Nexus77
SyAmbrosio

Community governments or anarchist communes, is it possible?

Nexus77

Pro

The chance for equality, liberty, and fairness can be achieved when all forms of governance is downsized to individuals or communities that think alike. By achieving the dream, one must eliminate corporations, state institutions, and big society itself before peace can exist.
SyAmbrosio

Con

I accept the con side of this debate and thank Nexus77 for proposing it.

As an ardent anarchist, I begin my contrary stance with some degree of inner conflict. On the one hand, I can understand the hierarchical and abusive nature of corporations, governments and artificial organizations. Our evolutionary short-comings, physical and psychological, naturally lead us to stratify organizations, develop in-groups, ostracize disobedient types and otherwise punish those that do not conform to ever-changing rules and unspoken truths. Organizations are cruel because they establish themselves in a world that is constantly evolving. Organizations assume they know some level of truth.

But dissolving all structure in society to a communal and individual level cannot be done with haste. Nuclear powerplants, nuclear missiles, land mines from old wars, chemical and biological weapons... all of these things require global scale organizations to manage and dispose of safely. Communes do not have the extent of energy or industry needed to manage the globalized world. To scale back the globalized world and develop off-grid decentralized communities will leave humanity exposed to fast spreading disease, natural disasters and subsequent mass migrations.

My issue with the argument is not that it is wrong, but that it is not the time to undertake such a goal. Anarchism will have its day, but today the world must continue to globalize and interconnect so that better technologies can be developed. No doubt anarchism should be the ultimate goal, but impatience will not do. Therefore I argue that for the safety and livelihood - and by proxy the equality and liberty of all - must be protected via globalization and highly structured resource/energy management until such time as communes can live without imports or exports or any co-dependence.
Nexus77

Pro

Nexus77 forfeited this round.
SyAmbrosio

Con

SyAmbrosio forfeited this round.
Nexus77

Pro

Nexus77 forfeited this round.
SyAmbrosio

Con

SyAmbrosio forfeited this round.
Posted by PyroReset 1 year ago
PyroReset
It's definitely possible, but it wouldn't happen anytime soon.
Posted by izzyball 1 year ago
izzyball
It may work in a small community setting (a school project for example) but I don't think it works on a larger scale. I'm interested in knowing if this question would apply say to countries or even cities.