kkjeldgaard12
Russia_The_almighty

Competitive cheerleading is a sport

kkjeldgaard12
Started: 2/11/2015 Category: Sports

kkjeldgaard12

Pro

Cheerleading IS a sport. I am a cheerleader and cheering is the hardest thing I have ever done, harder than football, soccer, baseball or any other sport and trust me I have played them all!

The definition of sport is "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against others for entertainment."

Cheer is an activity, it involves physical exertion, it involves skill, we have teams and we compete against others for entertainment.
Russia_The_almighty

Con

I accept. When have you ever heard people say"There's a cheer match *name* lets go see it!" I don't think it's entertainment to most. I'll continue the next round.
kkjeldgaard12

Pro

Its actually a cheer competition and yes a lot of people go to see it its always really crowded there.

Cheerleading is one of the most dangerous sports in the world, I get injured a lot from cheerleading.

In football you run around with a ball in your hand, In baseball, you hit a ball and run, in tennis you chase a ball and hit it, in soccer you run around a field and kick a ball and in cheerleading you jump, stunt, tumble and dance. How is football, baseball, tennis and soccer a sport but not cheerleading?
Russia_The_almighty

Con

Of course people will go see something like a cheer competition and you might see people watch paint dry (trust me I've seen people do it for hours). If everything entertaining anyone building a boat would be a sport. You should have skill, it has physical exertion, and to some it could be entertaining. Also US court ruled cheer leading is not a sport
http://www.businessinsider.com...

In another part of debate.org this person posted this in an opinion.
"If a cheerleader asked me if I think cheerleading is a sport I would say did you win? How many points did you get? If they could not answer then cheerleading is NOT a sport! Cheerleaders also get their makeup and hair done. Do real athletes do that??? NO!!!!! If you know someone that is a cheerleader copy and paste this and send it to her. Thanks!"
Just because what he said at the end I just did what was said.
kkjeldgaard12

Pro

Okay obviously you don't know anything about the world of cheerleading...
At my last competition we got 1st place (Same thing as winning) and we got 95/100 points. Also, cheerleaders only get their hair and makeup done because can be fabulous, do backflips, lift people over our heads,raise up our feet over our heads and dance all at the same time. Sounds like jealousy.
Russia_The_almighty

Con

Well cheer leading isn't my specialty, really this was a bit out of my element to have done this debate. You still didn't say anything of the US court ruling I placed there on how it was stated that cheer leading is not a sport. It was done by the US court of appeals to state that it's not a sport. I'm no cheerleader, but i can put both my legs behind my head and the cheerleaders I know can only do one leg. Either this is something people with Russian blood can do unlike others (probably isn't) or you don't have to be a cheerleader to do this.

BTW is this correct grammar of what you put? "Also, cheerleaders only get their hair and makeup done because can be fabulous"
Since when has saying "because can" been right grammar? Not in Russia -_-
Posted by Dan_Heatley 1 year ago
Dan_Heatley
Chearleading seems to resemble a beauty pageant closer than it does a sport in its "scoring" system. The title says it all chearleading, cheer. The intended purpose of chearleading was to motivate and support real sports teams.
Posted by themoongirl 1 year ago
themoongirl
it is a sport because you get judged at how good you do, and there are competitions
Posted by Russia_The_almighty 1 year ago
Russia_The_almighty
As pro said Definition of sport"An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against others for entertainment." I'm just using that with my argument.
Posted by RyddianDynia 1 year ago
RyddianDynia
Hello, pro, you are debating me right now on a different subject. Anyway, con, pro isn't arguing that cheer leading is entertaining, but simply that it is a sport. A fundamental misunderstanding of the debate at hand is extremely unproductive...
Vote Placed by Domr 1 year ago
Domr
kkjeldgaard12Russia_The_almightyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con is the only one who used source. by the definition given in rd 1. Pro showed how cheer leading has competitions with teams, and use physical exertion and skill. (tumbling, dancing, etc)
Vote Placed by RavenDebater 1 year ago
RavenDebater
kkjeldgaard12Russia_The_almightyTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was all over the place. Ill just go down the line Conduct: Con calling out Pro for grammar mistakes in an insulting manner lost this area in a heartbeat. Spelling & Grammar: obvious reasons Convincing Arguments: This goes to Pro for sure. The supreme court argument has no relevance in this debate, and the ability for Pro to identify a point and competition system was vastly better than Con's petty attempts to refute by saying basically "Most people don't associate cheerleading as a sport" was downright pitiful. Sources: This goes to Con by default
Vote Placed by Reeseroni 1 year ago
Reeseroni
kkjeldgaard12Russia_The_almightyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro states and clearly defines reason of why competitive cheerleading is a sport, provides better arguments, and does not have grammatical errors. Con has 1 source while Pro has none, thus the category goes to Con.