Brandon.cooper7800
TheBlueWizard

Common Core Education. Foreign language yes or no

TheBlueWizard

Brandon.cooper7800

Con

The school systems in this day and time require a foreign language class be taken, in most cases for 2 years. I understand how a foreign language could be useful, but to me is a waste of time. A foreign language is something that takes up a class period when you could be doing something that would further help you in the real world.
TheBlueWizard

Pro

I disagree with my opponent. Foreign languages ought to be required in all school in the United States. First I will be providing my own arguments, then I will rebut my opponent.

Pro's Case:

Foreign language ought to be required for all schools in the United States. This is for a variety of reasons, but today I will be focusing on two. Personal, and National concerns.

Contention 1: Personal Benefits

Learning a foreign language can be of massive use to an individual, especially one in the United States. The United States. The US census Bureau conducted a study and found two shocking facts. First, that only 80% of the US population speaks solely English (with 95% stating that they speak English "well" or "very well", although it should be noted that people tend to over estimate themselves), and that roughly 20% of Americans don't speak English in the home, meaning that some other language is their first [1].

What all of this adds up to is that to connect with an entire fifth of the population better, and at least one in twenty at all, one needs to speak another language. Learning another language opens up new shops, friends, professions, and entire communities to a person. As a natural born Southern Californian, I know first hand how useful Spanish is. People talking on the street, in shops, at swap meets, at friends houses, it truly is invaluable.

Taking into account all other languages, this effect extends to people in all of California, Florida, Texas, Pennsylvania, Texas, Michigan, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and any state with a significant cultural minority. Which is all of them.

Contention 2: National Benefits

The United Sates is in trouble education wise. International Bossiness Times reports that the US is now ranked 17th in global education rankings [2]. This is coming from a nation that was once a top contender. This is in no small part due to the fact that the rest of the world needs to know two languages. People across the Netherlands, Germany, South Korea, Japan, Switzerland and Finland all know English, in addition to their native tounges. We can see that to be a competing educational power again, we need to teach other languages.

My previous contention was a great side benefit, but the reality is that when making national policy, national interests have to be kept in mind. These measures keep national interests afloat. Now onto my opponent's case.

Con's Case

Con's case seems to revolve around the "waste of time/real world" argument that is frequent in anti-intellectual, anti-philosophical circles everywhere (not saying my opponent is part of said circles, merely that his arguments are commonly found there). The fact is that, like philosophy, when you learn a language it becomes a part of you. How you operate, how you view things, how you take actions. It is not simply a skill to be learned and then thrown away, it's a part of your life.

Thank you for the debate. I am obliged to ask you vote Pro.

[1] http://www.census.gov...
[2] http://www.ibtimes.com...
Posted by FlopBox 2 years ago
FlopBox
You cannot truly debate on this topic unless you are a student in a public education system witnessing this firsthand. I am. In my now three years of learning Spanish in class I can barely speak a sentence. Do you know why? Because the common core is targeting the wrong area for learning. It focuses on grammar too much and barely any speaking. Not to also mention there is to much translation instead of knowing an object purely by its name in the language being taught. Surly there must be a change because right now there are many students struggling.
Posted by ColeTrain 2 years ago
ColeTrain
Are you saying that foreign language class would be required?
Vote Placed by Emilrose 2 years ago
Emilrose
Brandon.cooper7800TheBlueWizardTied
Reasons for voting decision: In order to meet the BoP, Con would've have benefited from expounding further in round one. Pro outlines an argument [with rebuttals] that highlight the benefits of learning a language and it being a part of the U.S curriculum, with sources in support.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Brandon.cooper7800TheBlueWizardTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave up ton reasons to uphold the resolution and gave sources. Thus he wins the debate.
Vote Placed by That1User 2 years ago
That1User
Brandon.cooper7800TheBlueWizardTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con brought up a decent opening argument, but pro effectively refuted them. I suggest to con to make debates longer than 1 round.