gizmo1650
FormAndTheFormless

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

gizmo1650

Pro

Firstly I would like to thank my opponent for excepting this debate, and thank the genius that came up with this quote, Albert Einstein.
"Your common sense is your natural ability to make good judgments and to behave in a practical and sensible way." Google dictionary (1)

Prejudice-Having an opinion on some one or something before seeing it.

Working with my definitions, which other than minor semantic corrections are to be used throughout the debate.

Looking at the definition of common sense you should notice that all of the terms involved are relative.

Natural ability does not have to mean genetically coded into your brain and in the context means an innate sense.

Good judgments is entirely relative to the opinion of others in your environment. In other words good judgment means doing what your friends and family' or whomever you are with, feels is good. You would innately do this because you have a pre-disposition to doing these things because you grew up with it around you. For example in my family, selling drugs would be considered bad judgement, and it is common sense to me that this is a bad idea. Other groups however view this as good judgement, and common sense to them says it is a good idea.
It goes against common sense to me because I have a prejudice against drug dealing and dealers.
The other groups however have a prejudice for drug dealing and drug dealers.
A similar logic can be applied to practical and sensible

In the above arguments I have demonstrated how common sense sense is a collection of prejudice. It is the burden of con to offer another concept of common sense that holds up to my definition. (if you think this is unfair don't take the debate, but don't use parameter bias as an argument)
The only part of the quote I have not shown is "by age 18"
18 is an arbitrary cut off accepted by modern society to be more or less adulthood, so the quote is saying prejudices acquired during childhood.
I recognize that common sense does continue to change slowly during adulthood as new prejudices are introduced, but most deep prejudices that contribute to common sense form as a child.

1) www.google.com/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en|en&hl=en&q=common%20sense
FormAndTheFormless

Con

"Common Sense - Your common sense is your natural ability to make good judgments and to behave in a practical and sensible way."

"Prejudice - Having an opinion on some one or something before seeing it"

I will accept the definitions of the terms "common sense" and "prejudice" as proposed by my opponent in round one.

I would also like to point out that my opponent has chosen to equate the term "by age eighteen" to "adulthood;" which instead makes the resolution:

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired during childhood."

By accepting this debate, and consequently the terms presented by my opponent, I must present my own concept of common sense which better conforms to the definition above.

Arguments:

The concept of good judgment:

Firstly, I would like to disagree with my opponent's proposition that good judgment is entirely relative to the opinion of others.

In the case of inheritable prejudices, questioning the opinion of others is necessary when attempting to determine whether such opinions should be continually acted upon or abandoned. Reserving judgment to social responses by one's family or friends severely defies the definition of "common sense" as provided by my opponent.
I will explain why this is so in the following argument.

Practicality and sensibility:

Before I go any further, I must first define a few terms:

+1 "Practical - Capable of or suitable to being used or put into effect; useful."

+2 "Sense - The normal ability to think or reason soundly."

In order to exhibit common sense, one must behave practically and sensibly. In order to behave both practically and sensibly, one must first determine the practicality of their actions.

In the case of this debate, it is reasonable to conclude that my opponent believes that an opinion is

+3 "a generally held view"

considering his elaboration on the mechanics of inheritable prejudices and good judgment according to social justification instead of justification based on reason.

Practical behavior, i.e. behavior which is useful or suitable, is not determinable simply by having a generally held view; one needs to logically justify their behavior to better determine if it would indeed be practical before acting.

Such logical justification involves understanding the mechanics involved in a situation and using previous experiences and established knowledge to better determine if a specific course of action is suitable or useful.

Good judgment is not purely socially determinable, but instead determinable through the analysis of the reasons for which an act is committed. If the reasons that an action was committed are considered poor or unfounded, then such behavior could be said to have been based on "bad judgment." (I would also like to point out that it is possible for one to look back upon their actions and determine them to be based upon bad judgment; social justification does not necessitate good judgment.)

Logical justification allows one to exhibit behavior which they have determined is beneficiary to their survival and is a natural ability insomuch that it is a normally occurring capability in humans. I will also accept my opponent's proposition that natural ability is meant to mean "an innate sense" as long as my definition of "sense" is retained and the definition of innate is accepted as follows:

+4 "Innate - Existing in, belonging to, or determined by factors present in an individual from birth."

I assert that common sense is not "the collection of prejudices acquired during childhood" as described by my opponent; but instead propose the following:

"Common sense is logically analyzing a situation and then acting according to sound reason."

My concept of common sense meets the requirement of being both practical and sensible behavior, being based on good judgment and being a natural ability.

Definitions:
+1 – (4)Practical - http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
+2 – (4b)Sense - http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
+3 – (2b)Opinion - http://www.merriam-webster.com...
+4 – (1)Innate - http://www.merriam-webster.com...
gizmo1650

Pro

gizmo1650 forfeited this round.
FormAndTheFormless

Con

Please extend all arguments.
gizmo1650

Pro

gizmo1650 forfeited this round.
FormAndTheFormless

Con

I would like to again ask for all arguments to be extended. Hopefully my opponent will be able to post some sort of rebuttal before this debate ends.
gizmo1650

Pro

gizmo1650 forfeited this round.
FormAndTheFormless

Con

Unfortunately my opponent has neither defended his concept of common sense nor provided any arguments against the concept I have presented. Hopefully he will provide a reason for his absence in his concluding statements.
gizmo1650

Pro

gizmo1650 forfeited this round.
FormAndTheFormless

Con

None of the arguments that I have presented against my opponent's concept of common sense have been disputed and my opponent has presented no arguments against my own concept of common sense; vote for con.

*I would also like voters to assume that all definitions that I have presented are considered accepted by my opponent since he has forfeited all succeeding rounds.*
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Too bad Pro failed to show up. It might have been a good debate.

I think people form many broad principles in childhood that are difficult to supplant, but by no means impossible. People use rationalizations as a substitute for reasons. A child who is taught and who believes something weird may well mature to be a learned professor with the same weird belief, but as a learned professor he will be able to formulate wonderfully sophisticated arguments, backed by journal references, to support his weird belief. Common sense is short-circuit thinking by which issues are resolved by overarching principles rather than detailed reasoning. If we didn't do that, we wold be forever frozen in pondering. The answer is to know when to abandon old beliefs in favor of new ones. People don't do that too often.

There is my 25 cents worth of philosophizing on the subject. The topic merits at least $2 worth.
Posted by FormAndTheFormless 7 years ago
FormAndTheFormless
This was a very disappointing debate gizmo1650; I hope you enjoyed whatever it was that you were doing during your spring break.
Posted by grahamreiver 7 years ago
grahamreiver
@Sorrow: holy s**t and hellfire....why didn't someone forewarn me?....let me think....where would i not go if i was a chicken?........................i'm going to have to stand in the middle of I-75 near Georgia Tech....this will surely be a death sentence. Come on, Koopin. I think you knew something about these vicious chickens. Whose side are you on, anyhow?
Posted by GeoLaureate8 7 years ago
GeoLaureate8
Interesting debate.
FormAndTheFormless
I guess I have nothing better to do considering that my other debate is most likely going to be a no show.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Agreed, Roy. I would certainly take this debate if it weren't so agonizingly long.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
A debate with five rounds of 8,000 characters on so narrow a topic meets the international definition of "torture." I think you should go for a three round debate. I think it is an interesting topic.

Also, lowering the voting period to one month helps prevent vote bombing. That's when you manage to tick someone off on the site, and they then go back and vote against you in all you past debates.
Posted by Sorrow 7 years ago
Sorrow
Grahamreiver it is unfortunate that you had to post that picture, as you have now been tracked and targeted by the KFLDC, the Konfederation For the Liberation of Domestic Chickens.

Within 24 hours a black van will be sent to your house, composed of 10 highly elite and highly qualified and highly trained masqueraded chickens.

Do not attempt to subjugate their authority. All your base are belong to us.
Posted by grahamreiver 7 years ago
grahamreiver
KFC?

Koopin...do they know about...*dum* *dum* *dum*....The Big Chicken?:

https://secure.reservexl.net...
Posted by Sorrow 7 years ago
Sorrow
I approve of that message.
Vote Placed by Grape 7 years ago
Grape
gizmo1650FormAndTheFormlessTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
gizmo1650FormAndTheFormlessTied