Rottencat
coolkid1231

Competitive Horse Riding is a Sport

Rottencat
Started: 9/18/2014 Category: Sports

Rottencat

Pro

I am an Eventer, someone who rides in Events competitively. Events include three main stages: Dressage, Stadium Jumping, and Cross-Country Jumping. I agree that this is a sport, as well as other competitive forms of riding. I do not, however, believe that trail riding and riding for pleasure are sports. In both of these, nothing is demanded from either horse or rider other than to move forward and occasionally turn. But in competitive events, both Western and English, the horse and rider complete a set pattern in time. While watching an event horse and rider, it is easy to believe that the rider is doing nothing, simply staying on the horse with minimal control. This is the point, to make it look as simple as possible. I assure you, there is much more to riding. In reality, the amount of muscle needed for doing this sport competitively is great. The legs, torso, hips, shoulders, arms, hands, feet, head, etc. of a rider are key in positioning, and the horse has a set of demands to be met as well. Horse riding in itself may not always be competitive, but there is no doubt in my mind that competitive riders are athletes doing a sport, and one that is as honorable as any other.
coolkid1231

Con

I say that most people think it is a sport but I don't so it is my opinion so be it.
Rottencat

Pro

I would like to hear your reasoning for your objections to it being a sport.
coolkid1231

Con

I'm new so I'll give it my best. I don't think it is a sport because I would do it for fun and every one I they just do it for fun.
Rottencat

Pro

So are you saying that another sport like, say, soccer or baseball can't be played for fun? That's not really strengthening your argument much.
coolkid1231

Con

coolkid1231 forfeited this round.
Rottencat

Pro

There is no doubt in my mind that competitively riding a horse is a sport. If you have any evidence as to the contrary, please present it.
coolkid1231

Con

coolkid1231 forfeited this round.
Rottencat

Pro

Rottencat forfeited this round.
coolkid1231

Con

Some people have horses for pleasure riding. They like to move slowly down trails on the backs of their four-legged friends, taking in the scenery. Horse riding not a national sport and some people don't think it is a sport. I don't think it is a sport, so if you respect other people you should respect me i'm just like other people.
This is my conclusion I respect people so good luck.
Posted by Rottencat 2 years ago
Rottencat
abirk903, thank you for pointing that out. As you can see I have modified the title. Thanks again!
Posted by aburk903 2 years ago
aburk903
You undermine your own resolution in the first round. To say that not all forms of horse riding are sports after solely proposing that "horse riding is a sport" is contradictory. A better topic might be, "Competitive horse riding is a sport". I'd accept, but I don't feel like spending five rounds on semantics.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
Rottencatcoolkid1231Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the multiple forfeits. Given that Con had abandoned the debate, I don't hold Pro's last round forfeit against him. Con presented no arguments, explicitly stating that he was presenting his opinion. Not only that, but he seems to have ignored that Pro explicitly was talking about *competitive* riding, and most of Con's points were about horseriding in general. Pro didn't present much to support it being a sport--no definitions, not much of a standard that horseriding can meet, but what little Pro presented went unrebutted by Con. Arguments to Pro.