emowl
jwesbruce

Competitive Cheerleading is a sport

Started: 4/19/2012 Category: Sports

emowl

Pro

This is about COMPETITIVE cheerleading (also known as allstar cheerleading) not sideline cheerleading!
First I will tell you what allstar cheerleading is.
Allstar cheerleading teams have routines which feature stunts, tumbling, motions, dances, and jumps. For certain stunts and tumbling, you get a certain amount of points. The points are out of 100, and the team who gets the highest score from the judges wins.
Here is an example below (that's a senior coed level 5 team, which is pretty ba)
jwesbruce

Con

Sport is defined as "jest"

by:http://dictionary.reference.com...

And also by...........

my say.

Neither a dictionary-definition nor a "contextually defined" statement was offered to this vital word of the resolution as such I decree this our definition of "sport." :

A jest.

My opponent has stated that "Competitive cheerleading" is defined as "allstar cheerleading."

Now that we have meaning to every key term in the resolution we may proceed.

Competitive cheerleading is a great physical activity as we see in the video, but my opponent cannot possibly prove today's resolution--that it is a jest. The two being one is absolutely impossible.

One is a organized program.

One is someone who makes you laugh.

They are holistically exclusive of each other.

Vote Con.

emowl

Pro

Obviously my opponent shouldn't be taken seriously since he/she does not know what a sport is. A jest? He/she knows very well what I was talking about when I said 'sport', but, I guess I will define it for you; A sport is an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. (as stated on your link) Since allstar cheerleading does require skill and physical prowess, and is of competitive nature, it is obviously a sport.
jwesbruce

Con

"Since allstar cheerleading does require skill and physical prowess, and is of competitive nature, it is obviously a sport"

Given the definition offered in Round 1 we know this absolutely impossible.

Cheerleading requires skill, physical prowess, and it can be competitive but this "is" not the equivalent to a jest.

My opponent failed to define until the second round which is abusive to this debate in general as such you should always favor Round 1 definitions being that sport is a jest according to dictionary.com

My opponent says:

"A sport is an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. (as stated on your link) "

She absolutely gives no reason why this definition is favorable. She only says it was on the same link well so was mine.

My opponent, thus far, has failed to satisfy the BOP that allstar cheerleading is the equivalent of a jest.
emowl

Pro

emowl forfeited this round.
jwesbruce

Con

And:

Are clearly different things.

And she agrees:

PRO CONCEDES THE FOLLOWING:

1. She absolutely gives no reason why this definition is favorable.

2. My opponent failed to define until the second round which is abusive to this debate in general as such you should always favor Round 1 definitions being that sport is a jest according to dictionary.com

3. My opponent, thus far, has failed to satisfy the BOP that allstar cheerleading is the equivalent of a jest.

4. I did give a favorable reason: dictionary.com, First Round definitions, non-abusive, etc....

With those conceded as a truth we left with the inevitable conclusion of:

PRO has not met the BOP to demonstrate how allstar cheerleading is a jest.

SO

Clearly allstar cheerleading, one of my all-time favorite activities to watch, is not a jest.

DON'T MAKE A JOKE OUT OF CHEERLEADING!

VOTE CON