flav
voxelsarefun

Committing suicide is not selfish

flav

Pro

Many consider committing suicide a selfish act. It is said to be selfish because someone is choosing an easy way out or trying a permanent solution for a temporary problem, also people who left behind will feel guilty forever. Why giving birth to a child that can grow up and become a miserable or depressed person is not a selfish act? There are so many parents that decide to have a child without considering the obstacles they might face in the future. No one is being asked to come to this world then why anyone should be questioned or labeled as "coward" for leaving this world sooner?
voxelsarefun

Con

Suicide is a selfish act because it leaves the family and friends, the people who loved the victim, to pick up the pieces of their life. People who commit suicide when simply speaking to the people who love you can help save your life, and save them the traumatic experience of losing you. Suicide prevents the people in your life from living without you, and is indeed taking the easy way out. Speaking as a person who has, you can overcome depression. Someone who is considering suicide is certainly a coward because they are unwilling to put in the time and effort to solve their problems and work with the people in their life who love them and want to see them overcome their problems.
flav

Pro

I believe everyone should look for all possible options to improve the situation. In other words I believe there are so many other actions that should be taken before an attempt for suicide. I do not support suicide in any way, and I believe it should be prevented. My argument is about people who easily place a label on suicide as an easy way out or a selfish act. Suicide is sad but not selfish. It is a tragedy but not selfish. It is an unfortunate end to a life but not a selfish one. It is easy to expect people to continue to live in the darkness and misery just because their friends and family do not want to see them gone. How about everyone lower his/her expectations and seek realities instead.
voxelsarefun

Con

voxelsarefun forfeited this round.
flav

Pro

flav forfeited this round.
voxelsarefun

Con

voxelsarefun forfeited this round.
Posted by voxelsarefun 1 year ago
voxelsarefun
Natural death is not the same thing as suicide, and you believing that they are is absurd. I explained that suicide is selfish when your problems can be fixed by simply working with the people who love you. It's selfish to take the easy way out without putting in effort. If you don't believe humans should live for other people, you should at least agree that it's selfish to yourself. You aren't working to save yourself and that is wrong.
Posted by JackOfDiamonds 1 year ago
JackOfDiamonds
By saying that suicide is selfish, you are implying that we don't even have the right to live for ourselves. It implies that we must only live for other people, which is obviously a matter of opinion but not my personal belief. I don't think suicide is any more selfish than anything else humans do. When a family member dies naturally, the rest of the family will grieve and have to pick up the pieces too, so does that mean the very fact humans die is selfish too?
Posted by JackOfDiamonds 1 year ago
JackOfDiamonds