

Pro

So are you going to argue against me?
UnopinionatedMoron

Con

Nothing to argue, you have no case proposed.
Mockery

Pro

*sighs*

I posted what i wanted to argue. My case is that comics should be taken more seriously because they can have deep, meaningful stories and complex characters just like any novel. Why did you accept this debate if you weren't going to debate at all?
UnopinionatedMoron

Con

comic books are neither deep nor meaningful, their primary focus is on fueling preteen boys' fantasies and getting them hooked on a series onf images that have rather ridiculous speech bubbles which usually end up inspiring either a perverted cartoon porn video to be made or to make a blockbuster movie that never follows the storyline correctly becaus ethe comic book isn't a form of literature it's a form of non-literate art with subtitles to follow it.
Mockery

Pro

You think I'm only taking about super hero comics aren't you?

I have read many comics that are not based on superheroes and are deep, meaningful and springing. But that doesn't mean superheroes can't be inspiring too. Watchmen is considered one of the greatest comics ever and it also has been considered a great piece of literature as well. ((http://justinjordan.hubpages.com...)) Just because a book has pictures in it doesn't take away it's value as something good. Not only that, but there are many comics that focus on big issues like sexual abuse (The Tale Of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot) or the impact of WWII (Maus by Art Spiegelman)

You also sound a bit sexist and ageist with your statement ' their primary focus is on fueling preteen boys' fantasies.' I'm a woman in her twenties and I read comics. Comics are no longer just for boys and people should stop looking at them like they are just for kids. There are many comic I own that I would not let my nephews read because they are too mature. Not only that but there are some comics more suited towards girls.

As for the whole movie and porn thing, that really isn't important. People take things all the time and make their own adaptations. Why are you singling out comics?

Comic books are a mix of both art and writing. Therefore, they can be great pieces of literature and art.
UnopinionatedMoron

Con

The video is a perfect example of a fantastic piece of art, just as a comic book is.

There are some amazing stories behind comics and the perversion is in deed against the comic creator's intentions.

On the other hand, it isn't a piece of literature.

The writing is minimalistic, never descriptive and always a random exclamation or onomatopoeia.

You could potentially make a comic without any writing at all, just still images and it could still be relatively understood.

Mockery

Pro

While it's true that a writing in comics is sometimes little, that is always true. And yes, there are some comics that have no dialogue and just as good. However, a good comic will have strong art and strong writing. I have ready many comics that are awful because of the writing. The art was good but I couldn't stand the story. You have to put effort into the story as well as the art. If you don't, people won't care.

Literature is defined as is the art of written work. A comic book is art on two fronts; with writing and images. While a comic can lack words, that doesn't mean a comic cannot be considered a piece of literary work.

It's also important to note that there are many criticisms on comics as well and it's not based solely on the art. Linkara, a famous comic book reviewer, focuses both on the art and writing. Sometimes, he focuses more on the writing. The writing can make or break a comic. It's the same with a book. Words can be extremely important when it comes to comic book.
UnopinionatedMoron

Con

UnopinionatedMoron forfeited this round.
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
Pro had the unfortunate luck of running into what I believe was another RM multi (long story, Pro). I would like to note to Pro that the burden of establishing an opening case does fall to you--often the first round is only for acceptance and, unless otherwise noted, there's nothing wrong with simply accepting in R1. You laid out an assertion as to literature, Con ostensibly was waiting for your actual case to begin. I think you were looking for a similar basic statement as to Con's position, but it would have been better to simply launch into your case--you think *you're* right after all, so it shouldn't matter too much what his case is, anyway. Just a suggestion.

As to points:

Conduct (obviously) for the forfeit.

As to arguments: Pro backed up her claims with examples (and I was tempted to give sources for this), while Con backed himself up with nothing but sweeping assertion. Pro rebutted his assertions the first time he made them, using examples, and his response was merely to double-down on the baseless assertions as to the "never descriptive" nature of comics. In addition to being generally untrue, Pro's Maus example successfully rebutted that before it even got started.

It would have been nice to see a good, thoughtful debate on this subject--unfortunately, this was spoiled by Pro's opponent.

I might suggest to Pro that (if she hasn't already) she give Sandman a read, btw. It's a pretty good example of a literary comic. And there's Saga and...well, there's actually rather a lot. (Though, of course, it should be noted that my points are based on the arguments as presented, and not my knowledge of comics in general--had Pro done poorly in this debate she would have lost; she didn't do poorly).

As always, happy to clarify anything in this RFD.
Posted by Catchamp 3 years ago
Catchamp
You cant debate this comic books are now defined as a piece of literature and if you try to deny it you cant
Vote Placed by yay842 3 years ago
yay842
MockeryUnopinionatedMoronTied
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
MockeryUnopinionatedMoronTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
MockeryUnopinionatedMoronTied
Reasons for voting decision: CONDUCT: Con devolved rapidly into insults, against a wide variety of people. ARGUMENT: Pro did not need to make much of a case, when con outright refused to raise his argument above circular reasoning saying it's not literature because it's not literature, without bothering to define any way it was not literature.